Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

487 posts, read 470,233 times

Advertisements

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM

19,927 posts, read 18,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoDeb View Post
What say you?
It depends.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,094,787 times
Overall the new proposals will help us, and hopefully help millions of other families.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:29 PM

125 posts, read 192,029 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/02/hous...form-plan.html

I'd say with an average home price of 214k and an average list price of 319k in Dallas the new cap won't affect the majority of folks but rather help the middle class based on the standard deduction increases.

The only people that I see pissed off about it would be folks that have property tax bills greater than 10k, mortgages over 500k, realtors and homebuilders.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM

81 posts, read 136,469 times
Most of this tax bill is awful. Hopefully it won’t pass, call your members of Congress. The majority of it will help the wealthy and leave everyone else with small tax breaks. Many of us will even have to pay more. It also does things like ends the electric vehicle tax credit and increases taxes for wind and solar. Not sure why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to go backward instead of forward. It allows churches to engage in politics with sounds just awful to me. It eliminates the ability for Americans to deduct medical expenses. There’s a lot of things that are not good. They need to go back to the drawing board. This is as bad as the healthcare bill they were trying to pass.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 965,482 times
What a lot of people are missing is that if you have children they are going to completely eliminate the exemptions for each of your dependents (currently $4050 per dependent.). You would likely only the 1k child tax credit. Right now most people get both.

This is going to screw people who are divorced with kids, or married couples with multiple children that own their homes.

To also lose your property tax exemption is going to hurt lots of middle class Texas families. The only people this does not hurt are the rich.

If this passes, my taxes are going up and I am not happy about that at all. I make 70k a year, own a 250k home that I have worked hard to own and have a kid.

If this goes through when my kid is out of school I will leave Texas. I would rather live in a scenic state with an income tax and low property taxes. There would be no financial incentive to live here. DFW is overcrowded, real estate prices are ridiculous, it's not scenic and the weather is horrible for half of the year

Last edited by Angie682; 11-02-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM

692 posts, read 858,236 times
Depends on how you define Middle Class. In 14 years of home-ownership, no mortgage deduction ever got us over the Standard Deduction hurdle anyway, and we make almost double the median income for TX. Granted, that's practically poverty for the Dallas forum...I'm not a fan of Team Red or Team Blue, myself, but in general, this looks like it would help us. Buddies in Collin Co and Coppell? Not so much.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
What a lot of people are missing is that if you have children they are going to completely eliminate the exemptions for each of your dependents (currently $4050 per dependent.). You would likely only the 1k child tax credit. Right now most people get both.

This is going to screw people who are divorced with kids, or married couples with multiple children that own their homes.

To also lose your property tax exemption is going to hurt lots of middle class Texas families. The only people this does not hurt are the rich.

If this passes, my taxes are going up and I am not happy about that at all. I make 70k a year, own a 250k home that I have worked hard to own and have a kid.

If this goes through when my kid is out of school I will leave Texas. I would rather live in a scenic state with an income tax and low property taxes. There would be no financial incentive to live here. DFW is overcrowded, real estate prices are ridiculous, it's not scenic and the weather is horrible for half of the year
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but from what I'm reading, you are incorrect.

--property taxes up to $10,000 can still be deducted

--mortgage interest on mortgages up to $500,000 can still be deducted. This is only for NEW mortgages. Existing mortgages are not affected. Please note that this is for the loan, not for the home itself.

--Deductions for children go UP to $1,600 per child under 17. Yes personal exemptions are eliminated.

--Moving to a state with income tax might not help you, since state taxes will no
longer be deductible

--The weather does not suck for 1/2 of the year. Summer, yes.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-02-2017 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 PM

964 posts, read 880,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan427 View Post
Most of this tax bill is awful. Hopefully it won’t pass, call your members of Congress. The majority of it will help the wealthy and leave everyone else with small tax breaks. Many of us will even have to pay more. It also does things like ends the electric vehicle tax credit and increases taxes for wind and solar. Not sure why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to go backward instead of forward. It allows churches to engage in politics with sounds just awful to me. It eliminates the ability for Americans to deduct medical expenses. There’s a lot of things that are not good. They need to go back to the drawing board. This is as bad as the healthcare bill they were trying to pass.
I kind of have to chuckle when I read this.

First almost 50% of people pay no income tax so how would you expect tax cuts to benefit these people when they pay $0 in income taxes currently. That leaves 50% of the people left. The top 20% of earners pay 84% of income taxes in this country. So yes these tax cuts will help the top 20% of earners as they should. You are pissed because the top 20% want to pay, call it, 80% of income taxes and you think they should be paying 90%? Ridiculous. I suggest you use some sound logic before attacking the people that pay 84% of income taxes currently.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
I kind of have to chuckle when I read this.

First almost 50% of people pay no income tax so how would you expect tax cuts to benefit these people when they pay $0 in income taxes currently. That leaves 50% of the people left. The top 20% of earners pay 84% of income taxes in this country. So yes these tax cuts will help the top 20% of earners as they should. You are pissed because the top 20% want to pay, call it, 80% of income taxes and you think they should be paying 90%? Ridiculous. I suggest you use some sound logic before attacking the people that pay 84% of income taxes currently.
Well stated.

Not to mention, ticked because of electric cars and green energy? How many people own 100% electric cars? The whole statement was nothing but liberal talking points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas