Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 AM

142 posts, read 294,067 times

Advertisements

I will be going for the procedure in July. The cost of all my teeth, minus 6 molars (2 on top and 4 on bottom) missing from bone loss due to menopause is going to cost $4800.00. I will also need a gum graft on a bottom front tooth after the procedure is done because there is too much recession in that area (due to years of using a hard toothbrush) for the laser surgery alone to deal with. That will cost an additional $400.00. The payment plan set up is going to be 20% down with the balance divided into 24 payments. That is doable.
Now, according to the Peridontist, I have a lot of bone loss and the aim is to get the bone to grow back. According to him, there is a much better chance of that happening with laser surgery than with traditional surgery. When I asked the doctor if it would be better and cheaper to just have the teeth yanked and get dentures he was really horrified and said that there is nothing like your own teeth. Even implants are a poor second to real teeth. Besides, even though I'm almost 60 and many people my age do have false teeth, he said that my general teeth are healthy. and look better than any false teeth (dentures or implants) would. I'm taking the chance and going forward with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
I will be going for the procedure in July. The cost of all my teeth, minus 6 molars (2 on top and 4 on bottom) missing from bone loss due to menopause is going to cost $4800.00. I will also need a gum graft on a bottom front tooth after the procedure is done because there is too much recession in that area (due to years of using a hard toothbrush) for the laser surgery alone to deal with. That will cost an additional $400.00. The payment plan set up is going to be 20% down with the balance divided into 24 payments. That is doable.
Now, according to the Peridontist, I have a lot of bone loss and the aim is to get the bone to grow back. According to him, there is a much better chance of that happening with laser surgery than with traditional surgery. When I asked the doctor if it would be better and cheaper to just have the teeth yanked and get dentures he was really horrified and said that there is nothing like your own teeth. Even implants are a poor second to real teeth. Besides, even though I'm almost 60 and many people my age do have false teeth, he said that my general teeth are healthy. and look better than any false teeth (dentures or implants) would. I'm taking the chance and going forward with this.
Who told you menopause causes bone loss in the jaws?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMama View Post
Paul, I had it done. It wasn't bad at all and I never would have allowed someone to hack up & sew up my gums when I had no symptoms whatsoever (no bleeding or pain or ANYthing, just pockets that measured 6-9 when I got my teeth cleaned). It's been more than a year & I'm doing great. I actually got mine done for free because I went to the place that sells the lasers to other dentists, & they used me to teach the procedure (no worries; very closely supervised). The whole thing was pretty awesome, actually. PM me if you need more info.
Hi, Can you pls tell me where you got it done?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 17,645 times
Default Lanap surgery

I had lanap surgery 3 weeks ago ,very expensive .I am having a difficult time finding anyone who has had this surgery..over a year ..to verify positive results .So far ..I went from having deep pockets noted,That were improving with deep scaling ..To a very painful post procedure.I now have 3 teeth in the front ..that need expensive follow up work .One tooth now needs a root canal for severe pain post procedure .Another tooth is suddenly extremely loose ,and another right in the front turned bright pink from internal bleeding that prob can't be fixed .My breath is so awful ..can't get a straight answer anywhere on how to really keep my teeth clean .If any one has had positive results from the procedure ..or can help me with cleaning tips ..please help .

Old 12-12-2015, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,645 times
Default Lanap surgery

I had lanap surgery 3 weeks ago ,very expensive .I am having a difficult time finding anyone who has had this surgery..over a year ..to verify positive results .So far ..I went from having deep pockets noted,That were improving with deep scaling ..To a very painful post procedure.I now have 3 teeth in the front ..that need expensive follow up work .One tooth now needs a root canal for severe pain post procedure .Another tooth is suddenly extremely loose ,and another right in the front turned bright pink from internal bleeding that prob can't be fixed .My breath is so awful ..can't get a straight answer anywhere on how to really keep my teeth clean .If any one has had positive results from the procedure ..or can help me with cleaning tips ..please help .

Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM

194 posts, read 221,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra formola View Post
I had the surgery and needed another surgery two years later.

I would suggest a child's toothbrush extremely soft. Also you should get a prescribed toothpaste to help with sensitivity and a prescribed mouthwash. I think a little bit of looseness is norm b/c the pockets have shrunk but hopefully they will tighten up after time.

Breath - drink mint tea

Old 12-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Who told you menopause causes bone loss in the jaws?

I was told that by my doctor that in some women there is rapid bone loss with menopause and is usually most evident in the jaw.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra formola View Post

Hi Debra, didn't your doctor give you a special rinse to use twice a day for the first week and then a very soft brush to use twice a day afterwards? For me there were two worse parts of the procedures. The first was all the needles. I had injections all over my gums. At one point I actually had to get up from the chair they were so bad. Because of my age I was given shots without adrenaline. The second worse part was not being able to brush or floss my teeth for a week (and eat a soft diet). I was not even able to rinse my mouth out with water because it would disturb the blood clots that need to form around the bone to create new gum tissue. But the rinse I was given was terrific and kept my mouth feeling fresh and clean for 12 hours at a shot.

It is now five months later and I can give some kind of assessment. Immediately post opt I had very little pain - mostly just soreness. Within 3 weeks my gums looked better and were tighter around my teeth. So much gum tissue grew back that I no longer need the gum graft on the front bottom tooth. 3 of my teeth (of which that front bottom was one) are still not very tight around my gums but they don't rock like they did before. Also, that constant burning sensation in my mouth went away. That was cause by the infection in my gums. I've already had 2 cleanings since that time and after testing my dentist established that the pockets are now gone. Now, for the bad news - So much gum tissue was removed at the gum line that it left part of my roots showing on all my top front teeth and my teeth became super-sensitive. This does not happen with regular periodontal flap surgery. My dentist has since corrected the problem by bonding those areas - another expense I didn't need - but my teeth look great. My great worry is if I ever develop pockets again will it expose even more of the root than before? But, according to my Periodontitis, that is why I need to have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year for life.

Overall, I would say that if I had to do it all I would opt for the old-fashioned Periodontal Flap surgery. Though more painful it has better aesthetic results since it doesn't remove gum tissue at the gum line and it cost less.

How are you doing now? Please give us a follow-up.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
I had the surgery and needed another surgery two years later.

I would suggest a child's toothbrush extremely soft. Also you should get a prescribed toothpaste to help with sensitivity and a prescribed mouthwash. I think a little bit of looseness is norm b/c the pockets have shrunk but hopefully they will tighten up after time.

Breath - drink mint tea

You said you needed another surgery 2 years later? Did your dentist and periodontist put you on a 4 times a year teeth cleaning regime? Did you also get gum loss at the gum line?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:00 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,172 times
I had lanap laser gum surgery to all 4 quadrants just about 10 years ago. I opted to have one quadrant done at a time over the course of a year. I had no pain during or following the procedure, and obviously had great results as I still have all my teeth 10 years later, and my gums are pink and tight. My periodontist is a huge advocate of brushing with a soft brush and warm salt water solution which he says works best in disrupting the germ colonization that occurs in the mouth that contributes to periodontal disease. He also says I can avoid tooth paste all together, and to get needed fluoride use a fluoride rinse following brushing. I am also a religious flosser, and because my teeth are so tight which traps food, I have to floss a few times a day.

Good luck and wish you long term success with your laser surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health