Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 PM

189 posts, read 206,251 times

Advertisements

Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently engaged to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We are looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, exploring nature,shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy. Just looking for a final resting place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban areas around that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse place to purchase a home to live with excellent healthcare So any feedback is accepted thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 02:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,476,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently engaged to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We are looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, exploring nature,shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy. Just looking for a final resting place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban areas around that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse place to purchase a home to live with excellent healthcare So any feedback is accepted thanks for your time.
Are you looking for advice for a relocation to the Dayton area, or for the entire state of Ohio, as suggested in your title?

If the latter, post in the general Ohio forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/

It would be helpful if you provided your house purchase budget, occupation requirements, and interests -- professional sports, arts, educational needs, anything that would be helpful in further advising you.

Why are you leaving Wisconsin and why are you interested in the Dayton area or Ohio in general?

This post may give you a head start on your "excellent healthcare" question.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...hospitals.html

Keep in mind that much will change in the aftermath of the COVID-19 epidemic, including perhaps hospital rankings, as this epidemic is taking an immense financial toll on hospitals, pending federal reimbursement.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:51 AM

189 posts, read 206,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Are you looking for advice for a relocation to the Dayton area, or for the entire state of Ohio, as suggested in your title?

If the latter, post in the general Ohio forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/

It would be helpful if you provided your house purchase budget, occupation requirements, and interests -- professional sports, arts, educational needs, anything that would be helpful in further advising you.

Why are you leaving Wisconsin and why are you interested in the Dayton area or Ohio in general?

This post may give you a head start on your "excellent healthcare" question.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...hospitals.html

Keep in mind that much will change in the aftermath of the COVID-19 epidemic, including perhaps hospital rankings, as this epidemic is taking an immense financial toll on hospitals, pending federal reimbursement.

Wisconsin the weather first of is brutal below zero most of the winter months. Its very boring here me myself coming from NJ newark specifically its nothing here. The reason we came here is because job situation back when the recession was. My fiance is from here has family here but he doesnt deal with them. Only thing here is alcoholics, hunters, and fisherman,. We are gamers that drink maybe once every 6 months LOL. its hard to make friends here. Also there is no work-life balance here. You either get a good job and work 2-2-3 12 hr rotating shift sometimes or get a s**** job that you wont make enough money. Also we are looking to make a career change. Wisconsin is mostly factory work. It a farming state mostly cheese , milk and beer production here. We both are tired of that. I just wanted to try Ohio
because I know someone who is from there and has been out here for years and she misses there alot but in a way she is stuck here (she has kids). I don't have any kids so i was just inquiring.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 PM

14,707 posts, read 14,688,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Wisconsin the weather first of is brutal below zero most of the winter months. Its very boring here me myself coming from NJ newark specifically its nothing here. The reason we came here is because job situation back when the recession was. My fiance is from here has family here but he doesnt deal with them. Only thing here is alcoholics, hunters, and fisherman,. We are gamers that drink maybe once every 6 months LOL. its hard to make friends here. Also there is no work-life balance here. You either get a good job and work 2-2-3 12 hr rotating shift sometimes or get a s**** job that you wont make enough money. Also we are looking to make a career change. Wisconsin is mostly factory work. It a farming state mostly cheese , milk and beer production here. We both are tired of that. I just wanted to try Ohio
because I know someone who is from there and has been out here for years and she misses there alot but in a way she is stuck here (she has kids). I don't have any kids so i was just inquiring.
Honestly Ohio isn't much different...more urban areas but still quite blue-collar especially outside Columbus. Like here in the Dayton area it's mostly healthcare, an Air Force base and some tech work...everything else is retail and whatever manufacturing is left. Most of the nightlife is restaurants and breweries/distilleries. Cleveland is largely centered around healthcare these days too (there is quite a bit of nightlife there though, which is a plus). Columbus draws the majority of the young people and childless professionals these days because of the university and white collar industries...but it's also the most expensive of the cities too.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:44 AM

555 posts, read 894,124 times
Not sure what you mean by "simple nightlife" (over 60 and don't get out much, especially these days), but most large Ohio counties have good Metropark systems. You might want to explore the various Metropark sites to see if any natural area holds particular appeal. The parks near Dayton are the Five Rivers system.

https://www.metroparks.org/

Old 05-31-2020, 11:26 AM

112 posts, read 166,813 times
I think Columbus would be your best bet. Great suburbs if you prefer that and also great urban areas such as Short North, Victorian Village, and Olde Towne East. Burbs I would recommend Hilliard, Dublin, Powell, Westerville.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,304,765 times
Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton