Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times

Advertisements

Where/how can I buy/build a rear seat for my bicycle?

Yes, I know it is supposedly "illegal" but I don't care and neither do the cops. I've never worn spandex and I retired my bike helmet when I stopped commuting 30 miles and my average speed dropped below 20 mph.

Once upon a time, my bicycle was a shiny proud entry-level 24-speed mountain bike. 20 crashes, about 15,000 miles as a commuter/utility bike, a surfboard rack, two rear luggage racks, 6 new sets of handlebar grips, 10 new inner-tubes, 3 sets of worn-through tires (road and mountain), 2 new sets of shifters, and 1 new set of wheels later it is now a beach/around-town utility bike.

I was using a luggage rack with cargo webbing and blankets as a backseat for my wife until I hit a particularily big pothole at too fast a speed and the rack buckled. We didn't even notice until we got home, but it's obvious that the rack meant for 25 lbs just isn't going to safely hold an adult passenger. My SO doesn't weigh much, but I'm guessing she's a little over 30lbs.

I saw tons of nice padded backseats in Taipei, but I can't find a single place that will even talk to me about it here in the States. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could look?

Also, is it possible to replace a quick-release rear axle/hub with a standard axle to which I could attach pegs for her feet? She doesn't complain, but I imagine perching your heels on the horizontal support bar about an inch from the spinning spokes can't be all that comfortable.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:23 AM

155 posts, read 942,051 times
BOBIKE MAXI CHILD BICYCLE CARRIER REAR MOUNT BRAND NEW! - eBay (item 260226047259 end time Apr-07-08 20:01:51 PDT) (broken link)
Something like this mabey. It says up to 55 lbs.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
That's just a bad idea all around, Fred. Get a tandem.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Do you work for Schwinn? Care to explain why it's a bad idea?

It seems to work for every other country, except the US. Even if I had a spare grand laying around, I wouldn't consider getting a tandem.

The point here is to conserve resources and money, not buy the most expensive bells-and-whistles thing I can find and chuck my old bike in the dumpster, like a typical American. Tandems are too specialized for my needs; the "passenger" can't ride in a long skirt and has to wedge her feet up on the frame if she doesn't care to peddle, tandem peddling has to always be syncronized, which is difficult in the low-speed stop-and-go environment where I need it, I can't strap cargo to the rear seat when I don't have a passenger, and the double-length and double-weight is a pain when riding alone, carrying the bike over or around obstacles, and/or locking it to a railing, sign, or tree in places where a bike rack is not available.

You might as well tell me to go trail-riding in a recumbant.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Do you work for Schwinn? Care to explain why it's a bad idea?

It seems to work for every other country, except the US. Even if I had a spare grand laying around, I wouldn't consider getting a tandem.

The point here is to conserve resources and money, not buy the most expensive bells-and-whistles thing I can find and chuck my old bike in the dumpster, like a typical American. Tandems are too specialized for my needs; the "passenger" can't ride in a long skirt and has to wedge her feet up on the frame if she doesn't care to peddle, tandem peddling has to always be syncronized, which is difficult in the low-speed stop-and-go environment where I need it, I can't strap cargo to the rear seat when I don't have a passenger, and the double-length and double-weight is a pain when riding alone, carrying the bike over or around obstacles, and/or locking it to a railing, sign, or tree in places where a bike rack is not available.

You might as well tell me to go trail-riding in a recumbant.
No I do not work for Schwinn. Are you trying to win a Darwin Award? The reason no bike shop wants to help you with what you want is because it is a sensless idea. No need for hyperbole. I didn't say get the most expesive "bells and whisltles." Have your friend get cheap wally-world bike or even used, don't attach some makeshift back seat. You do that, and the next thing you know, I'll see a story about you on the news. BTW, we have couples that do ride trails on 'bents, even 'bent tandems. YOu could save money and forego the back seat all together and just have them sit on your handlebars. That's about as smart an idea.

Last edited by PanTerra; 04-10-2008 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Still no explanation of the threat that backseats pose, just a lot of hand waving and allegory. I'm waiting to hear why having a passenger seated behind me on a utility bike travelling at low speed is apparently more dangerous than juggling chainsaws while blindfolded.

Edit: Actually, my original luggage rack/back seat conversion idea came from a bike shop tech who had done the same thing. My original back seat was a more robust rack that worked well until it was removed when my bike was stolen. After I found the guy that stole it, I recovered the bike but not the rack.

I installed a new rack, but it was a cheaper design which failed in a benign manner when I rode over a pothole. In lieu of purchasing another, stronger rack that is still not meant for passengers, I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions for real back seats--short of ordering one from overseas.

Last edited by sponger42; 04-10-2008 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM

34 posts, read 120,927 times
Two words: Police auction.

As to why it's a fantastically stupid idea, how much space do you have behind your seat? And what's your bike weigh, relative to your passenger? You're trying to make an extremely back-heavy bike. One good bump and your cg will be aft of your back wheel. I presume you know why that's a bad idea.

And seeing as I am the master of ghetto bike repairs (remember my threaded bolt/wing nut front axle? And my deraileur currently held on by a bolt/hex nut that's been hacksawed in half?), there's no way you're going to kludge a decent seat/peg combo for less than getting a new bike at WallyWorld, visiting a police auction, or--horror of horrors--going to a yard sale.

Now, if you're still dead set on installing a man-rated seat, there is another option. Take a welding class at your local community college. You get a new skill, and you can probably make your seat a class project.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Tandem recumbent bikes. I see them around all over the trails. There are different designs for the drivetrain depending on your needs as to who will propel and steer the bike.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patken44 View Post
Now, if you're still dead set ...
Appropriate use of words. The geometry of a bike frame and where a rider is positioned determines how it handles. Handling is seriously compromised when a bike, that is designed for one rider, is modified for two riders. This is compromised by doubling the mass and shifting the center of gravity back considerably. With the added mass, the bike will not brake or accelerate optimally. Since there is no rigid connection between you and your unwitting passenger, even holding your line is impossible and causes over-correcting steering. You become a disaster waiting to happen. This is all because the rider to bike weight ratio is huge where as on a motorcycle it is the opposite and the addition of another rider is not that big of a deal. With your record of 20 crashes in only 15,000 miles (I wouldn't be bragging about that record) better dust off that helmet.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM

155 posts, read 942,051 times
For seating see my previous post. Dont know if it's what your after.
For cargo I would look into a rack made for motorcycles. You could probably adapt one relitivly easiely. Might take some work but they are beefier than anything I have seen for bicycles.
Yamaha has some nice ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling