Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 705 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon

I am a bipolar patient who also suffers with sleep apnea. I am looking for advice on an exercise program and diet advice to help me lose weight please. My medication has made me pile on weight, so much so I am not 24.5 stone or 150kg, I suffer with sleep apnea and my medication makes me crave food!

I currently take:

- sodium valproate 500mg 3 times a day
- duloxetine 60mg per day
- melatonin 2mg per night

Do I discuss changing any of medications with my doctors to one that is less likely to gain weight on? Also any suggestions on diet (I’ve previously done exante at 800 calories a day but finding this difficult to get back onto).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 01:17 PM

492 posts, read 234,696 times
walk around your block.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Yes, I don't think you're out of line to talk with your doctor about unpleasant side effects of your medication. Talk with your doctor as well about diet and exercise ideas.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Obviously, talk to your doctor about your meds, diet, and exercise.

I would focus on sleep, exercise and diet. Not getting enough sleep ruins my life. I am not kidding. It is that important.

For exercise, I use walking for weightloss and mental health. I focus on the beauty I see (it's' always there, I promise) and the sounds and I just let my thoughts float away.

I follow a diet low in carbs/sugar and high in fat. It's probably somewhere between atkins and keto. I lost weight sleep better, and I feel great. This diet has made a big impact on my mental health, too.

Clearly, this is all anecdotal. Best of luck.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yes, I don't think you're out of line to talk with your doctor about unpleasant side effects of your medication. Talk with your doctor as well about diet and exercise ideas.
Absolutely, you should tell your doctor what's going on S/he should be concerned that the meds are causing weight gain, which, obviously, is unhealthy, and is exacerbating your sleep apnea. It could be that a simple change in dosage would help, or switching to a different med. In any case, this kind of thing is what your doctor is for; s/he needs feedback regarding the treatment regime s/he's set you up on.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:03 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
I don't know the weight of pounds however, the most important thing is to eat whole organic food, if you can afford it. Mostly organic if not. Grass fed local meat. Once your system is nourished properly for a week, start an exercise program however only what you think you might enjoy

I enjoy cycling so have always rode but much more in shape now being laid off. I listen to music while riding. The easiest way to loose weight is not a diet but nutritious food and some exercise. Maybe 1 hr a day? Nutrition and exercise combined should allow you to reduce your meds too however that is not a blanket statement of course. The issue is, alot of meds interfere with exercise making it so difficult due to shortness of breath and other issues that the hump you must overcome is much more than someone not on those psychotropic meds.

Another alternative is to get a job which you are paid to walk. Honestly this seems the best approach. Somewhere which allows access to healthy food nearby for lunch. Then you aren't as apt to realize you are even exercising. Best of luck to you. Give yourself credit for having the desire to change too.

I place a blanket under my chin to keep higher up. For some reason, it helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals