Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 22,282 times

Advertisements

I wanted to say thanks to randomparent for the time put into researching my question. Really cool responses! I posted this and walked away, and I come back a week later and I have a 4 page conversation to sift through! Going to start digging through the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
You are very welcome! I had reached a frustrating wall in researching my own family history recently, so this has been a nice diversion.

Make sure you read all the way through to the end. There are places where my original information was incomplete, or even incorrect. I made updates as I came across new information.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-23-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 12:40 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Shermans were another very large Dayton family with many descendents in and around the metro area. I believe John Q. Sherman and wife Katherine Neary had eight children. The Sherman mansion on Philadelphia Drive is still controlled by the family trust. Two Sherman family descendants appear to have continued involvement in Standard Register, and a daughter, Patricia, died in 2014. She is buried in Calvary Cemetery. I think there are currently three surviving Sherman children, and as you can imagine, dozens of grandchildren and g-grandchildren.
Any relation to General Sherman? HE was from over in the Lancaster area

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Any relation to General Sherman? HE was from over in the Lancaster area
Excellent question! ...that I cannot answer off the top of my head. I've been mostly focused on going forward in my research rather than backwards in accordance with the OP's question.

And on that note, for those interested in the Shermans of Standard Register, here's an article featuring John Q. Sherman II...

The Sherman family helped make Dayton greater

Edit: After a quick glance at the 1910 census, there does not appear to be any direct relationship. John Q.'s paternal grandfather was a German immigrant, while William Tecumseh Sherman comes from a long line of Shermans dating back to the founding of our nation.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-23-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 AM

235 posts, read 434,488 times
Random, YOU ROCK!!! Thanks for all the info. If I have the right house, the Srog mansion was broke up into apts. My son lives in Middletown, and I pass it going to his house There are several mansions in the neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM

More information on the Mead family...

Katherine Mead, youngest of the first generation of children, married Maurice Sicault, a native of France. I think she was his second wife. If I found the right person, he was a hair dresser in the 1930 census. They resided in Florida, but both were buried in the Mead plot in Woodland Cemetery. No idea about children.

As for the Pattersons, I tracked down Frederick's homes in Tucson and Delray Beach, and the contrast between his lifestyle and sister Dorothy's is striking. While Frederick certainly didn't live like a pauper by any stretch of the imagination, Dorothy lived far more extravagantly, which you can see for yourself in the post about her estate in Virginia. Frederick and second wife Armenal had a nice home in Tucson, a second ranch house, and a lot of grazing land for his cattle, but they paled in comparison to Dorothy's Oakendale (reference post #55). His house in Florida was also very nice and had water access, but it reinforces my impression that building mansions was not Frederick's priority.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
So I suppose now would be a good time to ask if anybody gives a whit about these posts.
I do! I'm enjoying it immensely.

Quote:
Frederick and Evelyn's house today. It's...um...well, just see for yourself. This home was a Dayton Philharmonic Showcase House in 2003, so that may account for the decor, which I think is best described as eclectic.
Wow. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I do! I'm enjoying it immensely.

Wow. Thanks for the link!
Isn't it something? Believe it or not, that house sold for $290k in 2013, but it was a bank sale. Most recently, it went for $589k, and to me, even that seems like a steal.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-28-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 06:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Isn't it something? Believe it or not, that house sold for $290k in 2013, but it was a bank sale. Most recently, it went for $589k, and to me, even that seems like a steal.
I'd agree! Amazing house, going for such a low price. And people buy McMansions in the suburbs instead..... I just don't understand the logic, especially since Oakwood has better schools too!

Also, another thank you for the posts. I'm learning a ton about what I never knew in my own backyard reading through these posts.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
Random, YOU ROCK!!! Thanks for all the info. If I have the right house, the Srog mansion was broke up into apts. My son lives in Middletown, and I pass it going to his house There are several mansions in the neighborhood.
Yes, it was. I just googled it and the most recent update was a 2014 article which qouted the new owners, who had already began extensive roof repairs, to be followed by replacement of the windows. They were qouted as saying that they planned to move to Middletown and spend their retirement years restoring the mansion...an apparent labor of love.
They estimated the repairs would cost $400,000 to $500, 000. They were considering opening a bed and breakfast. Does anybody have any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton