Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM

131 posts, read 221,259 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I had gone to a new dental office and had a complete set of x-rays done and the dentist looked at them a long while and said I have 4 cavities. He did the cleaning and scheduled me for next week for the cavities. When I came back they gave me a new dentist and explained that they routinely rotate the dentists between patients and that I might in fact be getting a different dentist every time I come in. I've never had that before in any dental office large or small that I've gone to so that seemed strange to me. But what really got me is the 2nd dentist says instead of having 4 cavities that I have 7 and need a root canal. What do you guys think about the difference of opinions of the 2 dentists looking off the same x-rays? I know what I think, I'm not going there anymore and now looking for a new dentist.

Btw, I had that complete set of digital x-rays done exactly 90 days ago and did have 3 cavities drilled by that 2nd dentist. I'm about to go to another dental office and bring those x-rays with me. Will it matter that they're 3 months old? Will new dentist insist on taking their own new(er) x-rays? A little concerned about all that radiation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 AM

131 posts, read 221,259 times
Anybody

Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I agree with you.....I would feel uncomfortable and find a new dentist altogether.

The x-rays? I don't know if they will require new ones or not.....I don't think they should.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
Hi all,

I had gone to a new dental office and had a complete set of x-rays done and the dentist looked at them a long while and said I have 4 cavities. He did the cleaning and scheduled me for next week for the cavities. When I came back they gave me a new dentist and explained that they routinely rotate the dentists between patients and that I might in fact be getting a different dentist every time I come in. I've never had that before in any dental office large or small that I've gone to so that seemed strange to me. But what really got me is the 2nd dentist says instead of having 4 cavities that I have 7 and need a root canal. What do you guys think about the difference of opinions of the 2 dentists looking off the same x-rays? I know what I think, I'm not going there anymore and now looking for a new dentist.

Btw, I had that complete set of digital x-rays done exactly 90 days ago and did have 3 cavities drilled by that 2nd dentist. I'm about to go to another dental office and bring those x-rays with me. Will it matter that they're 3 months old? Will new dentist insist on taking their own new(er) x-rays? A little concerned about all that radiation..
So, you went to dentist 1 and was okay with his plan.
You went back to the same office and dentist 2 was going to do the work, but he said you needed a different plan that you didn't like.

You waited three months, and are now going to a different dentist, dentist 3.

During either of the first two visits, did you ask them to show you the cavities on the x-rays? Have you looked at the x-rays (you say you're bringing them with you to dentist 3 so I am assuming you already have a copy of them in your possession)?

If you weren't happy with dentist #2's diagnosis and treatment plan, why did you let him do any of the work?

To answer your questions:
1. yes, it matters if they're 3 months old, if you have work that needs done, because decay can get worse in 3 months. If it were just a few weeks it wouldn't make much difference. If your teeth were fine, then it wouldn't matter. Plus, you already had work done on three of the teeth, so now those x-rays are no longer valid. You'll need new ones.

2. I don't know what your new dentist will insist on, or not insist on. No one here knows what he will or will not insist on doing. He should require new ones, since the old ones don't reflect any of the three cavities that were already drilled and filled. If dentist #2 did a lousy job and there's still decay, or a cracked tooth from the drilling, and dentist #3 doesn't insist on an x-ray, and you don't insist on new ones, and 3 months later you have problems with the tooth, who are you going to blame for it? They shouldn't need to take a whole full set. Usually it'd be either a bitewing set, or only the ones on the teeth that had questionable health.

3. The radiation in those x-ray machines is minimal, but they should be taking precautions and covering your torso and neck with a lead-line vest and collar. That's standard procedure. Since they won't need to do a new full set, and only a partial set of up to 7 teeth, your risks are significantly reduced. Bear in mind that the risk of problems from dental x-rays exists, but is very low to begin with. There's a lot of negative hype against them simply because the risk exists. So certain groups like to emphasize the increased risk, without mentioning that the initial risk is pretty insignificant. So - if the risk increases by 100%.. that doesn't mean you have a 100% chance of getting cancer. It means the risk has doubled. And if the risk was only .0005 to start with, that means the risk is now .0010. Still less than the risk of getting skin cancer if you spend a single summer in your life, laying out in the sun.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
Hi all,

I'd go to a new dentist as well. About 17 years ago I was told that I needed 4 crowns soon. After paying for two (without dental insurance) and going through the unpleasant procedure of getting the first two, I decided to wait until it appeared really dire before getting the next two. Like I said, it's been 17 years now and no other dentist has said I needed crowns right away.

Don't know what to tell you about the x-rays and the radiation, other than take them with you and see what the new dentist says. Also tell the new dentist about what happened at the other place and gauge his/her reaction to help you decide if you'll be comfortable with any advice you get.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
You need to go to trusted dentist. This is where recommendations are highly important. I've been through this before - went to 3 different dentists and each gave me unique opinions... like the same teeth never was mentioned my more than 1 dentist. Finally went to a new one by co-worker's recommendation and it ended up I needed no work at all... Almost 8 years passed since than and the "problem teeth that needed crowns asap" still good and in place

Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP a similiar situation happened to me some years ago. So I just went to a 3rd dentist and what he told me basically was what the 1st dentist had mentioned.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Were it me, I'd do 2 things:

1) Find a new general dentist who works solo.

2) Before any root canal is done have an endodontist review that need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health