Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM

201 posts, read 1,003,948 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know that pediatric dental practices provide a more child-friendly environment than a general/family dentist does. But I've heard that pediatric dentists are more likely than general/family dentists to push dental work (such as crowns) on their child patients. Is there any truth to that? Or could it just vary by dentist regardless of pediatric vs general? If it is true that pediatric dentists are more likely than general dentists to suggest dental procedures for young children, is it possibly due to the greater experience of pediatric dentists to notice issues in young children's teeth and know how to treat them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
Ok, so I know that pediatric dental practices provide a more child-friendly environment than a general/family dentist does. But I've heard that pediatric dentists are more likely than general/family dentists to push dental work (such as crowns) on their child patients. Is there any truth to that? Or could it just vary by dentist regardless of pediatric vs general? If it is true that pediatric dentists are more likely than general dentists to suggest dental procedures for young children, is it possibly due to the greater experience of pediatric dentists to notice issues in young children's teeth and know how to treat them?

I've never heard of Pediatric Dentists doing anything of the kind. If any dental procedure is recommended by any dentist than the reason should be fully explained by the dentist & backed-up with x-rays, etc. If you have any doubts than get a second opinion from another dentist.

Our son saw a Pediatric Dentist when he was young. It was a great experience. They know how to make the dental office feel safe for the child.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 AM

26 posts, read 108,168 times
A pediatric dentist is trained to care for children. So, I would like to prefer a pediatric dentist rather than a general dentist for your child.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
There are dentists that provide both the services at the same place. They have a special team that takes care of kids dental issues. My son lost a tooth while playing when he fell down from the swing. We took him to Dr. Stephen Phelan in Oakville as advised by my neighbor and got his implants done. It was great and we were really happy with the environment there. More importantly my son was taken care of exceptionally well.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:22 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
I am a dentist and I take my kids to pediatric dentists. They should be applauded for putting up with behavior nobody else (including me) will tolerate.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:07 AM

108 posts, read 146,680 times
I recommended you to choose a pediatric dentist..........!!!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
I have a strong vote for pedodontists. Not only do they have experience treating all kinds of children of all ages but they probably like children as well. My mother took me to a pedodontist until I was 16 and my size 36 hips no longer fit into the chair--I really liked that dentist. I took my son to a pedodontist too and so glad I did because I credit him for my son ending up with beautiful, strong teeth as an adult.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:47 AM

83 posts, read 104,527 times
A Pediatric dental practices are a superb choice in my opinion because they are comfortable dealing with kids of all ages, even the very young ones who may be scared of a dentist visit. The facilities are set up for only kids.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
daughter took her child to a pediatric dentist, she was very rough and didn't seem at all to understand the fear and anxiety of her young patient. Instead of waiting 4 months for the work to be done she went to a regular dentist who did the work right away. He used nitrous oxide and a relaxant and the child came through it just fine.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I LOVE my kids' pediatric dental office. My son needed dental work when he was a toddler and, yes, it was needed. My pediatric dentist worked in tandem with my pediatrician and my son had a pain free experience and we were able to avoid general anesthesia.

I would suggest interviewing pediatric dentists. There is one in my town who routinely straps kids down. I completely disagree with this practice. I also insisted on being in the room.

My pediatric dentist has never needed to strap kids down. He and his staff can handle kids (and their parents, I might add) like nobody's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health