Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes I should've had it seen before now, but money for a bit was tight enough that even $185 was HUGE to have to spend, plus the pain hadn't "exploded" like this before. I have the money now, hence the appointment, but had it exploded like this earlier today, I'd immediately high-tailed it to any open dental place & probably gotten seen. What a HUGE rip-off for it to strike at NIGHT-TIME when they're closed.

Besides hating the prospect of waiting hours & hours at the ER, a person we know who is in fact a doctor at the ER has said to us in the past regarding this that they typically won't do anything anyway, so I'd likely be waiting hours for nothing. If the pain was as it was just barely 3-odd hours ago, just a little numb/sore & easily squashed for a period with OraGel or ibuprofen, it would be no big deal--as it is, it's a HUGE deal.

I guess the best I can do is take a slow cooker insert, fill it up with ice cubes, put it beside my bed & TRY to sleep, at least the ice cubes will be right there within reach & maybe I can get some "winks" in-between, and maybe I can call & they can see me earlier than 1:30 in the afternoon when I tell them it's gotten this awful.

LRH
What happened I'm in same pain except took 4 hydrocodone nothing working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
So I'm literally dealing with exactly this scenario now....doctor told me to use an ice pack on the outside of my mouth 20 on, 20 off but I found the only thing that works is putting the ice in a sandwich bag directly on the tooth.....what works for me in getting it to stop for an extended period of time is to put a small hole in the corner of the bag so that the cold water from the melting ice is going into your mouth as well, fill the sandwich bag all the way up with ice, and suck on them piece by piece until the entire bag is gone....take with about 4 ibuprofen and it should work long enough for you to sleep....PS I finally had my tooth pulled today and the pain is worse than before they pulled it....hoping I get some relief soon!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 AM

350 posts, read 416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
After you get the tooth pulled or whatever needs to happen, get a waterpik, or the waterflosser and use it with warm water and a couple capfulls of hydrogen peroxide once a day. It will make a big difference going forward.
I disagree. When the tooth is pulled you do not want to use a straw (sucking action) or a waterpic to irrigate where the tooth was pulled. You do not want to disrupt the blood clot that has formed over the pulled tooth. You will create what is known as dry socket which can result in major PAIN.

Here's a link:

Dry socket - Mayo Clinic

Hopefully some dentist can chime in about the problems with dry socket.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Pain is caused by inflammation which is caused by highly acidic tissues. (Battery Acid burns. Right?)

To stop the pain you need to stop creating acidic tissue which is the result of consuming too much acid forming food which consist of all meats all dairy all grains and legumes. The most alkalizing foods which is what you'll need to alkalize your body is raw water rich fruit like melons or apples, pears and berries and stone fruit and citrus. Also tender leafy greens and sprouts are good. Contrary to popular opinion the tough greens like Kale are not as good as they are harder to digest and assimilate by the body.

For a short term fix you can use clove oil topically. You could also swish baking soda and water around in your mouth. You could also do oil pulling.

For some great herbal remedies check out this site sponsored by the School of Natural Healing, the oldest Master Herbalist program in the country started by Dr. John R. Christopher who while a medic during WWll, was the only person in the entire army allowed to use herbs on soldiers he treated. His commanding officer gave him an "incurable" case of a man with impetigo with scabs all over his head who was going to be sent home. In two weeks Christopher had cured him much to the surprise of his commanding officer and others in the vicinity. After that, he was told he could use whatever herbs he wanted and word quickly got out and Christopher became the most sought after healer in the army. At the end of his tour he became a Master herbalist and a Naturopathic Doctor and had various practices. Later he started the school. Search results

Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've had many many years of dental work. Now here at going on 78 I haven't been to a dentist for some yrs. I keep my mouth and system alkaline for starters...using coconut oil daily for years and making my own coconut oil TP. And working with oil of oregano and clove oil and some other supps for any dental issue and I have one I've worked with for 10 yrs working to avoid mega money and dental work. Commerical mouth products contain undesirable ingredients for mouth health. Do a search on your ingredients.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I've have varying forms of tooth pain from back molars for the past 3-odd months. About 2-3 months ago a local dentist, for free, performed X-rays to show me the guilty parties, and to write a prescription for antibiotics & Xanax. As of Monday, the antibiotics ran out.

Typically as the cycle goes, it hurts a mild but annoying amount for 2-4 days, low enough level of pain that 2-3 ibuprofen typically makes it okay & then after using the antibiotics & ibuprofen for for those 2-4 days it goes away, only to come back again about 1-2 weeks later to last for 2-4 days again. It typically rotates from left-side to right side with each new "cycle" of 2-4 days. During the 1-2 weeks it's in "remission," there is no pain at all.

This time, though, it's different. I've had it for about a week now & it hasn't left. It's on the right side. Worse, tonight, it seems to have become PERMANENT. The only thing that stops it is applying a cube of ice in a sandwich bag--remove it, and within 3-5 minutes it's back. (Previously, ice would make it hurt.) I've taken 4 ibuprofen an hour ago, I keep applying OraGel, both of which typically numb it enough to move on--not tonight. Except for when the ice is applied, absolutely NOTHING stops it. And the level of pain--oh dear. It's easily at the extreme "argh!!!!!!" level. Sleep will not be happening with that level of pain. It hurts so bad it makes my ear canals hurt and all the teeth from the right-back all the way to the ones up front, even though the X-rays didn't show any problems with those.

I don't think it's "abscess," though.

Which brings me to the question I have--earlier today I FINALLY made an appointment with the dentist to actually do something. (It's a different dentist, because the one that did the free X-rays charges a whopping $185 for each tooth they pull, I'm going to Affordable Dentures where it's $80 after the $100 consultation.) I go tomorrow. The thing is, the way the pain is going tonight, the pain is going to be FULL TIME anytime I remove the ice cube for more than 5 minutes or so. At least that's how it's been for the past hour or so, it shows no sign of going away.

How am I supposed to get any sleep that way? I can't imagine driving to the dentist 14 hours from now having slept absolutely none at all the entire night, & then driving home. Is there ANYTHING I can do to make the pain "freeze frame" enough to get some sleep, if 4 ibuprofens & OraGel still haven't done it? (Neither has gargling salt water.)

Also, typically the outfits want to have you spend 2-odd weeks taking antibiotics & pain killers & then pull it later, but unless something changes, this sucker is NOT going to stop hurting until they pull it. There is absolutely no way I can go 2 weeks like this, I will flat-out die.

Tips?

Best thing I just found out I’ve had bad teeth since serving in Iraq
And I had a bad still have a bad absecess I see a oral surgeon Monday tho but I got clindamyicin and amoxicillin not and some Tylenol 3
Day one took just amoxicillin didn’t do ****
Day two ate about 7 of the Tylenol 3s extreme pain so at night said f it took my daily night time dose of amoxicillin then took a clindamycin today woke up after mind you finally sleeping and feel better I can tell thiers still some pain not bad at all I feel like when u mix the two antibiotics they work harder to kill off the infection but instant relief I fell asleep last night for first time with no water cold water sitting in my mouth like I used to have to do don’t get me wrong it will hurt like hell for first night but after that night ur goood
Don’t use oragel tho **** doesn’t work waste of money nor does any other product I’ve bought all and tried all I have found tho that to relive some pain take 4 ib pro and two Advil duel action if you can’t get anything else and or if ur state allows Kratom take 10 kratom capsols with said above it’ll alienate a lot and use freezer cold water in ur mouth it’ll hurt like hell for few seconds then you’ll be numb and can at least move around etc anyways for anyone having severe tooth pain I hope this helps you it helped me the mixture of anitigiotics work great as amoxicillin for some reason doesn’t work by itself today tho from doing all the pills and meds my tummy’s upset I feel sick but at least I can say I don’t need to carry a cold water bottle with me to hold in my mouth constantly today yayy

Old 08-21-2021, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 797 times
But ya go on tele health or any online doc get amoxicillin then tell them it didn’t work and they’ll get you clindamycin what it is is the abscess you have is like mine resistant to amoxicillin no to a point and or it killed the root etc so the antibiotics they gave u won’t reach it good enough it’s a absecess tho for sure so ya clindamycin reaches bacteria quick thru other ways then blood from studies I read so it works fantastic

Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
All i will add is that OP wasted a lot of time dentist hopping. I hope he’s learned a lesson about taking better care of his dental health.

I would never let it get so bad that I would have a tooth pulled if it could be saved, and it can always be saved if treated early. As long as I have a credit card, my dental issues will be fixed right away.

It’s penny wise and pound foolish to ignore the small inexpensive things, so they turn into big expensive things.

We are retired and lost our dental insurance this year. Wouldn’t you know it, an old crown broke and had to be replaced. $1500. is a lot of money to us, but we’ll put it on a card, get cash back, and deal with it over a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health