Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM

592 posts, read 2,026,532 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy an americn bike that is well made and a price that is similar to there china competition . I need names please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,760,692 times
By "price that is similar to there china competition," are you referring to bicycle prices at big box stores (wal-mart, target, sports authority, etc)? You won't find a well-made bike at that price-point. I use to work on product safety, and bicycles was one of my areas. Don't buy a cheap bicycle. Don't even buy an expensive bicycle sold at a big-box store. Well, I suppose if all you wanted to do was ride around on the sidewalks, you might be ok. But I saw front wheels fall off, forks break, and all sorts of nastiness even on the sidewalk, for example when a kid hit a tree root growing through the sidewalk. Or a adult killed when his the quick-release on his front wheel failed and he was thrown off (no helmet). And that was just hitting a speed bump at normal speeds.

Go to a bike specialty store and find a bike that will last you for 10 years.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,070,247 times
Two names is all you need but you'll spend some bucks which you will learn to appreciate

Cannondale
Gary Fisher

These are the two brands I've riden for years and they're absolutely awesome and American made. Test drive them. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 PM

592 posts, read 2,026,532 times
what about trek or trak.....any comments

Old 08-18-2007, 12:37 AM

801 posts, read 2,214,755 times
Adtobias...since you want to buy American, I'm assuming you're really just talking about the frame. In that case, Cannondale, Gary Fisher and Trek are the choices that come to mind for me. However, most of the other components are not going to be American. Shimano almost has a monopoly on drive trains and other major components. I don't know what your level of experience with mountains bikes is, but it would be good to talk with a knowledgeable sales person so you can explain what kind of riding you plan to do. If you're just now getting into mountain biking...it's great...so...enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling