Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 11:50 AM

37 posts, read 49,684 times

Advertisements

We are in the Lewes area and have both an antenna and an amplifier installed in the attic, but get no channels. Any thoughts as to how to improve reception without cable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 12:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
Use the internet and get You tube TV. You get all the channels of cable without the contract or cost. If you have a smart TV, it's a simple download.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:24 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,093 times
I also live in the Lewes area. I can only pick up about 11 local stations with an indoor antenna ( long range with 18 ft cord) placed in a southwest facing window. It must have no obstructions such as buildings. There is a tree line about 150 feet away. Reception is better during the winter when there are no leaves on the trees, but, it still gets most stations during the summer.

I have a 10 year old smart tv and the TV location has to be so I can link to my internet connection in order to switch from broadcast TV to smart tv via the internet connection. (That is why the 18 ft cord on the digital HDTV antenna is important to allow me to place the indoor antenna in a SW window and the TV within range of a wifi internet connection.)

So, it may be that the location of your antenna is the problem. I live in a first floor condo - so no attic. My indoor antenna must be placed in a southwest facing window. You might try moving your antenna to various window locations to see if you can pickup local broadcast stations. I get some Philly stations and some Maryland stations.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:16 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly23 View Post
We are in the Lewes area and have both an antenna and an amplifier installed in the attic, but get no channels. Any thoughts as to how to improve reception without cable?
Use your address to determine which stations are available to you in which direction and what type of antenna you need, other conditions.
Explore the sites to troubleshoot

https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

You need TV with the tuner - new ones come without it?
Is your roof metal?

Old 09-06-2023, 11:18 AM

37 posts, read 49,684 times
thanks for those 2 websites to check---the roof is part shingle and part metal but what does that have to do with tv reception?

Old 09-06-2023, 11:24 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
Signals are weakened by just about any roof - but especially a metal roof. If you're not sure - take the antenna outside by hand for a few minutes and see if things improve. For sure - any metal "shielding" is going to reduce your chance of success.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:29 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,050 times
Make sure the small end of the antenna is pointed toward the broadcast towers(many people get this wrong). Check the cable to make sure there aren’t any breaks or loose connectors. Buildings and trees can also obstruct/weaken TV signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: