Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 02:52 PM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm staying away from the multi state lotteries because even if they are completely fair and square, they don't really give the impression that they are. Plus, there are other drawbacks to getting such an enormous amount of money - you would be walking around with a target on your back for scammers and even entire crime rings. No thanks.
Yeah but if you wear a tinfoil hat and sunglasses nobody will bother you!

Do you realize if you go to places like the Hamptons, Miami Beach or Palm Beach there could be a billionaire sitting at the table next to you at lunch? Google top billionaires Forbes list and some of the people are truly nobody you would ever recognize.

I've known 3 people that won the lotteries (one won state lottery twice), the other two won multistate jackpots. 2 of the 3 were very under the radar types. One guy i knew for 10 years before I found out he won (tens of millions).

So the moral of the story is how you conduct yourself will likely determine if you become a target or simply be a regular person no one notices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 07:22 AM

50,963 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yeah but if you wear a tinfoil hat and sunglasses nobody will bother you!

Do you realize if you go to places like the Hamptons, Miami Beach or Palm Beach there could be a billionaire sitting at the table next to you at lunch? Google top billionaires Forbes list and some of the people are truly nobody you would ever recognize.

I've known 3 people that won the lotteries (one won state lottery twice), the other two won multistate jackpots. 2 of the 3 were very under the radar types. One guy i knew for 10 years before I found out he won (tens of millions).

So the moral of the story is how you conduct yourself will likely determine if you become a target or simply be a regular person no one notices.

The stories I've read indicate that's not true. Winning a couple million is miles apart from winning close to a billion.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:23 PM

17,639 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm staying away from the multi state lotteries because even if they are completely fair and square, they don't really give the impression that they are. Plus, there are other drawbacks to getting such an enormous amount of money - you would be walking around with a target on your back for scammers and even entire crime rings. No thanks.

Now, let me be clear on one thing.. Whether you play or don't play the lottery. That's totally up to you. And, as always, you can believe what you want. I don't want to come off as "I'm trying to convince you to play".. Not at all. You're probably smarter than those of us who ever have spent a dollar on them. Especially those of us who.. For lack of a better way of saying it.. Think that's it's just not worth it to win only $100 million.. So, I don't play until it hits a billion.

Now, why we do.. I can't speak for everyone, just myself. I might spend $20 every few months on tickets.. Usually 2 $10 scratchers. Much better odds there, but, that's not the focus. Look, I can afford the $20, and once a month or so, I buy those scratchers, or, the big lotteries (if they're worth winning, that is) and.. For a few hours.. I get a little pleasure. Makes me dream a little bit, if I won enough, about retiring and devoting myself to documenting cemeteries full time.. Starting a charity, which for me, would be providing tombstones for a loved one to people who can't afford it. (Yeah, people who get buried in unmarked graves.. One of the top things that bothers me)

For.. A few minutes.. A few hours.. Even a few days.. I hear about the lottery and.. each time I do.. Those little dreams pop back up for a few moments.

Now.. I may be silly for that.. But.. Rest assured.. Feet are FIRMLY on the ground. About $20 a month is the limit.. I know it's not likely to happen (Yep, I said not likely, not "not going to happen", so you know the dreams are still alive! lol) but.. Hey.. It's my money, I can afford it.. I like that little feeling here and there.

Now.. You win money like that.. Pending on where you live.. You don't have to tell people you won. You can claim anonymous. Not like people won't figure it out, but..

Yep. You're gonna get scammed some. That's why they say.. First thing you do, get an attorney. And hopefully, the attorney isn't scamming you.

All in all tho.. I'd just rather have the money and be able to accomplish some of those things I dream about. As long as I can do that.. I'd be fine with it.

Anyway.. You do you. I disagree with you about that the lotteries look like they're scams.. But.. Hey.. It doesn't matter a bit.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:22 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,994,804 times
These two would probably be the hardest to rig. They made the odds so bad that you are really just buying the fantasy of winning, although eventually someone finally wins. I've been playing two sets of numbers on both games, one since 2011 and the other since 2014. Afterall, no possibility of winning if you aren't in it. And 2nd prize is a million dollars, more if you play the Power Play and Megaplier, which I don't. I used to until they raised the price to $2/play per line.

By the way, when I have money from paychecks and tax returns I invest/trade in the stock market, so the lottery isn't my 'retirement plan'. And I very, very rarely order from a restaurant or buy alcohol and I don't smoke. Don't even pay for cable. Once in awhile I pay for Sling TV for a couple of months but then get rid of it for a few months. My expenses are very low so playing the lottery isn't a strain on my finances. I enjoy the anticipation of seeing if my numbers come up. You just never know.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:23 AM

17,639 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
These two would probably be the hardest to rig. They made the odds so bad that you are really just buying the fantasy of winning, although eventually someone finally wins. I've been playing two sets of numbers on both games, one since 2011 and the other since 2014. Afterall, no possibility of winning if you aren't in it. And 2nd prize is a million dollars, more if you play the Power Play and Megaplier, which I don't. I used to until they raised the price to $2/play per line.

By the way, when I have money from paychecks and tax returns I invest/trade in the stock market, so the lottery isn't my 'retirement plan'. And I very, very rarely order from a restaurant or buy alcohol and I don't smoke. Don't even pay for cable. Once in awhile I pay for Sling TV for a couple of months but then get rid of it for a few months. My expenses are very low so playing the lottery isn't a strain on my finances. I enjoy the anticipation of seeing if my numbers come up. You just never know.

Oh.. You play the OTHER lottery. lol.

Kidding. I'm the same. I don't play numbers. I let the machine pick. It can do just as good a job as me. I will say, tho.. The one that ticks me off.. I go out and pick up 5 tickets.. And, like you.. I don't play the 'multiplier' or whatever. I figure i'm already losing $2 per ticket, no need to make it $3.

But.. Let's say I get 5 tickets.. And then I look at it, and the damn computer has given me 2 tickets with the powerball of 14 and another two with it at 5.

Which.. And.. Please, don't check the math, it's 9am, I'm probably doing it wrong.. But.. As I recall, there are 55 powerball numbers.. Which takes my odds of winning even a $3-$4 return on a ticket from about 1 in 11 to 3 in 55.

I would be curious. If you took 20 years of Powerball/Mega Millions winners.. The ones who won the top prize, regardless of how large it was.. How many were computer picked numbers vs someone like you who plays 'their' numbers?

Statistically.. Either way has an equal chance. As we've said, each ticket has the exact same odds.

That being said, I'd have to believe that it skews to computer picked numbers winning more often, simply because there are more people who let the computer pick. At least, that'd be my assumption.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:34 AM

16,323 posts, read 10,454,355 times
I have never purchased a ticket but do get them as gifts at a holiday party. Nobody in the history of that party has ever come close. But the OP does not appear to understand statistics and simple math. Obviously when the pot grows larger more tickets are sold, which always amused me. What exactly is the difference between winning 80 million and 120,000 million anyway? But obviously when more tickets are purchased the odds of someone wining will also increase, but the odds of one ticket winning never changes.

As for the stories of past winners I am under the belief that the majority of people who purchase lottery tickets are low income. Once they come upon a windfall such as this they simply do not know how to manage money very well. I know if I hit I would never be broke in 5 years or ever.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:50 AM

9,935 posts, read 4,689,551 times
I get lottery fever every now and then play for a few weeks. As soon as I get involved in a system or research it's time to quit.

Just the consolation prize of picking some number would be enough for me especially with the large jackpot

Old 04-21-2024, 10:03 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,994,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Oh.. You play the OTHER lottery. lol.

Kidding. I'm the same. I don't play numbers. I let the machine pick. It can do just as good a job as me. I will say, tho.. The one that ticks me off.. I go out and pick up 5 tickets.. And, like you.. I don't play the 'multiplier' or whatever. I figure i'm already losing $2 per ticket, no need to make it $3.

But.. Let's say I get 5 tickets.. And then I look at it, and the damn computer has given me 2 tickets with the powerball of 14 and another two with it at 5.

Which.. And.. Please, don't check the math, it's 9am, I'm probably doing it wrong.. But.. As I recall, there are 55 powerball numbers.. Which takes my odds of winning even a $3-$4 return on a ticket from about 1 in 11 to 3 in 55.

I would be curious. If you took 20 years of Powerball/Mega Millions winners.. The ones who won the top prize, regardless of how large it was.. How many were computer picked numbers vs someone like you who plays 'their' numbers?

Statistically.. Either way has an equal chance. As we've said, each ticket has the exact same odds.

That being said, I'd have to believe that it skews to computer picked numbers winning more often, simply because there are more people who let the computer pick. At least, that'd be my assumption.
I've seen statistics a few times showing the percentage of winners who chose to pick their own numbers versus using auto-pick pretty closely matched the percentage of tickets purchased in that way. Considering the terrible odds it makes sense. I just like having the same numbers, effectively being a stationary target. One guy I saw on tv played the same numbers for 20 years before winning.

Something I've noticed with the machines I've purchased tickets out of here in Ohio is that the printed tickets, games like Powerball & Megamillions, I almost always have two numbers that are sequential, like 20 and 21 in the white ball section. Almost like they designed it that way since most drawings normally don't end up having two numbers that are sequential to each other. Once in awhile I buy tickets out of the machine just for an extra chance of winning.

Most money I've won has been on scratchoffs, which I don't even play much of, $500 on a $5 scratchoff being the highest prize. I did win $300 on a printed ticket, Ohio's Rolling Cash 5, getting 4 out of 5 numbers correct on an auto-pick. Haven't played much of anything lately besides my regular numbers on the two big games.

And yes, I play the other lottery. Hard to win there too unless you are ok with small gains. If you take big risks hoping to get a nice stash of cash to trade bigger and better with, you are likely to fail, as I have too many times. Expecting 2024 to turn out much better in the end for me personally. Learning from my mistakes and opportunities may be better this year in the OTC and with other penny stocks.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:28 PM

17,428 posts, read 16,602,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Now, let me be clear on one thing.. Whether you play or don't play the lottery. That's totally up to you. And, as always, you can believe what you want. I don't want to come off as "I'm trying to convince you to play".. Not at all. You're probably smarter than those of us who ever have spent a dollar on them. Especially those of us who.. For lack of a better way of saying it.. Think that's it's just not worth it to win only $100 million.. So, I don't play until it hits a billion.

Now, why we do.. I can't speak for everyone, just myself. I might spend $20 every few months on tickets.. Usually 2 $10 scratchers. Much better odds there, but, that's not the focus. Look, I can afford the $20, and once a month or so, I buy those scratchers, or, the big lotteries (if they're worth winning, that is) and.. For a few hours.. I get a little pleasure. Makes me dream a little bit, if I won enough, about retiring and devoting myself to documenting cemeteries full time.. Starting a charity, which for me, would be providing tombstones for a loved one to people who can't afford it. (Yeah, people who get buried in unmarked graves.. One of the top things that bothers me)

For.. A few minutes.. A few hours.. Even a few days.. I hear about the lottery and.. each time I do.. Those little dreams pop back up for a few moments.

Now.. I may be silly for that.. But.. Rest assured.. Feet are FIRMLY on the ground. About $20 a month is the limit.. I know it's not likely to happen (Yep, I said not likely, not "not going to happen", so you know the dreams are still alive! lol) but.. Hey.. It's my money, I can afford it.. I like that little feeling here and there.

Now.. You win money like that.. Pending on where you live.. You don't have to tell people you won. You can claim anonymous. Not like people won't figure it out, but..

Yep. You're gonna get scammed some. That's why they say.. First thing you do, get an attorney. And hopefully, the attorney isn't scamming you.

All in all tho.. I'd just rather have the money and be able to accomplish some of those things I dream about. As long as I can do that.. I'd be fine with it.

Anyway.. You do you. I disagree with you about that the lotteries look like they're scams.. But.. Hey.. It doesn't matter a bit.
I'd bought tickets from time to time over the years, mostly when the jackpots got really big and people were talking about it. I never bought tickets expecting to win but I always had fun dreaming about winning. You don't have a chance of winning unless you have a ticket, right?

Of course, that's only true if the lottery is not rigged in some way and, unfortunately, in this day and time I'm just not convinced that it isn't rigged. And I don't want to contribute a dime to that.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:24 PM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The stories I've read indicate that's not true. Winning a couple million is miles apart from winning close to a billion.
And again if you visit Palm Beach or the Hamptons you could be sitting next to a billionaire at a restaurant. How are these people living out in the free world? No kidnapping, no robberies........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events