Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 10:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times

Advertisements

I might be taking a job in the Philly area but I'd be more interested in living in DE than PA. I'm generally a city person so Wilmington is definitely on my list. Any other towns in DE that are nice and a decent commute up to the Philly area? What are the best Wilmington neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 12:54 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
If you don't mind a condo/apartment the downtown area around the riverfront puts you in close proximity to restaurants, nightlife, young professionals and an easy commute via SEPTA. If you plan on driving to/from work and want a more urban vibe, Trolley Square (NW of downtown) is popular with working professionals. New Castle is a historic city that offers some character and affordability. If you want safe more densely populated suburbs, North Wilmington (north of I-95) out along Concord Pike through Talleyville is a good choice.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you don't mind a condo/apartment the downtown area around the riverfront puts you in close proximity to restaurants, nightlife, young professionals and an easy commute via SEPTA. If you plan on driving to/from work and want a more urban vibe, Trolley Square (NW of downtown) is popular with working professionals. New Castle is a historic city that offers some character and affordability. If you want safe more densely populated suburbs, North Wilmington (north of I-95) out along Concord Pike through Talleyville is a good choice.
Thanks. Trolley Square comes up a lot. I've also looked at some places on the river that look nice. I'd just prefer to live in DE than PA.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks. Trolley Square comes up a lot. I've also looked at some places on the river that look nice. I'd just prefer to live in DE than PA.
Personally I would opt for riverfront/downtown, even if driving versus the train. It's just off of I-95 and fairly convenient in that respect, also to restaurants/bars. A new Shop-Rite grocery store has opened at 5th and South Walnut which has helped folks out living in all those high-rises along the river.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Personally I would opt for riverfront/downtown, even if driving versus the train. It's just off of I-95 and fairly convenient in that respect, also to restaurants/bars. A new Shop-Rite grocery store has opened at 5th and South Walnut which has helped folks out living in all those high-rises along the river.
I just applied to a place called Crosby Hill. It's on North Shipley Street right near the Queen and Bardea. I couldn't find any decent places online in Trolley Square and I've been to the Riverfront in the past and just wasn't into it. Also, some of the apartment buildings there get poor reviews online. I hope I picked a decent area in the city.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:19 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I hope that you have recently visited the area and can be sure of where you will be living. I honestly don't understand how anyone can sink money into where they are going to live without thoroughly investigating the neighborhood and doing the drive that you will need to make.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I hope that you have recently visited the area and can be sure of where you will be living. I honestly don't understand how anyone can sink money into where they are going to live without thoroughly investigating the neighborhood and doing the drive that you will need to make.
Believe it or not, I have leased places sight unseen and have had no regrets. I do plenty of research online before committing to an area and building. Crosby Hill is downtown and has some of the best restaurants in the neighborhood. I prefer an urban environment and this place seems to fit the bill being in the city, new construction, and will only be a 45 minute drive to my office in Philly. Philly just doesn't appeal to me to live and I've visited the waterfront in the past and it just wasn't for me. Plus, Wilmington sits within 2 hours for 4 major cities and I prefer a small/medium city to a large one.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Believe it or not, I have leased places sight unseen and have had no regrets. I do plenty of research online before committing to an area and building. Crosby Hill is downtown and has some of the best restaurants in the neighborhood. I prefer an urban environment and this place seems to fit the bill being in the city, new construction, and will only be a 45 minute drive to my office in Philly. Philly just doesn't appeal to me to live and I've visited the waterfront in the past and it just wasn't for me. Plus, Wilmington sits within 2 hours for 4 major cities and I prefer a small/medium city to a large one.
Is your office in Center City Philly? If so you should really consider the SEPTA train to/from, at least some of the time.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:45 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Glad that has been your experience in the past. Hope your luck continues.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:46 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
My daughter lives in Hokessen and it is a nice little community next to Wilmington. She moved there because the shcools are better than the rest of the area. She commuted to Phili for years but getting up at 4 to leave before 6 to beat the traffic and then trying to leave by 3:30 (she was the boss) to get home before 7 was exhausting. If you leave during rush hour 6:30 to 8:30 you will be in traffic for an hour and a half each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware