Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
Not all dentists are "shady". I recall getting my teeth cleaned at a dentist in Colorado a few years back. She was new and located in a new strip mall type situation. She told me that I needed thousands of dollars worth of work. Right , so while checking out at the counter she came out , no other customers and was chatting with me and the receptionist , she tells us that she regrets becoming a dentist . Ok, this is not good. I'm guessing all the "work" I needed was to pay her mess of debt off because she probably wasn't making the $$ she thought she would. I found another dentist that I liked.

Nothing in this post (or the majority of posts in this thread) proves that the dentist is doing anything "shady", unethical, illegal, etc. It simply proves that people see a snapshot of life without any context, formulate their own opinions on the issue, and try to pass them off as fact. This seems to be a running concept in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:26 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Nothing in this post (or the majority of posts in this thread) proves that the dentist is doing anything "shady", unethical, illegal, etc. It simply proves that people see a snapshot of life without any context, formulate their own opinions on the issue, and try to pass them off as fact. This seems to be a running concept in this thread.
This ^ My dentist gave me quite a list of work that I needed to have done, but he took the time to explain why I needed the work; he showed me x-rays and explained what work could wait and what I should have done now. He goes out of his way to do the best possible job and has remade a crown and a bridge because he wasn't happy with them, they looked fine to me, I never would have known the difference if he had glued them in and sent me home.

All the dentists I've been to have been ethical and honest, the only ones that I don't trust are DSO's whose treatment plans seem to be primarily based on profit margin.

I think patients need to communicate better with their dentist, if you tell the dentist how much your insurance covers and how much out of pocket you can afford they will work with you to prioritize your dental treatment and postpone what can wait, but that's on the patient to bring up, not the dentist.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 AM

747 posts, read 579,800 times
I had a dentist for a very long time, and while he did good work at a discount, he worked very fast, so fast I often wondered how and why. Because I have constant problems with my teeth, all my life.
Also he took few x rays. I left him, finally.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,426,807 times
I have a wonderful dentist. He apprenticed for a year with the dentist I previously had for 30 years before taking over that dentist's practice, which meant that he was up to date on the patients and had all the same staff. It was a very seamless process. The previous dentist, who primarily lectures to other dentists around the state, still comes weekly to put in a day or two at the practice. It's been a real win-win for all involved, patients and staff alike.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I hear in Michigan, the state dental insurance will only cover a tooth to have it extracted once you are over the age of 18. No coverage for cleanings, fillings, and definitely no coverage for crowns, root canals, implants. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the state thinks it's ok if the adult population gums their food in their old age. The question is always: Do you want to eat what you want or eat what you can?
California was pretty much like that until they restored dental benefits this year. What always struck me as odd about states only giving emergency dental care is that not having teeth is the irony of them trying to save money by denying dental care for the poor, and being toothless almost ensures that they will remain jobless and on public benefits.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:48 PM

323 posts, read 221,967 times
Sure there can be many who lie and say you need extensive work done for the money, but if you're street smart you, should be able to figure out the fakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health