Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

The City of Rehoboth Beach has now voted in new rules that effectively will prohibit any Nativity (or any other display) on city property. To put the rule in a nutshell, the rule is that if the city doesn't own it or rent it, it can't be placed on city public property.

This is indeed a sad day, as Rehoboth history is that of a Methodist campground.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...ar/6178228002/

Rules per the city. These show as proposed from the meeting but were adopted yesterday.
https://cityofrehoboth.civicweb.net/...478A94823FD1C5

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 11-06-2020 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: Added rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 04:08 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
But that makes sense doesn't it? Nativity scenes are beautiful and they belong on church property, not public spaces.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But that makes sense doesn't it? Nativity scenes are beautiful and they belong on church property, not public spaces.
Not at all. Of course, it goes without saying that you are entitled to your opinion. Research the history of Rehoboth Beach and you will find it was settled by the Methodist as a campground - I can’t do it justice. The scene has been a part of this area Christmas display annually since the 1930’s. until 2 years ago. There was no cost to the city and all religious affiliations were offered the opportunity to host a display and not one was interested.

The circle in Georgetown has one as do many public spaces in De.

A Christmas tree is put up with Christmas carols sung. Santa has a house on the Boardwalk. (Not this year). All associated with Christianity and celebrated with much fanfare. The merchants love it as the annual tree lighting brings in throngs of people many of whom will have dinner and shop while here.

I come from a multi religion community on Long Island. I have been part of Hanukkah celebrations, Passover celebrations and Diwali celebrations to name just a few. They have been to my home during Christmas and Easter. None of us felt threatened, or disrespected by another’s beliefs or displays.
We shared the holidays. I learned a lot and respected the history of those celebrations. I even helped build a Sukkah with a few Jewish friends. I learned so much from my association with those from other faiths and truly respected each of them.

Rather than seeking to dismiss, we should speak to include and embrace what made the area what it was. Again, JMO.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:33 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
I have always loved seeing all the symbols of Christmas, including Nativity scenes. They are beautiful, and brighten the winter season. As with all other religious symbols, they belong on private property.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have always loved seeing all the symbols of Christmas, including Nativity scenes. They are beautiful, and brighten the winter season. As with all other religious symbols, they belong on private property.

Again, your opinion, to which you are entitled. Did you know that there is an annual Nativity display on the Ellipse in DC, not far from the Christmas Tree? It was removed for a period of 11 years and has been back since 1994. Read the history of the Nativity on the Ellipse in Dc. Good stuff.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:13 AM

We are supposed to have separation of Church and State in this country, and that should preclude placement of any and all religious symbols on public property. Violations of separation of Church and State don't by their existence make themselves right.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
We are supposed to have separation of Church and State in this country, and that should preclude placement of any and all religious symbols on public property. Violations of separation of Church and State don't by their existence make themselves right.
See Lynch v Donnelly regarding this position. Like I said and will fight for your right to it, you are entitled to your opinion. However, but I will always site the precedent for the case.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:24 AM

If you were to go by precedent for things that are patently wrong, we would still have slavery in this country.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:17 PM

30 posts, read 25,658 times
It's possible Rehoboth sees a litigation risk in using taxpayer money for any religious purpose, as atheists pay taxes too.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:55 AM

308 posts, read 297,559 times
Is the big Krampus display still ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware