Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 PM

57 posts, read 60,328 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a man 70 years old and spend over an hour at the gym daily. My resting pulse is normal, about 60. I have no known heart problems, and am not on any drugs. My concern is that it is quite hard for me to get my pulse over 100. Walking at four miles per hour does it, and it feels quite difficult. Some friends my age are jogging at 6 MPH with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:15 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
My resting pulse is 54. I was sort of worried when the cardiologist told me about it. I googled it, and it is a typical pulse of an athlete. Go figure.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I have the opposite problem. My normal pulse runs about 90. My wife and I walk 3 to 5 miles a day and were doing a lot of hills until recently due to her knee issue. She needs a total Knee Replacement on her left knee. When she gets that done, we'll be walking Alpine trail again, a 20% grade trail that goes for miles and miles. That will help.

Have you had a treadmill stress test? If you can walk 6 miles an hour at a 10% grade, that should get your pulse up. It usually involves being hooked up to heart monitors and can tell you quite a lot.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
Hi, I'm a man 70 years old and spend over an hour at the gym daily. My resting pulse is normal, about 60. I have no known heart problems, and am not on any drugs. My concern is that it is quite hard for me to get my pulse over 100. Walking at four miles per hour does it, and it feels quite difficult. Some friends my age are jogging at 6 MPH with no problem.
Is there a reason why you haven't asked your doctor? S/He's the one you should address with your concerns. Do you get annual check-ups? You certainly should, at your age.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:

What do you mean by "hard to get my pulse over 100".. you mean it won't go that high (cuz you're in such good shape)… or because you poop out before it gets that high (sign of coronary disease, among other possibilities)….the low resting pulse suggest you're in good shape, but could also mean "small vessel disease" affecting the conduction system of the heart, preventing you from achieving a higher HR.

Unusual shortness of breath on exercise is a much more common complaint in guys with coronary disease than is classic angina- heavy pressure/pain in the chest.

Coronary disease aside, the difference between "being in good shape (trained athlete)" vs "not in good shape" (un-trained) is how the heart responds to exercise and increased oxygen demand by the muscles.
The untrained heart beats faster to supply more blood to the body, while the trained heart responds first by supplying more blood with bigger beats, so the pulse tends to be lower at any given level of work.

Better see your doc.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
are you talking about pulse or heart rate? for exercise, I try to stay in the 70-80% zone.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:06 PM

57 posts, read 60,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
What do you mean by "hard to get my pulse over 100".. you mean it won't go that high (cuz you're in such good shape)… or because you poop out before it gets that high (sign of coronary disease, among other possibilities)….the low resting pulse suggest you're in good shape, but could also mean "small vessel disease" affecting the conduction system of the heart, preventing you from achieving a higher HR.

Unusual shortness of breath on exercise is a much more common complaint in guys with coronary disease than is classic angina- heavy pressure/pain in the chest.

Coronary disease aside, the difference between "being in good shape (trained athlete)" vs "not in good shape" (un-trained) is how the heart responds to exercise and increased oxygen demand by the muscles.
The untrained heart beats faster to supply more blood to the body, while the trained heart responds first by supplying more blood with bigger beats, so the pulse tends to be lower at any given level of work.

Better see your doc.
Yes, I will see my doctor, but I would like to figure out what's happening. At my age my max heart rate should be 220 minus my age or 150. Walking at 4 MPH on a treadmill gets my heart rate up to 105 and feels moderately hard. I am not breathing hard and not sweating much at all. On the elliptical machine if I really push I can get my pulse up to 115 but I tire quickly. I am normal weight. Years ago I found that my max heart rate was what the 220- my age said it should be.

My body is reacting as if I was on a beta blocker that was preventing my heart from beating too fast. I need to have hard data to show my doctor.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:30 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
YOUR DOCTOR will find those hard data.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Since you are past 50 THE best and only place to ask your question is with a doctor. Forum advice is dangerous to you life.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Since you are past 50 THE best and only place to ask your question is with a doctor. Forum advice is dangerous to you life.

That's actually very good advice, but tell me, why should we seek words of wisdom from someone who retired and stayed in IL?

I understand they're changing those "Thank you for using the IL Tollway" signs to read instead "Will the Last One to Leave, Please Turn Off the Lights?"

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 12-20-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals