Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM

111 posts, read 195,404 times

Advertisements

I will be 53 years old in a month and a half. Today I was told that I will have to have either an implant or a bridge done for a tooth that has been bothering me. Apparently it is infected. This tooth is a bottom molar on the left side, second from the back. It had a crown put on a few years ago. I still had pain so a root canal was done. I've had problems with it on and off over the years. My old dentist said it may flair up because of my sinuses, but my current dentist said sinuses would only affect the top teeth.

At my age, would it be better to just get a bridge, or is the implant the better solution? I hate not having a tooth for 6 months, even though it might not be that noticeable in back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
What is the condition of the teeth adjacent to this one tooth? Anytime you do a bridge, you have to grind down the adjacent teeth, which compromises their structure. If they are in good shape, I would recommend you go ahead with the implant and keep those other two adjacent teeth intact. The $7500 pricetag seems high and I would suggest you get another quote. It's about a $5000 (or under) job total.

The sinus issue is only a problem with top teeth.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 14,672 times
I had two implants about a year ago. Yes, it was a long drawn out procedure but it's like having your real teeth. I had no problems whatsoever. My insurance didn't cover the cost, so it was all out of pocket. they would have paid for half the cost of the bridge. In the past I had a bridge and the adjacent tooth had to be pulled so the bridge was destroyed.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,396 times
$ 5000 for one implant !!!! They are robbing you. Insurance doesn't cover it because it is too expensive.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
$ 5000 for one implant !!!! They are robbing you. Insurance doesn't cover it because it is too expensive.
You're in Arizona, I'm in NJ.... it should be twice as much here.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 AM

613 posts, read 1,054,782 times
Im having 3 implants for my front teeth 13k. Id go with the implant a bridge destroys the other teeth.Not to be mean but in a couple years wont ur teeth start to fall out anyway so it might be better to get the bridge cuz its cheaper

Old 09-30-2011, 07:30 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Anytime you do a bridge, you have to grind down the adjacent teeth, which compromises their structure. If they are in good shape, I would recommend you go ahead with the implant and keep those other two adjacent teeth intact.
Exactly. Dentists are supposed to inform you of the options for each and not everyone's teeth can support a bridge.

There's another thread on this: Dental: Implant Versus Bridge

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 26,205 times
I have a question. A tooth on the down molar is infected, the gum shrinks. The dentist wants to put the crown on this tooth, but the crown will not touch the gum. I am wondering how long I can keep this tooth with crown before it needs root canal job. This tooth has a big filling. Will this tooth be better with root canal before crown or without root canal after crown? What is the difference between the tooth (with crown) with root canal done and not done? Thanks a lot for any help!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its reallt your choice as to a fixed cridge or implant. The implant you will not know fro your regular teeth and fixed bridge will be almost aas good if weel done but hard to keep clean from stuff getting underneith. Its all a mater of what you can afford.They can do a root canal to even the anchoring teeth that fixed beridge is atteched to be drilling thru the capped tooth.Just as they can a crowned tooth.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 14,469 times
Default Crown and birdges

Dental Crowns and bridges restore tooth / teeth that are damaged, damaged or lost. Both crowns and most bridges are fixed prosthetic used for dental restoration. Crowns and bridges are cemented onto existing teeth or implants that can be removed by a dentist. It's not like other removable devices such as prostheses, which can be removed and cleaned every day for you.
You can restore the damaged tooth to its original position, dentist use the crown while the bridge is used to replace one or more missing teeth. Returns will be cemented on the teeth and are so called fixed. Some dentists use local anesthesia, and procedures for the preparation of the teeth, badly decayed teeth may need to build a special repair material. A bridge fixed prosthesis at the regional level missing tooth, known as an intermediate element, while two or more adjacent teeth are called pillars of support. The impression is taken of the prepared area and a temporary crown or bridge is placed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health