Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM

7 posts, read 20,214 times

Advertisements

What is Newark like? Safety? Activities? Town area to walk in? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,275,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine!! View Post
What is Newark like? Safety? Activities? Town area to walk in? Thank you!
Pictures are worth thousands of words. Here's a video of Newark, DE. If you Google Newark, DE you'll find more regarding the area.

Downtown Newark, Delaware - Great American Main Street - YouTube

Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 AM

Thank you very much for the video. I have Googled it..... I am just looking for some more personal opinions from some people who live in the area and thought that this would be the perfect forum.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine!! View Post
Thank you very much for the video. I have Googled it..... I am just looking for some more personal opinions from some people who live in the area and thought that this would be the perfect forum.
I worked on the college campus for about 5 years, and walked Main Street almost every day, but never lived in the city of Newark. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,364,086 times
Main Street has lots of restaurants and would be fun for you. There are also other businesses that make it a great town to walk around. The library is not too far from Main and other types of shopping and activities are a short drive. With that said, after dark can be dangerous, so make sure that you are not alone. Like in any area, you must be vigilant. Always be aware of your surroundings. If you are a runner, you will see lots of UD students running in the morning and afternoon. I cannot stress enough that you must be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. That includes the areas around your apartment. My intent is not to alarm you, but people everywhere can be crazy. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,985,475 times
What the previous poster said! The area of Newark encompassing Main Street and the University of Delaware has a great American college town atmosphere. One of my favourite places in the whole state.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
What the previous poster said! The area of Newark encompassing Main Street and the University of Delaware has a great American college town atmosphere. One of my favourite places in the whole state.
I agree. I enjoyed my time working in Mitchell Hall, in the theatre department. I loved walking Main Street, buying my lunch, and bringing it back to the college mall area ..... except the squirrels were very aggressive when it came to food! We actually drove from mid-Kent County up to Newark for all of our dentist appointments, and all the kids were in braces which meant lots of trips up Rt. 896, and lots of time spent there. I think I mentioned before, my great grandfather owned the Deer Park Inn at one time. Unfortunately, he met his maker on the railroad tracks behind the Inn. Maybe a little tipsy....

Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,985,475 times
Refreshment and light perpetual grant unto him, oh Lord.

Grant us all to treasure the history and connections we have in this little commonwealth.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Refreshment and light perpetual grant unto him, oh Lord.

Grant us all to treasure the history and connections we have in this little commonwealth.
Well, thank you, dj

With Delaware being only 96 miles long, it's easy to experience most nooks and crannies of this state. In the mid 1930's my mother experienced it by roller skating the length of this state on DuPont Road (Highway) with her roller derby team. They began on Franklin St. in Wilmington, skated west to Newark, and down to Delmar. Of course, they spent a night at the Deer Park Inn in Newark.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM

THANK YOU all very much for your input! It has been very helpful. I am looking forward to experiencing it first hand soon. Are any of you familiar with the Village II apartment complex. I am considering choosing that one but am not in the area yet. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware