Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,506 times

Advertisements

Yep, theft is here (and everywhere else in this state), but we keep everything locked up (even the cars in the driveway) and we've never had anything stolen or had anyone try to break into anything of ours. But, trust me, the few local lowlifes we have "know better". They typically steal from the elderly or vacationers.

I've always locked everything up no matter where I lived in this state...there's too much drug activity not to. I tell you what though, nothing beats oak Orchard as far as theft and drug activity (as far as where I've lived). It actually ran my parents right out of there. My dad was not used to crime given had always lived in Brandywine Hundred until moving to Oak Orchard. He would leave the shed or a car unlocked even after my mother nagged him not to. She grew up in the city of Wilmington and knew better. They had a lot of stuff stolen there even though they lived in a nice neighborhood. Druggies from up the road would sneak in through the woods and target unlocked cars and sheds. They lived there for almost 20 years, and it just progressively got worse. Now, they live in rural Virginia and can leave anything unlocked without a worry in the world--lucky them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Here's an example of recent crime in my area--they victimized an elderly woman in a development right down the road from me. I had seen these two around town though....I could tell they were up to no good. Trash kind of sticks out like a sore thumb around here.

DSP Arrest Ocean View Woman in Connection with A Jewelry Heist/Ocean View Man Still Sought - WGMD.COM

Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I despise the fact that I am even posting this, but people (both residents and visitors) need to be aware that yes, gangs ARE here in the Rehoboth/Lewes/Angola/Long Neck/Oak Orchard beach areas. It's been going on for quite some time now. Thank goodness, we don't have a gang presence here in Ocean View, but I often have to travel to Rehoboth for shopping and appointments. I'd still classify it as a safe area and I would never stop going there, but if you are a woman: do not run around alone at night in the Rehoboth area. I know I wouldn't. Travel with a group or a male.

These Rehoboth area gang members are linked to gangs in Milford, Dover, and Wilmington. Ocean City also has gang problems (just had a gang related brawl earlier this month) with gang ties to Salisbury. I do have quite a bit of background info on gang presence due to the fact my husband works in law enforcement. The stories he tells and facts he finds out are extremely disturbing.

Here is a link below to a recent incident in Rehoboth. Brutal assaults on two young women walking home from work last week are also believed to be gang related. This all makes me sooo angry .

Rehoboth Beach Police Investigate Gang-Related Crimes - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
Beachliz--I really appreciate your comments--it's good to know the reality, and I appreciate how you state the facts but don't get inflammatory, either. Do you think this crime trend will continue spiraling downward or is DE making a strong effort to turn it around? What about the beach areas? When we were there a few weeks ago I noticed a lot of police officer on the boardwalk--is that typical in the summer months or a sign that they are boosting visibility to cut down on the crime?

If the elderly are being targeted, would that be a good reason to avoid 55+ villages? Or, was the recent robbery more like an isolated incident?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Yep, I feel no need to sugarcoat. Honestly is the best policy . Now, as far as crime...it appears to not be getting any worse in my area, but I really have it good here (as stated previously). I'm known for chasing out the garbage and not letting them feel "comfortable" in my area, so to speak. I've had a few new neighbors move here and we have kind of banded together and won't accept any questionable behavior in our development. Now, you'll find that's not always the case in other areas. In my opinion, both Lewes and Rehoboth are getting worse. I'd pretty much blame it on gangs, poverty, and drugs--more of that in those areas due to a larger population and cheaper rentals with lax rules and landlords. I still wouldn't rule out Rehoboth or Lewes given there are many decent areas in both, but you will just have to really make the extra effort to check out what's around you before you buy.

I wouldn't disregard 55+ communities; I believe they actually have less crime. Criminals in the beach area know there are plenty of elderly (and sometimes wealthy) people here, and they target them regardless of where they live.

There have always been plenty of cops during the summertime in Rehoboth and Dewey. They hire seasonal officers for extra "eyes" and to check on complaints and issue citations. They may be more visible now due to increased gang activity and violence in Rehoboth. They just had another group fight and another mugging in Rehoboth last week, as a matter of fact. I read that Rehoboth is really trying to get a handle on the gang activity before it spreads even more. That's always been a pretty good police force--and we're all rooting for them!!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
State Police made some more arrests regarding those thugs attacking pedestrians with cinder blocks and bricks in the Rehoboth area. Hebron Road is under the jurisdiction of the Delaware State Police, not the Rehoboth Beach Police Dept. Here's the article:
DELAWARE: Police make more arrests in Rehoboth robberies | The Daily Times | delmarvanow.com

By the way, there are four police forces working together in that area - City of Rehoboth Police, Lewes Police, Dewey Beach Police, and Delaware State Police. What isn't within the jurisdiction of the city/towns of Rehoboth Beach, Lewes and Dewey Beach, is under the jurisdiction of the Delaware State Police. Yet, the Delaware State Police are called upon for assistance if needed by those cities/towns.

Last edited by rdlr; 07-10-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
State Police made some more arrests regarding those thugs attacking pedestrians with cinder blocks and bricks in the Rehoboth area. Hebron Road is under the jurisdiction of the Delaware State Police, not the Rehoboth Beach Police Dept. Here's the article:
DELAWARE: Police make more arrests in Rehoboth robberies | The Daily Times | delmarvanow.com

By the way, there are four police forces working together in that area - City of Rehoboth Police, Lewes Police, Dewey Beach Police, and Delaware State Police. What isn't within the jurisdiction of the city/towns of Rehoboth Beach, Lewes and Dewey Beach, is under the jurisdiction of the Delaware State Police. Yet, the Delaware State Police are called upon for assistance if needed by those cities/towns.

I read about the large fight on the 4th right before the fireworks in Rehoboth, thankfully guns haven't come into play yet, since thats when innocent people usually get hurt. Hopefully they never will come into play down at the beaches. Delaware is an inexpensive place to live compared to Jersey and PA. So we do attract all kinds some nice some not so nice. Heck Delaware wasn't ranked as the 7th most dangerous state for 2009 for nothing. As I've said before I'd hate to see the numbers for 2010.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
It seems inevitable that beach areas will attract a certain amount of crime. I used to live in Manhattan Beach, CA. That's an upscale part of LA that is considered "safe" by LA standards. But you know what, we had lots of druggies, thefts, etc. We also had gangs in our beach town (although they were laughable when compared to the inner city gangs of LA). The drug problem was so much a part of the beach scene there that Alcoholics Anonymous built a huge Alano Club just a mile from the ocean on some prime property. It was actually a major part of the social scene in the Southern California beach cities.

Drug problems and theft don't bother me that much. Homeless people breaking into empty homes during the winter probably happens. If fights start breaking out on a regular basis, I'm a little concerned--especially if they involve weapons of any sort. I hope the police nip that in the bid.

I'm curious about three things:

1) Are these gang home grown, or moving down from Philly (or some place else)?

2) Why is there so much crime in Georgetown? The beach cities I understand--but Georgetown?

3) Are vacant seasonal properties part of the problem? If so, that definitely affects which neighborhoods I'll choose.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It seems inevitable that beach areas will attract a certain amount of crime. I used to live in Manhattan Beach, CA. That's an upscale part of LA that is considered "safe" by LA standards. But you know what, we had lots of druggies, thefts, etc. We also had gangs in our beach town (although they were laughable when compared to the inner city gangs of LA). The drug problem was so much a part of the beach scene there that Alcoholics Anonymous built a huge Alano Club just a mile from the ocean on some prime property. It was actually a major part of the social scene in the Southern California beach cities.

Drug problems and theft don't bother me that much. Homeless people breaking into empty homes during the winter probably happens. If fights start breaking out on a regular basis, I'm a little concerned--especially if they involve weapons of any sort. I hope the police nip that in the bid.

2) Why is there so much crime in Georgetown? The beach cities I understand--but Georgetown?

3) Are vacant seasonal properties part of the problem? If so, that definitely affects which neighborhoods I'll choose.
Gangs are what they are, I wouldn't think the gangs down there have much affiliation with Bloods and Crips from LA or even Philly. I would worry about the rising Hispanic population as that can lead to even more serious gang violence

Delaware like any other state has pockets of poverty, its gets kinda exagerated because we're such a small state with a diverse population.

If you think about jobs and infastructure for families, Wilmington has them, Philly has them but I'm not sure how many jobs like say port jobs and or white collar jobs are available below Dover and I'm not sure how many Dover has either. Its probably why the highest population in the state is north.
Same for Georgetown, high paying good jobs probably aren't that available in and around Georgetown, same for Laurel, Seaford, and Harrington. Word gets out, the police presence in lower Delaware isn't what it is in northern Delaware, of course being that half the murders in this state happen in Wilmington, still, this states police force in lower Delaware isn't what it should be.
Also remember that the good ol boy stuff still exists in lower Delaware, everyone knows everyone and certain ones and places(towns) can get away with pretty much anything. Dr. Bradley wouldn't have made a year much less ten years molesting little kids up here. The advantage of living north is people can't wait to get the knife they just put in your back to stick it in someone elses.

You should ask about snowbirds and may try to find an area with mostly year round residents, vacant property burglaries while people winter somewhere else were a huge problem this past year, huge. The beach areas do a good job on keeping that stuff out of the paper until one day you read about two perps arrested for breaking into 30 homes.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,417,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

The whole gang thing is a west coast mentality... these are just groups of punks on the boardwalk. Most of the crime in the east coast towns is due to drug territorial disputes. Rehoboth - just a bunch of punks at most. Ultimately, I could go with my four grandparents and steal candy, and you could call it a "gang." I like to save that word for bloods/crips/latin kings. Real gangs just are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the drug crimes here on the east coast.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

I agree with James420's post 100 percent. As somebody who lived 11 years in north Wilmington (and still has ties there) and 25 years in eastern Sussex, I can relate to what he is saying. And Joe84323 is correct--most of the crime in east coast towns is due to drug territorial disputes.

Yes,there are real Bloods/Crips in Sussex, and from what I know, they are "home grown" with their main ties being to Dover, Wilmington, and Salisbury, MD. There are quite a few doing time in SCI, believe me on that one.

Georgetown has plenty of low-income residents and section eight housing--mix that with low paying jobs and you get all that crime. Typically, the further west you head in Sussex, the more violent crime there is.

James420, you are SO right with this statement: "Dr. Bradley wouldn't have made a year much less ten years molesting little kids up here. The advantage of living north is people can't wait to get the knife they just put in your back to stick it in someone elses"--
Amen to that one!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware