Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times

Advertisements

I had the root canal done and they did indeed find a crack in my tooth. It went fine, completely painless for be during and after the procedure. However, I have waited to get a crown on it (it needs one due to the crack) because my insurance in 2011 ran out. So i have an appointment to put the crown on it in 3 weeks and GO FIGURE, now all of a sudden it's throbbing again, much like before my root canal. I think the crack got bigger and perhaps spread to the root causing the infection.

Back to the dentist....

Im assuming I will need ANOTHER root canal, or to get the tooth pulled...but I'd hate to have it pulled as I am terrified to even THINK about an implant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I had the root canal done and they did indeed find a crack in my tooth. It went fine, completely painless for be during and after the procedure. However, I have waited to get a crown on it (it needs one due to the crack) because my insurance in 2011 ran out. So i have an appointment to put the crown on it in 3 weeks and GO FIGURE, now all of a sudden it's throbbing again, much like before my root canal. I think the crack got bigger and perhaps spread to the root causing the infection.

Back to the dentist....

Im assuming I will need ANOTHER root canal, or to get the tooth pulled...but I'd hate to have it pulled as I am terrified to even THINK about an implant.
The implant requires a bunch of visits... but it's really the best solution if your root canal is going to be nothing but problems.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
If you had a root canal, then you have no root. There is no root to cause pain, it no longer exists and was replaced with a composite or metal post material. If it hurts, there might be an infection in the gum; very possible if you have a crack that's been left exposed. Dirt gets in the crack, into the gumline, doesn't get a chance to be removed, and causes a bacterial infection.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you had a root canal, then you have no root. There is no root to cause pain, it no longer exists and was replaced with a composite or metal post material. If it hurts, there might be an infection in the gum; very possible if you have a crack that's been left exposed. Dirt gets in the crack, into the gumline, doesn't get a chance to be removed, and causes a bacterial infection.
So if thats the case, then the root canal wouldn't need to be redone?
I can just get my crown on as planned?

The tooth doesn't hurt itself, the gum above it is pulsating (like I can feel my pulse in it) and it feels a bit like someone is tugging on my tooth.

I meant, i think the crack may have cracked through the base of the tooth....that would be bad, wouldn't it?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
If the root canal broke, then it would need to be redone. But the tooth has already been weakened by a crack, and the odds of it remaining intact and not cracking even worse while dealing with hollowing out and re-posting an existing root canal are bad.

You're probably better off just getting an implant.

The tooth itself won't hurt, because there's no nerve anymore.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If the root canal broke, then it would need to be redone. But the tooth has already been weakened by a crack, and the odds of it remaining intact and not cracking even worse while dealing with hollowing out and re-posting an existing root canal are bad.

You're probably better off just getting an implant.

The tooth itself won't hurt, because there's no nerve anymore.
(sigh) I wish teeth didn't shift. It's a back tooth (2nd from the back) and I wouldn't mind just leaving a hole.

Oh well....

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
I need a root canal in a top molar second from the back tooth. It is very infected right now so I'm on antibiotics to kill the infection. I'm very nervous about the root canal and thinking about getting IV sedated for it if possible. I have heard of SOO many root canals never actually helping the tooth and having to get it pulled anyway later on. I'm worried about this happening especially since I'd be paying for the root canal out of pocket and then for it to not work or something. It would be a waste of the money. Do I root canal it or just have it pulled? I am 28 years old as an FYI if that matters.

I also dont want to pull it and then get an implant or bridge or anything. But the dentists say it will screw up your teeth by leaving a space is that true or a ploy to get money? Because I know 3 people who have had teeth pulled over 10 years ago and their teeth have never shifted into the hole. ???
Just speaking for myself, I'd pull the tooth. I don't know if you are male or femal (and I am too lazy to look at your profile), but there is a correlation between root canals and breast cancer. While it is true this correlation has more to do with root canals of front teeth, I still wouldn't risk it.

Google it for more info if you don't believe me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:

Back to the dentist....

Sorry to hear your tooth is giving you problems. Hopefully things will improve for you very soon.

I had my tooth pulled. However I'm not so sure that tooth was the complete problem. Since this tooth has been pulled I still have that throbbing also, but it seems to travel around to different teeth now. Its been 9 days since I had the back molar pulled, so I'm not sure whats going on. I would think that throbbing feeling would be subsiding by now. So like you I guess I will have to return to the dentist. Although I'm not so sure Dentist put much effort, into going to the actual source of the pain. I'm definitely sure some are not really sure, exactly what tooth is the culprit with toothache pain.

Good luck to you I know how you feel.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 60,578 times
Quote:
Also, to "concerned999999...." warm water higher than body temperature and lower than boiling, will NOT kill bacteria and will in fact create a perfect petri dish for growing new bacteria. The reason you're getting boils and infections, is because you're not INGESTING the antibiotics that need to work in your SYSTEM and not at the location of your tooth. If you did what the dentist told you to do, you probably wouldn't have all these problems in the first place.

Also, DMSO is known to contribute to neurotoxicity of the brain, and as such, the last thing you'd want to do, is put it on an infection in the mouth (where nerves and blood vessels provide a direct access to the brain). Yes, it can act as a delivery method for other drugs. However it is indicated very specifically for things OTHER than infection. The FDA has approved it for interstitial cystitis (a bladder disease), but not for anything else.

I'd say that not only is the fact that you posted your use this method as an effective method even if it is just for yourself only, irresponsible, but the fact that you have boils at all is proof that your method fails and you need to try something a little more conventional. Like - swallowing those pills instead of rinsing with their contents while you eat.
You presume quite a bit and not correctly in several cases, 'anonchick'. Where should I start?

If what you say is true about elevated temperature and bacteria, then there is no biological purpose for running a fever when suffering from a bacterial (or viral) infection. But in reality there are several . Some bacteria are indeed killed by elevated temperatures. Several immunological reactions are also sped up by elevated temperature, including increased white blood cell and T-cell proliferation. And, finally, there is my direct experience which is consistently reduced inflammation and soreness in the affected area for at least several hours after running hot water over it.

You wrongly presume that I started 'this method' which caused the infection. That is known as getting it backwards. If you had read my posting with reasonable care, you would have seen that I developed these treatment methods as a result of the infection, not vice-versa. So I had the infection, gumboil and facial swelling before I did any of this. So, the reader of your response must discard everything you posted that assumed differently.

I should also mention that I didn't even start these treatment methods until over a week after I started merely taking the straight antibiotics - they lost their efficacy after some initial improvement and I still had considerable swelling and the gumboil was not improving from merely taking the antibiotics I was prescribed (2 at a time then), so I thought I needed to do better than that if possible.

I nowhere stated, nor should you presume that I did not 'swallow' the pills that were prescribed - even the ones I swished in my mouth, I swallowed afterwards, so that in no material way did I deviate from the prescription.

Regarding DMSO, it is apparent that it did succeed in transporting the antibiotic to the affected area in higher concentrations than mere ingestion would have and thus additionally suppressed the infection. However, since the bacteria were already concentrated in the infected area treated, they could hardly have been further 'introduced' in any significant amount by the DMSO- in fact, probably the opposite occurred, where some exited the affected area (all of which was saturated with very high concentrations of antibiotics).

I am not & don't want to deny or minimize the usual cautions regarding DMSO but I can honestly state that the DMSO/antibiotic treatment I devised helped bring down the local infection when used.

And, as of the time of this posting, nearly all signs of the infection are gone and it is further reducing as time goes on. In fact, the only reason any minor local sensitivity remains at all is due to continuing bacterial leakage from one root of the tooth, but that is continuing to reduce as time goes on. There is no swelling and no gum boil any more. I am still in hopes that I can ultimately avoid the root canal.

Last edited by concerned33; 01-13-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned9999999999999999 View Post
Part of the idea of what I'm doing to cure the problem I have is that I'm always hitting the infection with something almost 24/7. For instance, since I last posted, I did the antibiotic & DMSO thing for 7 minutes and the shower thing I mentioned, and I'd say 80% of the bone soreness I had when I last posted is gone (but the combination of the DMSO and the antibiotic that it transported through the gum leaves a pretty bitter aftertaste an hour later). Now, I've got the partial cotton ball with the antibiotic salve in my cheek against the sore area. Tomorrow morning when I wake up it might come back to half of what it was, but pretty much every time I hit it with one thing after the next, it pushes the infection back some more. So after a couple weeks, eventually the idea is it should resolve itself. I've been at this for a week and a half and I've gone from swollen face with eye half shut to less than one fingers breadth of slightly sore gum and essentially no swelling. It's time consuming but if it results in no surgical procedure being necessary and keeping the tooth as is, it's well worth it in my book.
Apparently, licorice root (available at most asian markets) is very helpful in killing the bacteria that causes gum disease (and other dental issues).

I have not had a tooth pulled in all my 56 years. I will stick it out until the tooth falls out on its own. This makes for a lot of pain and misery, but I do not trust nor appreciate dentists and the "attitudes" that they exhibit, so I would rather have the pain. I have a high pain tolerance anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

By the way, instead of DMSO and antibiotic, I would suggest DMSO and FOOD GRADE 12% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (please don't use the drug store kind which is full of poisons and don't use anything stronger that 12%). I have gotten rid of a LOT of bad infections with this and it works wonders.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health