Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM

18 posts, read 125,954 times

Advertisements

Basically I have a new neighbor who is renting the rowhouse next to me and sadly the person renting the house doesn't feel that he should turn down his bass. During our several talks he mentioned he doesn't feel that he should be inconvinced and that he doesn't think it's that loud. Doesn't matter that I expand to him that it is really distrubing me, since he has already stated he doesn't care. I even had him come into my house to listen to it, to which he stated it wasn't that loud. Well after a month of this i've had it, i'd called the police 3 times and I've contacted their landlord who hasn't responded to me at all.

I don't know what to do with this, I can't sleep or anything in the house. I've talked to this person numerous times and he won't turn it down. I simply don't know what to do anymore. The police said they can't do anything about it, the landlord is useless.

I really need to know what legal avenues I have other than looking for another home and putting my current house up for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Is "neighbor's loud bass" an electric bass guitar or the bass response on a stereo system? I'm guessing that it's NOT an acoustic bass viol.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
I had the same problem with a neighbors to the left and right. I was losing my mind. I spoke to one neighbor and they reduced the sound. I didn't have any luck with the other neighbor. I suggested they buy a computer pad to absorb the sound. In the end I had to move.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
What a shame to have to go thru this...the problem with moving is....you never know what your new neighbor's issues will be. What has happened to me in the past is that the noisy neighbor usually does end up moving eventually. Usually there are noise ordinances in most neighborhoods, no loud noises between 10 pm and 8 am, something like that? I would suggest not saying another work to him about it and you could put in a formal complaint with the police for disturbing the peace.

Other than that, you could just become the most obnoxious, loud neighbor you can be and see how he likes it

Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
There's some way to blow them out using an old CB radio. Maybe someone here will know how this works.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdmitchell View Post
Basically I have a new neighbor who is renting the rowhouse next to me and sadly the person renting the house doesn't feel that he should turn down his bass. During our several talks he mentioned he doesn't feel that he should be inconvinced and that he doesn't think it's that loud. Doesn't matter that I expand to him that it is really distrubing me, since he has already stated he doesn't care. I even had him come into my house to listen to it, to which he stated it wasn't that loud. Well after a month of this i've had it, i'd called the police 3 times and I've contacted their landlord who hasn't responded to me at all.

I don't know what to do with this, I can't sleep or anything in the house. I've talked to this person numerous times and he won't turn it down. I simply don't know what to do anymore. The police said they can't do anything about it, the landlord is useless.

I really need to know what legal avenues I have other than looking for another home and putting my current house up for rent.
I had the same problem about 10 years ago renting in a nice old house with 3 floors of apartments. I was on the 2nd floor and a real jerk moved in below, playing very loud music at all hours. The landlord was useless, and calling the police didn't help (they turn it down and when the cops leave, back up it goes). I ended up moving, even though my lease said that all tenants were entitled to "quiet enjoyment of the property" after 10 pm. It really comes down to the landlord. If they are willing to pursue it, then you are likely stuck. The legal route would be costly. Is there a way to ask a lawyer if it's worth pursuing?

From your post, it appears you are a renter, so reading your lease might help, to see if there is any "noise" clause in it that could be enforced through legal channels. The problem with taking a renter to court, is that you incur lots a costs and then if you "win" you live next door to an angry renter who might act out in vindictive ways (damage your car, etc). No telling what someone might do who is taken to court over noise and digs in.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
I had the same problem a few years ago--some homeowner's family members would come down and stay in their elderly homeowner's summer house (he was in retirement home) and blare loud music on weekends. I called the cops all the time, and the last time they came out, there were drugs in full view and most of the idiots were arrested. That ended the problem .

Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 125,954 times
I actually own however the house next door / attached to me is a rented property with a landlord who smiles and says she'll do something about it while she's laughing at me. The issue is that the room that has the subwoofer has no carpet and the guy I think is a little deaf. Further more there's 2 teenage girls living there and a 4 year old boy, I can't see how the bass is any good for him. I even went out and got a mat for the sub to sit on and he says it's on it, so that tells you how loud he cracks it up.

He doesn't even keep his word. He said after last nights issue that he would turn it down at 6PM. It's 8PM and the woofer is still resonating.

Sadly moving does seem to be our only course of action however thankfully we were looking at moving towards the end of the year, he however has forced our hand and we're moving a lot sooner. We're hopefully going to look at some houses later this week and GOD willing we'll be able to move into one by end of March, which I'll be sure to put this house under Section 8 and I hope he goes the same treatment x1000000.

What I don't get is if I call the cops why can't there address it? Why is there no legal way to address this. Isn't this why there's an ordinance in the first place? The officer had the nerve to tell me that the bass coming into my house was acceptable. if it was coming into my house and you heard it, however is it acceptable? I don't want to hear / feel it, I want to goto sleep / enjoy my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
There's some way to blow them out using an old CB radio. Maybe someone here will know how this works.
I would love to know how this works. XD

Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM

347 posts, read 863,207 times
NPC Law Library: Delaware Noise Statutes

Maybe this will help.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
There are laws. Chances are laws are not being broken, but I can't say for sure. You need to be sure a law is being broken first, record the noise, then call the police and demand that something be done. You can also take the low road and do the same thing to this person (make sure you blast music he doesn't like...opera, whatever it may be) and make sure you do it when he sleeps...whenever that may be. Otherwise you may just have to move. Again...the law is the key...if a law is being broken and the police/landlord do not respond...then you can complain about them also...I highly suggest you do everything in writing, otherwise it doesn't exist. BUT in the end it probably won't be worth it or result in anything good, so move for your own sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware