Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

I have a yard that is totally fenced in. My backyard faces an alley that holds garbage cans for my side of the street and the folks on the street behind me. Our backyards face each other and are separated by the alley.

The two houses directly behind me never put the lid on their garbage containers (one container is without a lid), and animals keep getting in them and dragging the garbage out of the container and scattering it in the alley. I'm not talking about a few items; whole bags and their contents are all on the ground. Neighbors don't clean it up, even though it is their garbage and they must walk through it every time they deposit another bag of trash in the can. While the garbage can't get in my yard because of the fence, I have to see it when I go in my backyard and I absolutely hate it.

Is there any kind of ordinance about keeping that area clean? I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they handled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
have you tried talking to them? Asking them to get a lid for their can?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Well, no. I have never seen the adults; they send their kids out to the cans with the trash. But the trash is visible from their backyards as well, so I know they are aware of the problem.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Call the city. If they're really behaving like you say they are, they are well aware of the problem and don't care.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
My parents went through this with some bad neighbors behind them a few years ago. The neighbors are still there, they absolutely hate my parents at this point.

My parents tried to talk to them personally, my mom went over to their garage one day when she heard the woman outside. Understandably, people who live like slobs and have trash everywhere aren't exactly receptive to feedback regarding how their behavior affects others. This woman screamed at my mother and called her every dirty word in the book.

At that point, my mother contacted the HOA (which in her neighborhood, doesn't have any teeth.) They sent the homeowners a notice of "possible fines." Nothing happened. Finally I believe the City of Plano was contacted, who DO have the authority to fine them. Not sure whether they were actually fined or not, but the trash scattered across the alley stopped.

I'd advise not to deal with the neighbors at all. I'm usually in favor of trying to work out disagreements and such between the two parties without escalating anything to an outside source, but if they are obviously aware of what they are doing and simply don't care, then I think talking to them is a waste of time.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
If you mean the garbage containers you get from the city is missing a lid, you can simply call the city, give their address, and they will replace or repair defective trash recepticles.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

I'd advise not to deal with the neighbors at all. I'm usually in favor of trying to work out disagreements and such between the two parties without escalating anything to an outside source, but if they are obviously aware of what they are doing and simply don't care, then I think talking to them is a waste of time.

Totally agree with this..In theory "hugging it out" is a divine concept, but in practice it rarely produces amicable results. Think this through, put yourself in their shoes for a minute, as difficult as it may be.

Let's say your a filthy inconsiderate slob and someone knocks on your door and points it out verbally. No matter how well you deliver your message, it's probably going to a) fall on deaf ears, b) elicit a defensive response and c) get a passive aggressive result. e.g. they look you in the eye and say one thing and do another.

Your best bet, if you have an HOA or City Code enforcement is to take advantage of using that resource. The reason governing bodies like this exist, (courts, city code enforcement, Police etc) is because people can't always talk it out and agree. These days it almost seems rare.. I would strongly advise doing it anonymously, or you will more than likely create many years of tenuous feelings between you and them for years to come. And giving someone who behaves like this the ammo of knowing this bothers you is ill-advised.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Totally agree with Skids here. I've had much better luck allowing the Code Enforcement department to do what my taxes pay them to do than I ever had by confronting neighbors myself.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
You say you only see the kids out back putting trash in. Is it possible that the parents don't know the state of the alley because the kids are doing trash duty?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
There is often trash in the ally behind my house and it's not due to lids being on the trash cans. It's because the trash collectors do not bother to pick up anything that spills when they are emptying the cans. It pisses me off every time I go back there and have to pick that crap up. Should be the trash collectors job to pick up ALL trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas