Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,480 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm helping a family member try to figure out if DE living is something for them? A married couple, no kids going into single family home living. Any northern town/areas to consider or stay away from? Places of north DE interest (see attached map picture) - Afton, Barkley, Carpenter, Woodbine, Benton, etc.

I live in central DE but I'm not familiar with towns and areas close to the DE border with PA.

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Consideration - DE Very Northern Towns & Areas-img_3323.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 03:26 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Generally speaking the areas closer to the PA state line tend nicer, like Brandywine and Woodbine.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:35 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
I guess it depends on their age, and why they're thinking of moving to northern Delaware.

I grew up near there. There are some nice middle-class homes there. It's safe. The neighbors will have some education. If one of them is transferring for a job in Wilmington, it makes sense, and it's a fine place to live. You have Brandywine Creek State Park not far, Philadelphia is just down the highway, Baltimore/DC/the beaches aren't a far drive. The biggest problem is that it's just not a very exciting area. It's not the worst type of suburban sprawl—it's a little more bucolic and wooded than your average suburban sprawl—but it's sprawl, nonetheless. There's no cute little town to walk around in. They won't be able to walk to local restaurants and stores unless they happen to live close to one of the strip malls. There is a bit more nightlife than there was when I grew up in the area, with a small concert venue in Arden and a few brewpubs scattered around. But if they're young and looking to have a lot of fun without having to leave the area ... there are more exciting places to move to. If they're older, it might be ideal for them.

They should visit, if they can.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:01 PM

52 posts, read 46,426 times
From 2023. Best places to live in Delaware.
https://youtu.be/BLkVg8nSxhc?si=wUGzLteHQ1549Ux1

Old 02-09-2024, 08:50 PM

16 posts, read 10,413 times
If one is inclined to live in that part of Delaware, then I recommend staying north of Route 2 and west of Route 202.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:09 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
I guess it depends on their age, and why they're thinking of moving to northern Delaware.

I grew up near there. There are some nice middle-class homes there. It's safe. The neighbors will have some education. If one of them is transferring for a job in Wilmington, it makes sense, and it's a fine place to live. You have Brandywine Creek State Park not far, Philadelphia is just down the highway, Baltimore/DC/the beaches aren't a far drive. The biggest problem is that it's just not a very exciting area. It's not the worst type of suburban sprawl—it's a little more bucolic and wooded than your average suburban sprawl—but it's sprawl, nonetheless. There's no cute little town to walk around in. They won't be able to walk to local restaurants and stores unless they happen to live close to one of the strip malls. There is a bit more nightlife than there was when I grew up in the area, with a small concert venue in Arden and a few brewpubs scattered around. But if they're young and looking to have a lot of fun without having to leave the area ... there are more exciting places to move to. If they're older, it might be ideal for them.

They should visit, if they can.
I've often wondered about DE. It seems to have such a great location. Is it not exciting like the Chapel Hill area of NC where there isn't a whole heck of a lot going on, and you're relatively far from beaches or mountains (compared to say someone living in New England) or is it worse than that (as far as exciting goes)? I would think maybe the proximity to NYC, Annapolis, DC and Philly would count for something.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:55 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I've often wondered about DE. It seems to have such a great location. Is it not exciting like the Chapel Hill area of NC where there isn't a whole heck of a lot going on, and you're relatively far from beaches or mountains (compared to say someone living in New England) or is it worse than that (as far as exciting goes)? I would think maybe the proximity to NYC, Annapolis, DC and Philly would count for something.
If one has the social skills of a burrowing rodent perhaps but otherwise "nothing to do" is a way out of left field observation for the Durham-Chapel Hill area.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 7,031 times
The area between US 202 (Concord Pike) and DE 3 (Marsh Road) is a good area with a mixture of young families to seniors who have decided to stay where they moved in awhile ago and raised children who have now left their house and even have their own children. Home prices in this area seem to be in the 400000-600000 range at the moment. West of US 202 the prices of single family homes have been in the 700,000s recently which would seem high to me as a first time homeowner but that may be fine for these individuals' particular situation. I would recommend getting the lateral line checked at inspection or at least insured as there have been several in my neighborhood alone since 2020 including mine that were originally made of terracotta that had broken down in the past decades over time especially with large trees that have aggressive roots such as silver maples. Neighbors also told me they had issues as well as others before we had moved into our current neighborhood. Another item to check is drainage of the lot and basement.

Last edited by VA&PAtoDE; 03-19-2024 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: