Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

Yikes, I went to the dentist today a new one, because we moved... it cost $540 to have the exam, x-rays (bite wing and a pan.) and a cleaning. Then I found out that I need to have 2 cracked fillings replaced (only 1 1/2 years old) the the tune of over $340 each and I need a mouth guard, another $540, pretty depressing. And then I have the issue of having 4 root canaled front lower teeth from an accident, that need to be evaluated....$$$$$$$$. I almost felt sick after leaving.
I wish they could clone teeth, ha, imagine, just pull old one and insert new one, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Yikes, I went to the dentist today a new one, because we moved... it cost $540 to have the exam, x-rays (bite wing and a pan.) and a cleaning.
You know, I truly wonder what the ratio is of "necessary procedures" vs "I just need my 2nd home in Aspen fund funded so I'm going to give you unnecessary work so I can charge more". Maybe I am being too cynical.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks Foma :-). Maybe we should have a dental issue support group. Years ago there was an article in Readers Digest, where they sent a person to 10 different dentists. He got 10 different treatment plans, from a few hundred dollars, to over $10.000! We just moved here and no one I asked was really happy with their dentist, SAD! This one seems very nice, but it is a "dental spa", ha! They do give you nice warm neck pillows, LOL.
Are you going for a second opinion? It couldn't hurt!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
lol, yes, a "dental issues support group" sounds like a new forum that should be created! You know, we just moved, too, and I actually liked my old dentist. He wasn't cheap but at least he and his staff were nice. I was just overall very disatisfied with this guy. Yes, I will be going for a 2nd opinion. Good luck to you, too!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I just bought a new pair of vise grips and pliers for work... I tell you what, I'll charge you a hundred bucks to pull the tooth.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
here is something I can't understand
I clench my teeth at night
this clenching results in cracked fillings and twice a tooth
the dentist say nightguard the insurance co say they won't pay
here's what blows my mind
they will pay the $600 to crown the tooth that the clenching cracked but they won't pay $400 to prevent this.

Hmmmm 1 $400 or many $600 I guess they didn't do the math

Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Default Moonlighting!

GCSTroop wrote:
I just bought a new pair of vise grips and pliers for work... I tell you what, I'll charge you a hundred bucks to pull the tooth.
I've been looking for some moonlighting work, and I think that dentistry offers a great opportunituy. I just bought a hammer, a nail punch, and some putty. You probably want to keep the tooth so don't waste your money on GCSTroops offer. I'll do a filling for just $99. You save a buck and you get to keep the tooth too.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Only 99 $ - that is a bargain! When can you do it?

Ha, paying $340 for a filling that is only 1 1/2 years old, that really sucks.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
foma wrote:
You know, I truly wonder what the ratio is of "necessary procedures" vs "I just need my 2nd home in Aspen fund funded so I'm going to give you unnecessary work so I can charge more". Maybe I am being too cynical.
IMO, some of your cynicism is justified.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I went to a dentist today for pain and upon reading the x-rays, I was told I need to get my tooth pulled. To get an implant and the whole works, it's going to cost me a grand total of $3500. Is this reasonable? Sounds like highway robbery to me but I have heard dental work can be pretty pricey.

Also, I have attached an x-ray of the "problem area". The dentist basically told me nothing can be done but getting the tooth extraction - not even a root canal because of the location of the cavity. Any dentists or people in the field who can confirm this?

Thanks guys ... with the Holidays approaching, spending $3500 just doesn't sound "do-able" but I don't want to deal with the pain. I guess I can just get an extraction but I don't want a "missing tooth" in my mouth! Okay, thanks again gang!

If this info is needed: it's my lower left jaw, last tooth (not wisdom).

Attachment 9447
i just got back from tiajuana. estimate was 3,200 here, it cost me 850.
good job too. please do get a 2nd opinion. often american dentists like to do implants do you really want one? there might be an alternative. sorry i cannt help with xray but i do understand how the game is played.
hope i was able to stay on target on this one.
and i hope you get your tooth fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health