Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware part of the North or the South?
South 9 8.41%
North 39 36.45%
Neither, it's Mid-Alantic 44 41.12%
Depends Where You Are 13 12.15%
Other 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,553,512 times

Advertisements

Conspicuous omission, that Border State is not a poll option. I guess 'depends where you are' is the closest to Border State, so I voted that way.

Delaware was a well-documented Border State. DE's three respective counties' geographic breakdown essentially mirrored the country at large. Northern most county leaned Union, middle county was a divided mini-Border State, & it's southernmost county (Sussex), mostly closely resembled & identified w/the South.
Anecdotally, it still seems like the state is basically aligned that way today..

I read a good book a few years back: Delaware During the Civil War (Harold Bell Hancock). It's kind of obscure, found my copy on Ebay, but.. a really insightful read on DE's 19th century Border State culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM

86 posts, read 206,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Conspicuous omission, that Border State is not a poll option. I guess 'depends where you are' is the closest to Border State, so I voted that way.

Delaware was a well-documented Border State. DE's three respective counties' geographic breakdown essentially mirrored the country at large. Northern most county leaned Union, middle county was a divided mini-Border State, & it's southernmost county (Sussex), mostly closely resembled & identified w/the South.
Anecdotally, it still seems like the state is basically aligned that way today..

I read a good book a few years back: Delaware During the Civil War (Harold Bell Hancock). It's kind of obscure, found my copy on Ebay, but.. a really insightful read on DE's 19th century Border State culture.
I find Delaware during the Civil War so interesting as they steadfastly refused to give up slavery, even when Lincoln tried to wean them off it with compensation. This was despite Delaware's minuscule slave population, less than 2000 I believe.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I find Delaware during the Civil War so interesting as they steadfastly refused to give up slavery, even when Lincoln tried to wean them off it with compensation..despite Delaware's minuscule slave population..
I'm with u, I dig antebellum Delaware (& general Border State) history. Democrats in Delaware were resistant (on principle) to a Federal, gradual, compensated emancipation plan. They saw Northern states like Pennsylvania emancipated their slaves at the state level, setting the precedent for abolition as a state sovereignty issue. On principle, DE didn't want the Federal government taking over their state sovereignty on abolition.. believing that it would (& realistically did) create a slippery slope of Federal supremacy over State's Rights.

Here's the partial Democratic resolution in opposition to Federal compensated emancipation (DE House of Representatives): When the people of Delaware desire to abolish slavery within her borders, they will do so in their own way.. though the State of Delaware is small, and her people none of the richest, they are beyond the reach of any who would promote an end by improper interference..

Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Definitely the SOUTH. Coming down from New England, Delaware certainly has a mild southern vibe to it. Heck even South Jersey does. Delaware shares numerous characteristics with the South, such as flatter terrain, a slower pace of life, bland housing and neighborhoods, divided highways, etc. Some people have mild southern accents there, too.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:59 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
Again? Haven't we done this before, a few years back?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:18 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Again? Haven't we done this before, a few years back?
Yes, and Yes
I remember we beat it to death. That's why I jokingly responded in such a flip way.

02blackgt didn't get it, rudely saying "Anyone who says south needs an IQ test: "
I let him slide, because he's a newbie, and from Florida.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
The U.S. Census Bureau even classifies Delaware as part of the South. It's not really that southern cultured, but it is IN the geographical South.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
If you(or I) have to draw a line, the canal would probably be the best place to draw a distinction between northern state Delaware and southern state Delaware. That would be based on geography and culture. The dividing line would then come down the middle of the Chesapeake, and then come up the Potomac River. Some might say the line might cut off some of Southern Maryland on the western shore, but this is a Delaware forum, so we can leave that for someone else to decide, even though I include MD's eastern shore south of the canal as part of the south.
Flame away. I know someone will disagree!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
It's a Southern state that's been heavily Northernized. There are Delaware natives who are Southerners, but they're clearly a minority.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau even classifies Delaware as part of the South. It's not really that southern cultured, but it is IN the geographical South.
The US Census isn't the end all of every classification. Their not perfect and even they would admit that.

Quote:
Definitely the SOUTH. Coming down from New England, Delaware certainly has a mild southern vibe to it. Heck even South Jersey does. Delaware shares numerous characteristics with the South, such as flatter terrain, a slower pace of life, bland housing and neighborhoods, divided highways, etc. Some people have mild southern accents there, too.
Judging by how you post, I can clearly tell you're not that familiar with the state of Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware