Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 9,914 times

Advertisements

I've planned a visit to Delaware for the week of August 21st. I already have my places to stay lined up. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with:

• As I'll be driving a rental car and didn't choose the option that includes toll coverage, are there any particular roads (or sections of roads) I should avoid if I don't want to pay tolls? I expect to be driving anywhere between northern DE (Newark, Christiana, etc) down to Lewes, Rehoboth and Bethany Beach and west to Seaford. I likely will not be going into Wilmington.
  • Which would be the best public beach areas for me to visit? Are there any that won't be super crowded on a weekday in August? What about parking near the beach? Is there a fee to park at beach areas, and how do you pay?
  • Can anyone suggest a moderately priced seafood restaurant near the water?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 07:33 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East2West&back View Post
I've planned a visit to Delaware for the week of August 21st. I already have my places to stay lined up. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with:
  • As I'll be driving a rental car and didn't choose the option that includes toll coverage, are there any particular roads (or sections of roads) I should avoid if I don't want to pay tolls? I expect to be driving anywhere between northern DE (Newark, Christiana, etc) down to Lewes, Rehoboth and Bethany Beach and west to Seaford. I likely will not be going into Wilmington.
  • Which would be the best public beach areas for me to visit? Are there any that won't be super crowded on a weekday in August? What about parking near the beach? Is there a fee to park at beach areas, and how do you pay?
  • Can anyone suggest a moderately priced seafood restaurant near the water?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice!
"Super Crowded" exists in the beach areas. Sorry, but as a native Delawarean, I avoid the beach areas at all costs. You have to experience it yourself, and the beach areas are a nightmare, almost all summer long. Parking along Rehoboth Avenue (leads to the ocean) is metered. And, that's a major source of income for the City. Seafood restaurants are near the ocean, but prepare to stand in line. Yes, they're expensive. When I MUST go down to the beach areas for work, I see mostly out-of-state license plates. They love the crowds I guess. Forget weekends, it's the worst. If you must go to the beach, there's a transit bus area as you arrive in the Lewes area. A lot of people use that to get to the beach areas. We only have one toll road in southern Delaware, Route 1.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
As RDLR pointed out the beach is crowded. Route 1 is the only "reasonable" approach to the beach area. You can go along some parallel roads for a while but ultimately you are on Rt. 1. Attached is the toll calculator

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/toll...es/tolls.shtml

There are no free beaches that I am aware of in the Rehoboth - Lewes area. Dewey Beach, Rehoboth are $3 per hour to park and Lewes is $2.50 at the beach, unless that has recently increased. I would suggest that you pull into the ParknRide in Rehoboth (just outside the city limits) and grab the bus. They run very frequently to the beach and are $4 per day for a daily pass. There are also other options in terms of length of time. You can bring chairs and anything else you need. I am a resident and I would not dream of going to the beach any other way.

There are so many seafood restaurants in Reho and everyone has a different favorite. In as much as I don't have a clue what you consider moderate there is always trip advisor to get a feel. IF you are looking to be able to see the water while dining that is a pretty tall order in Rehoboth.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Delaware.html

Old 07-24-2023, 12:19 PM

980 posts, read 539,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
"Super Crowded" exists in the beach areas. Sorry, but as a native Delawarean, I avoid the beach areas at all costs. You have to experience it yourself, and the beach areas are a nightmare, almost all summer long. Parking along Rehoboth Avenue (leads to the ocean) is metered. And, that's a major source of income for the City. Seafood restaurants are near the ocean, but prepare to stand in line. Yes, they're expensive. When I MUST go down to the beach areas for work, I see mostly out-of-state license plates. They love the crowds I guess. Forget weekends, it's the worst. If you must go to the beach, there's a transit bus area as you arrive in the Lewes area. A lot of people use that to get to the beach areas. We only have one toll road in southern Delaware, Route 1.
I have gone to the beach in Delaware in the end of August, can't remember which one, but it was not that bad. Yes it was somewhat crowded, maybe we went on a week day, can't remember for sure. We were able to walk along the beach without bothering anyone and we found a nice spot to put our stuff while the kids went in the water. I am from a state that is mostly rural so I notice crowds and I don't think all the beaches are that bad.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
"Super Crowded" exists in the beach areas. Sorry, but as a native Delawarean, I avoid the beach areas at all costs. You have to experience it yourself, and the beach areas are a nightmare, almost all summer long. Parking along Rehoboth Avenue (leads to the ocean) is metered. And, that's a major source of income for the City. Seafood restaurants are near the ocean, but prepare to stand in line. Yes, they're expensive. If you must go to the beach, there's a transit bus area as you arrive in the Lewes area. A lot of people use that to get to the beach areas. We only have one toll road in southern Delaware, Route 1.

Well that's disappointing to hear about the beaches being so crowded, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised as we're talking about a tourist area during Summer. If I do try to venture to the beach, it will be on a weekday.
For the street parking you mentioned, can you only pay with coins, or are there pay boxes that accept credit cards and give you a receipt to display on your dash?
If I do find myself driving on Route 1, how do they collect the tolls? Are there toll booths, or cameras that read your license plate and send you a bill, or do they use toll transponders like E-Z Pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As RDLR pointed out the beach is crowded. Route 1 is the only "reasonable" approach to the beach area. You can go along some parallel roads for a while but ultimately you are on Rt. 1. Attached is the toll calculator

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/toll...es/tolls.shtml

There are no free beaches that I am aware of in the Rehoboth - Lewes area. Dewey Beach, Rehoboth are $3 per hour to park and Lewes is $2.50 at the beach, unless that has recently increased. I would suggest that you pull into the ParknRide in Rehoboth (just outside the city limits) and grab the bus. They run very frequently to the beach and are $4 per day for a daily pass. There are also other options in terms of length of time. You can bring chairs and anything else you need. I am a resident and I would not dream of going to the beach any other way.

There are so many seafood restaurants in Reho and everyone has a different favorite. In as much as I don't have a clue what you consider moderate there is always trip advisor to get a feel. IF you are looking to be able to see the water while dining that is a pretty tall order in Rehoboth.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Delaware.html

Would going to Bethany Beach be any better than trying to go to Rehoboth? With the buses, do you have to have exact fare in coins or do they have an app to pay for your bus fare?

Is all of Route 1 throughout the state a toll road?

Old 07-24-2023, 02:21 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
A couple of answers for you:

Route 1 is only a toll from 95 to just south of Dover, then there is no cost. You have a toll at the Roth bridge and then a small toll at each exit. The bridge toll is $1 Monday through Thursday, but goes up to $3 for the weekends and you pay it both ways. They do either EZ Pass or License plate photo and send you a bill. There are manned booths at the big plazas, but not at any of the off ramps. I have EZ Pass so I'm not sure if there is a surcharge for the photo billing or not.

Parts of 301 are also toll, but depending where you are coming from you probably wouldn't be anywhere near that for the beaches.

I have lived here 8 years and like rdlr I wouldn't go near the beach areas during the summer. I have even seen the traffic backed up to almost Dover on weekends in the summer. NY, NJ, MD, PA cars but very few DE cars. Ridiculous and crazy drivers in a big hurry to get to the beach. We have been known to go down to the outlets or antique shops, but only during mid-week and never close to the beaches. One time I had to go down to Rehoboth Ave to a certain store on a Wednesday and couldn't find one parking space. Hubby dropped me off and circled around to pick me up. Traffic eases up after Labor Day but can still be crowded. Remember you not only have tourists there but also people who work in the area in the morning and late afternoon.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2West&back View Post
Well that's disappointing to hear about the beaches being so crowded, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised as we're talking about a tourist area during Summer. If I do try to venture to the beach, it will be on a weekday.
For the street parking you mentioned, can you only pay with coins, or are there pay boxes that accept credit cards and give you a receipt to display on your dash?
If I do find myself driving on Route 1, how do they collect the tolls? Are there toll booths, or cameras that read your license plate and send you a bill, or do they use toll transponders like E-Z Pass?

Would going to Bethany Beach be any better than trying to go to Rehoboth? With the buses, do you have to have exact fare in coins or do they have an app to pay for your bus fare?

Is all of Route 1 throughout the state a toll road?

The bus will do either exact change or bills or the app. I too, have an ezpass so I can't tell you're sure but it will only be as RothBear says $6 on weekends and there is no toll from Dover South.

The beaches are all crowded by most peoples thinking. As a transplant from LI, this is what I know, so to me the crowds are just that. As Yogi Berra once said, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." Bethany charges the same $3 for parking.

Believe me the way to go is the bus, not only will you get in there faster, you can stay as long as you want and they run roughly every 15 min. (201 Line) You are roughly 2 miles from the beach in Rehoboth at the ParknRide.

https://dartfirststate.com/RiderInfo...=1690247186309

Once the 15th of August comes the crowds die down a bit, as many of the college students are already due back at school the 3rd week

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-24-2023 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Added info:

Old 07-24-2023, 08:14 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
The Bethany area is less crowded and while parking is a problem there are alternatives to public parking. We go to the state park beach at Fenwick or Tower Beach. While parking is $10, you can get a yearly pass. Not sure how much it is for a regular pass, we have a senior rate.

Bear Trap Dunes and Sea Colony (communities with rentals) have shuttle service to downtown Bethany Beach and there may be others that I am not aware of.

Sea Colony also has several high rises on the beach. I have no idea what their rentals go for. Also check out the many motels in Dewey. Traffic is bad but you can find a place within walking distance of the beach as well as many restaurants.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:31 AM

Enjoy your visit - if you have no more questions and if so ask away. If not, let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Enjoy your visit - if you have no more questions and if so ask away. If not, let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.

I guess I hadn't really thought too much about the tourist aspect of living in Delaware (I'm not sure why). I've never really lived in a tourist area before. When I lived in the suburbs of NYC, I was usually only in NYC when I was working, and yes it could be a PITA to drive around Manhattan especially during the busier times of year like Christmas or during the meeting of the UN General Assembly in September.

Would the worst of the tourist season be between June and August?

This all sort of reminds me of the movie Jaws, when the locals on Amity Island complained about the "Summer dinks" overrunning the island. I imagine that's how the locals in Delaware feel about all of the out of state tourists descending on the area.

Thanks to all of you who have offered replies in my thread.

Last edited by East2West&back; 07-25-2023 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware