Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times

Advertisements

I really want to get serious about biking to school and possibly combining biking with public transportation for my commute to work. The bus stops running around 7 or so and I get off work at 9. I'd have to bike my way back home, which I don't think will be so bad. I have a pretty nice downhill ride for part of it.

I live about 7 miles from work and 4 miles from school. My only concern is just the speed of the cars and whether or not they will see me. The speed limit to my school is about 35-40 and it's somewhat hilly.

I am also really nervous about my bike being stolen.
Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will cover my bike if it's stolen? I have a pretty cheap model right now but I plan on saving for a bike. I'm on the fence about if I want an electric bike or not. Any tips or experiences are welcome. =]

Can anyone recommend:
a) a good bike chain or two to prevent theft
b) A good light for my bike. I'd prefer one that is powered by pedeal power rather than one I have to buy batteries for.

I'm pretty worried about the sweat factor since I'm a heavy sweater. Anyone have some unique or odd ways of dealing with sweat? I've found some tips online and I'm always open to more.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this. =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 04:50 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,980 times
biking is great.

get yourself a type 2 reflective vest if you are concerned about being seen. you can get them at work wear/construction type stores and possibly running/biking stores.

depending on your commute, whether it is all paved, dirt, or a combination will determine the type of bike you need. cyclocross type bikes are my fave for mixed terrain.

for anti-theft, make sure that there are no quick release items on your bike, front wheel, seat, etc. replace quick releases with standard bolts if needed. all locks can be broken so take a look at the local bike shop and ask for recommendations.

if buying a future bike, i suggest painting it a crappy color to make thieves look the other way. my bike was worth over a thousand dollars back in the day so i painted it poo brown. i still have it, and never had a theft issue at all.

for constant commuting, remember that it is all about comfort. make sure the bike fits you well. seats, seat posts, handle bars, stems, etc. are all changable for a reason.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Your renters or home owners insurance will likely cover your bike if it is stolen.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
get a cheap refurbished bike for your commuting so you're not out much if it's stolen. i had two separate bikes. i used an old Schwinn Letour for commuting. no one ever stole it perhaps because i gave it a really poor paint job when i was fixing it up.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
I wouldn't buy a show stopper bike either. Not for something that it's sole purpose in life is to get you back and forth and sits outside in the weather. Find a cheap-but-good bike on craigslist and get a U-lock.

If you do happen to get a good bike (>$500) talk to your insurance agent about insuring your bike for theft and vandalism both inside and outside your home. I know some will give you a policy specifically for small items like this. I heard someone say that they would insure his road racing bike as long as he didn't race it....lol Well anyway....I'm thinking you're not going to be doing much racing with it so maybe you won't have any problems getting it insured.

Reflective vests are good...but they also have plenty of cycling jackets out there with reflective strips sewn in. This will at least keep you from looking like a tool.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:03 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
Riding an old clunker to school got me started in road racing and led me to having a pretty decent cycling career, so your post brings back memories for me. For riding to school I would look on Craig's List and try to find an older, decent road bike that does not look pretty. I lucked out and found an old racing bike that was really beat up looking, but mechanically in good shape.

As far as insurance goes, make sure that you have receipts or a written appraisal from a bike shop. I used to work in a bike shop and had 2-3 calls a month from insurance adjusters who were shocked to learn that there are some bikes that are worth over $500. I ended up getting into an argument with one because he did not believe me when I told him that the bike he was checking on was a $2500 bike that had another $500 in upgrades to it.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
As far as insurance goes, make sure that you have receipts or a written appraisal from a bike shop. I used to work in a bike shop and had 2-3 calls a month from insurance adjusters who were shocked to learn that there are some bikes that are worth over $500. I ended up getting into an argument with one because he did not believe me when I told him that the bike he was checking on was a $2500 bike that had another $500 in upgrades to it.
Yeah...some people just don't get it. I would never tell my parents how much I've spent on my bike (even though I am 30 years old and have a family of my own). They would probably both have a heart attack and barate me for spending so much money on something so frivolous.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Reflective vests are good...but they also have plenty of cycling jackets out there with reflective strips sewn in. This will at least keep you from looking like a tool.
i agree that vests look dumb. if its a dark commute home, its the best choice. jackets with reflective stripes are great during the day and during dusk/dawn, but if its a busy street, youre risking a lot.

i wear a vest all day long at my job (public works). its not that bad.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
...but if its a busy street, youre risking a lot.
No doubt! A lot of cycling advocates want the right to ride anywhere. I say motorists can keep some of those streets! I'm pretty selective about where I ride. I don't like being on the same road with cars that are traveling in excess of 55mph without a paved shoulder to ride on. And also excessivly busy streets are off limits to me. People just aren't paying attention anymore. They're too busy trying to find their favorite tune on their ipod while having that all-important cell phone conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
...i wear a vest all day long at my job (public works). its not that bad.
Ain't nothing wrong with wearing it for a living!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Yeah...some people just don't get it. I would never tell my parents how much I've spent on my bike (even though I am 30 years old and have a family of my own). They would probably both have a heart attack and barate me for spending so much money on something so frivolous.
same here on my bike back in the day, and hoping to get back into quite heavily as soon as funds allow. my parents also have no idea how much ive soent on tattoos... they dont need the heart attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling