Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times

Advertisements

I have all four of my wisdom teeth (all four are fully erupted) and was referred to the local oral surgery clinic here to have them removed. Problem is they won't do anything except general anesthesia to remove them and I don't really want to go under it. They quoted me $1,100 to remove all four wisdoms and around $500 for the anesthesia. I asked if they offered nitrous oxide and they told me that they don't. I had to cancel the appointment for unrelated reasons (I couldn't get time off from work) but am debated whether I should go through with it or not. I'm not debating whether the wisdoms should come out (they are bothering me) but I don't want to go under any procedures I don't need. Has anyone else ran into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Find another Dentist or Oral Surgeon to yank them out without general. Unless the roots of those wisdom are wrapped around nerves, then it shouldn't be that big of an issue to yank them with local. So get a second opinion….

Old 03-01-2014, 04:58 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled when I was in my late 20s. They were both badly impacted -- it took something like an hour to get one out and 45 minutes for the other (ugh!!). But this did NOT require general anesthesia.

A few months later (I had to wait until after January, when the next year's dental insurance kicked in), I had my bottom two wisdom teeth pulled. Those ones took literally 5 minutes each -- I'd been expecting the worst but it was a cinch! Needless to say I did not have general anesthesia for them either.

Maybe your wisdom teeth are all REALLY impacted or infected or something? I can't figure out why you'd need general anesthesia. Get another opinion, and good luck!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM

30,250 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Last year, February exactly, I finally realized that one of my wisdom teeth had to be pulled. I'm not in my 20s.

All I got was the numbing gel first, then a shot, then the dentist went in there and started yanking around. It was so far back there that she was having a hard time reaching it. I got to hear a bunch of grinding sounds that I'd prefer not to have to hear again. Anyway, whole process took just about two minutes, once the shot got going.

If you have to get them surgically removed, then you'll get more than a shot, but do you really want to be all loopy like those kids you see on YouTube?

When you do get them done, do not drink anything through a straw, don't smoke, (if you do), and don't do a lot of swishing around in your mouth with water or anything else, don't go spitting left and right no matter how "gross" it feels to you because if you think getting your wisdom teeth out is bad, you'll hate life if you get dry socket. Follow what the dentist tells you after all is said and done. In about a week, you should not have to worry about dry socket but I've heard and read stories: dry socket will make you wish you would die.

Edit: Forgot to mention, for erupted teeth, $1100 sounds awfully high. Definitely get some other opinions.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Any general dentist should be well qualified to extract fully erupted teeth. You should not need general anesthesia.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
When I had 2 extractions the dentist gave me sodium pentothal and when I woke up I felt no pain and left with a big grin on my face. Wife said while I was out I had some colorful things to say...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
Thank you for the replies. I had a feeling something didn't feel right here. The staff at this clinic seem nice but of course that always doesn't fill you in on everything. I also felt that $1,100 seemed awfully high to me for just the teeth so thanks for the heads up, Three Wolves!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
I had mine, also fully erupted, done by an oral surgeon but with local only; took less than 10 minutes per tooth, I was actually shocked it was over so quickly as I've read horror stories and was expecting a long gory torture, lol. No way I'd do general for this, especially since you can have bad effects coming out from it, including vomiting which would NOT be fun after tooth extraction...

Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Nope, it can usually be done under a local. (That's how I had mine removed). It's pretty quick. I'll admit, some of the sounds you hear aren't the most fun but it's nothing you can't handle. If you're nervous about hearing sounds, ask if you can bring an iPod or something and listen to some music. It helps.

I know a lot of people choose to have oral or IV sedation so that they're really groggy or under 'conscious sedation', but I really hate the way that makes me feel. Plus, I like knowing that I can clearly communicate I'm feeling any pain if I'm only numbed with a local. I have a fear that if I'm sedated, I might feel pain but not be able to communicate this -- that actually happened to me once.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
In my 20's ( years back) I was scheduled for 2 wisdom teeth removed and chose the option of being put out. However, when I got there they checked my heartbeat and said I had to get clearance from my doctor.

I told them to go ahead with local anesthesia and they removed the 2.

In November of 2010, I had all my teeth pulled plus 2 remaining wisdom. Local anesthesia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health