Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ohio: Dayton, real estate, market, small business start up, obtaining a visa.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 30,232 times

Advertisements

Any buddie familar with Dayton? Your idea and suggestions'll be very important for my choice!

Hi all, I have a plan to set up a small subsidiary company in US and get L-1 visa to explore the north America market. For the time being, I am out of the states and have a rough plan to choose Dayton, based on these reasons (only from my limited knowledge)

1. Dayton is a world famous city though not big, and is strong with rich resources in the sector of space, satellite, microwave, and communications, these will be our main biz scope;

2. Dayton is a small city, not very big but larger than small towns, in my rough idea, it should have both advantages of big city's life and study and career convenience, and small town's quietness, etc;

3. Dayton's real estate is affordable greatly.

However, I hear so far such counter factors

1. real estate trend is on the decline, so is employment;

2. Crime rate is high though is on the right track of going down;

3. higher tax and comparatively rusty education system and public affairs.

So my question is,

1. are those ideas in what degree right or wrong? Any buddie help enrich and list any more? or correct any?

2. I am interested in a listed real estate on urban Richmond Ave. at near end to downtown, that is only around 10,000 USD, with very convenient access to city center, schools and dayton university, etc. But the tax is around 1400 USD per year, really high, also I know i need to refurbish. My doubt is is this a nice or comparatively nice community?

3. this question might need professional advice: is it wise to buy a existed shelf company of nevada or delaware as our USA subsidiary and operate in other state like dayton OH?

thank you,

your potential buddie, a guy perfer a life with sports ground, clean street for morning exercise, eye contact, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water, good schools with responsible teachers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM

I read some old threads and find some useful info, and my questions is, is the richmond AVE near end to downtown, near Richard Allen Academy Prep School, Mary Queen of Peace Catholic School are a considerable community?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 PM

245 posts, read 1,274,511 times
Richmond Ave (between Salem Ave and N Main St) is Dayton View. You can get some amazing homes in that area for $100K, but that area is constantly teetering between hardcore ghetto / high crime and major potential. The recent foreclosure crises has put a lot of areas like Dayton View back at least 10-20 years. Dayton City Schools are horrible and most Daytonians either flee the city for the suburbs OR they send their kids to private schools.

Personally, I wouldn't risk putting a lot of money into a home in that area. $100K can buy homes in much safer areas, and if you have kids I wouldn't bother with Dayton proper.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,166 times
Default Don't!

"your potential buddie, a guy perfer a life with sports ground, clean street for morning exercise, eye contact, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water, good schools with responsible teachers...[/quote]

Richmond Ave is approximately 10 blocks long. Not a big street. At no part of it will you find sports ground, a clean street, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water or good schools. What you will find is drugs, pit bulls, guns, and poverty. Although it is quite tempting to think that for $10,000 you can find a diamond in the rough, Richmond Ave is not the place to do it. Avoid the eye contact in this neighborhood buddie, you'll live longer.

To be fair, Dayton has a lot to offer, but it's in a severe downward period right now and no telling when it might come back.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 AM

245 posts, read 1,274,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_Ohio View Post

"your potential buddie, a guy perfer a life with sports ground, clean street for morning exercise, eye contact, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water, good schools with responsible teachers...
Richmond Ave is approximately 10 blocks long. Not a big street. At no part of it will you find sports ground, a clean street, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water or good schools. What you will find is drugs, pit bulls, guns, and poverty. Although it is quite tempting to think that for $10,000 you can find a diamond in the rough, Richmond Ave is not the place to do it. Avoid the eye contact in this neighborhood buddie, you'll live longer.

To be fair, Dayton has a lot to offer, but it's in a severe downward period right now and no telling when it might come back.

Good luck.[/quote]

GOOD POINT- I grew up watching Dayton View [from Clayton] and dreaming that it could one day come back... And hopefully one day it will. But Dayton has poured millions of dollars into DV with efforts to "bring back the hood," and any gains are either short lived or psychological only. Many of the efforts made sense and did work to an extent. The "Defensible Space" project did in fact cut down on "drug dealer through traffic" between Salem & North Main. But then there are efforts like erecting $20K decorative signs along Salem Ave and installing expensive reproduction streetlights are just a waste of money. (the issue of pouring millions into DV tends to tick off people everywhere else in Dayton)

DV has made great efforts to sustain itself in the last 10-20 years, but the recent mortgage meltdown has taken the neighborhood back to a worse state than ever. And with the economy being in the dumps as it is, petty crimes are on the rise in a huge way. I'm not sure I'd want to live in one of the many palatial homes in DV right now, and if I did live there I'd get a Brinks and a few dobies (or maybe even some rescued Pitts). I also happen to think that Good Sam will eventually close shop and when this happens, the neighborhood is really going bust. I say this b/c Samaritan North in Englewood is now a full fledged hospital, and I can't see how Good Sam makes money on their DV location. It's no longer accessible to the far north burbs where people are insured, and it's not easy attracting RN's and "working mothers" to work at hospitals in the hood even if they pay them more money to drive into DV.

As for making eye contact in the hood... I actually recommend acknowledging the thugs. When you DON'T acknowledge people, it causes more problems and makes you appear afraid of the thugs, or else it makes you appear that you think you're better than they are... I happen to think invites the possibility of trouble. Life in the hood is all about RESPECT, and not acknowledging others is major disrespect.

I used to live in some run down east coat neighborhoods, and one of my neighbors pointed this out to me as a tactic for living safely in the hood. The worst that can happen is they engage you in conversation, ask for some cash, and then you simply tell them "dude I'm sorry but I'm broke and I just lost my job." (< it's kinda like them telling you repeatedly that their baby's trapped in the car and they need money for gas; you're just doing the same thing and keeping yourself safe by mentioning that you're broke and thus you have nothing to steal)

Another great tactic for hood visits: Carry an extra old cell phone [that you no longer use] and an extra small wallet with $6 inside and some expired credit cards. If someone holds you up, just give them the old cell phone and the dummy wallet and keep your real stuff on your person.

Last edited by YoMikey617; 07-27-2008 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: corrected a few sentences

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,556,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank123 View Post
your potential buddie, a guy perfer a life with sports ground, clean street for morning exercise, eye contact, gentle and kindly people, clean air and water, good schools with responsible teachers...
Dayton Public Schools have PLENTY of responsible teachers. What the schools need are resposnible STUDENTS and PARENTS...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post

Good luck.
GOOD POINT- I grew up watching Dayton View [from Clayton] and dreaming that it could one day come back... And hopefully one day it will. But Dayton has poured millions of dollars into DV with efforts to "bring back the hood," and any gains are either short lived or psychological only. Many of the efforts made sense and did work to an extent. The "Defensible Space" project did in fact cut down on "drug dealer through traffic" between Salem & North Main. But then there are efforts like erecting $20K decorative signs along Salem Ave and installing expensive reproduction streetlights are just a waste of money. (the issue of pouring millions into DV tends to tick off people everywhere else in Dayton)

DV has made great efforts to sustain itself in the last 10-20 years, but the recent mortgage meltdown has taken the neighborhood back to a worse state than ever. And with the economy being in the dumps as it is, petty crimes are on the rise in a huge way. I'm not sure I'd want to live in one of the many palatial homes in DV right now, and if I did live there I'd get a Brinks and a few dobies (or maybe even some rescued Pitts). I also happen to think that Good Sam will eventually close shop and when this happens, the neighborhood is really going bust. I say this b/c Samaritan North in Englewood is now a full fledged hospital, and I can't see how Good Sam makes money on their DV location. It's no longer accessible to the far north burbs where people are insured, and it's not easy attracting RN's and "working mothers" to work at hospitals in the hood even if they pay them more money to drive into DV.

As for making eye contact in the hood... I actually recommend acknowledging the thugs. When you DON'T acknowledge people, it causes more problems and makes you appear afraid of the thugs, or else it makes you appear that you think you're better than they are... I happen to think invites the possibility of trouble. Life in the hood is all about RESPECT, and not acknowledging others is major disrespect.

I used to live in some run down east coat neighborhoods, and one of my neighbors pointed this out to me as a tactic for living safely in the hood. The worst that can happen is they engage you in conversation, ask for some cash, and then you simply tell them "dude I'm sorry but I'm broke and I just lost my job." (< it's kinda like them telling you repeatedly that their baby's trapped in the car and they need money for gas; you're just doing the same thing and keeping yourself safe by mentioning that you're broke and thus you have nothing to steal)

Another great tactic for hood visits: Carry an extra old cell phone [that you no longer use] and an extra small wallet with $6 inside and some expired credit cards. If someone holds you up, just give them the old cell phone and the dummy wallet and keep your real stuff on your person.[/quote]

thank you mike, you really gave great description~

the great tactics scared me.....

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,815 times
Dayton is unique in its own way and I continue to stay hopeful that one day it is going to turn around and begin to reach its potential. I would stay away from the surrounding downtown areas, Dayton View and the West side definitely, also Main St. and the Riverside Drive area are becoming ill as well. The best place to be in Dayton is if you are single with out a family, try downtown lofts and condos. I know some professionals who love living downtown and do ok. Alot of entertainment, food and things to do on the Riverscape. South Park is also a cozy and low traffic area that still holds some of Dayton's old time culture and neighborhood character, it is located by Miami Valley Hospital. You can also look at the suburbs of Dayton like Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg and Centerville. They are all nice areas and still very accesible to downtown Dayton. The farther you go out it becomes a little more expensive but I am in Centerville (considered a very nice area) and I pay $770 for a 3 bedroom townhome that is very spacious and has a nice spacious back privacy yard. It is close to everything but still has a nice natural environment. Best wishes in your decisions and future endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton