Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:56 AM

838 posts, read 565,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Curious...doesn't the cost of traveling overseas added to the cost of the procedure being done there make it as expensive as getting it done in the US? Unless you travel for free somehow.
Yes as explained a few pages ago the $5317 figure includes the Flight Tickets LAX to Bangkok ($567) RT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Interesting - just wondering why you say that? The sinus lifting/bone grafting procedure has been around for decades and is a proven safe and effective technique when done properly. It is extremely predictable when your goal is to gain bone height for dental implant placement. No other technique is even close.

Most people hear the word "sinus" and the word "lift" and they think it's this crazy, life-risking procedure akin to brain surgery. This is simply not true. Is it technique-sensitive? Of course. Find a good surgeon. I have done lots of them and almost all patients are surprised at how easy the procedure was (for them).

If I were missing a tooth and I was given the choice of a sinus lift and an implant vs grinding down each tooth on either side for a bridge, I would choose the sinus lift and implant without thinking twice. This is speaking as a dentist who is fully aware of the risks, benefits, costs, etc. that go with each option.

Different strokes for different folks, though.

If I was a carpenter I'd build a house rather than buy one too. But I'm not willing to risk sinus tears or other problems. I don't consider drilling through sinus bone to be "minimally invasive". If you've never had sinus problems count yourself as very fortunate. I have, and I'd rather have a bridge than risk additional ones by having someone bust through my sinus bones. YMMV. Complications may be uncommon but I don't want to be the one who gets them.

This is good reading for anyone considering implants and/or lifts.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/18432.pdf

Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 AM

UPDATE: So i just realized i never updated this thread, After almost 8 months of research i decided to go to Mexico for my dental work in March 2018. Visited Los Algodones also known as 'Molar City' stayed there for 4-days, spent the better half of a day hopping from clinic to clinic asking questions and getting evaluated - I'll be honest i seen some clinics that have no business being opened so becareful.

By the end of that day i had finally found a great candidate for my procedures, I booked an appointment for the next day and before i knew it i was sedated and having 2 root canals done. Prior to starting the procedure it was determined that i still had an infection and the doctor recommended for me to leave and comeback in two-weeks, I disagreed and decided to still go through with the work despite the risk of infection since i had already come so far so we proceeded with both root-canals and posts & core.

On Day 3 i had a (4) extractions done, (2) of which were impacted; they also took crown impressions and i got a basic cleaning done along with some filling on a chipped tooth.

Day 4 Crowns were ready for fitment and i was placed on a dietary restriction for a week, Ended up driving back home to NV that same day.

Procedures / Expenses totaling - $745USD (not incld hotel $30/day and car rental $40/day for a stay of 4 days)

4 - Extraction / 2 Impacted
2 - Posts
2 - Pocelain Crowns
2 - Root Canals
X-Rays
Dental Cleaning
Medication - Anti-Inflam & Ibuprofen 850.

Overall it was an awesome experience and my only regret is not having it done sooner, I know we often hear horror stories but if you do your due diligence you can avoid shady doctors. I still plan to go back for a few implants within the next several months, I suffered for so long with my teeth and i'm glad that i'm finally able to do things i wasn't able to ie; eat granola/peanuts, steak etc. and got rid of what felt like permanent bad breath.

I encourage anyone who is in the same position i once was to get it taken care of right-away, I was quoted over $5000 for this work in the US and got it done in MX for under $800, same quality/excellent doctor... totally worth it. I know i'll probably get PM's asking about the doctor if you're interested i can forward the contact.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 AM

608 posts, read 515,597 times
Congrats to you. I am still quite happy with the work I had done in Costa Rica. I hadn't been to a Dentist after my work was done until this last November when I needed to have my Aortic Valve replaced. My Surgeon had me go to one to make sure I had no Dental infection because it couldn't be done if I did. Everything was fine, and he said my dental work looked well done. No complaints here.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:32 PM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
UPDATE: So i just realized i never updated this thread, After almost 8 months of research i decided to go to Mexico for my dental work in March 2018. Visited Los Algodones also known as 'Molar City' stayed there for 4-days, spent the better half of a day hopping from clinic to clinic asking questions and getting evaluated - I'll be honest i seen some clinics that have no business being opened so becareful.

By the end of that day i had finally found a great candidate for my procedures, I booked an appointment for the next day and before i knew it i was sedated and having 2 root canals done. Prior to starting the procedure it was determined that i still had an infection and the doctor recommended for me to leave and comeback in two-weeks, I disagreed and decided to still go through with the work despite the risk of infection since i had already come so far so we proceeded with both root-canals and posts & core.

On Day 3 i had a (4) extractions done, (2) of which were impacted; they also took crown impressions and i got a basic cleaning done along with some filling on a chipped tooth.

Day 4 Crowns were ready for fitment and i was placed on a dietary restriction for a week, Ended up driving back home to NV that same day.

Procedures / Expenses totaling - $745USD (not incld hotel $30/day and car rental $40/day for a stay of 4 days)

4 - Extraction / 2 Impacted
2 - Posts
2 - Pocelain Crowns
2 - Root Canals
X-Rays
Dental Cleaning
Medication - Anti-Inflam & Ibuprofen 850.

Overall it was an awesome experience and my only regret is not having it done sooner, I know we often hear horror stories but if you do your due diligence you can avoid shady doctors. I still plan to go back for a few implants within the next several months, I suffered for so long with my teeth and i'm glad that i'm finally able to do things i wasn't able to ie; eat granola/peanuts, steak etc. and got rid of what felt like permanent bad breath.

I encourage anyone who is in the same position i once was to get it taken care of right-away, I was quoted over $5000 for this work in the US and got it done in MX for under $800, same quality/excellent doctor... totally worth it. I know i'll probably get PM's asking about the doctor if you're interested i can forward the contact.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know it is the same quality?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you know it is the same quality?
Had the work evaluated (covered by insurance) by a local dentist in Las Vegas just to double-check everything was good, The dentist actually complimented the MX doctor. I also had a lengthy conversation with the dentist since i also plan on having an implant done, went over their equipment & abutments used and they use the SAME products that US dentist use.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:34 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Had the work evaluated (covered by insurance) by a local dentist in Las Vegas just to double-check everything was good, The dentist actually complimented the MX doctor. I also had a lengthy conversation with the dentist since i also plan on having an implant done, went over their equipment & abutments used and they use the SAME products that US dentist use.
Nice to hear. Just to play devil's advocate - what would you have done if the Vegas dentist had said the work was poor quality or below standard of care? I ask because that is the scenario I see about 90% of the time when evaluating work from Mexico. In the U.S., the patient has recourse for substandard dental work. Not so in Mexico.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Nice to hear. Just to play devil's advocate - what would you have done if the Vegas dentist had said the work was poor quality or below standard of care? I ask because that is the scenario I see about 90% of the time when evaluating work from Mexico. In the U.S., the patient has recourse for substandard dental work. Not so in Mexico.
In that case i would've asked for the work to be re-done or have my money-back and had it done elsewhere, What most foreigners who run into issues don't realize is that there IS a legal recourse also if they run into a similar issue they can always contact the MX board of certified dentist and/or take legal action.

Most of these practices have more to lose as their bread & butter is tourism and too many complaints can actually have their business shutdown and the dentist can be investigated. I've heard many horror stories and usually what i notice is that there was poor research done or the patient didn't ask any of the right questions.

This was part of the reason i spent many months researching, I wanted to have all of my 'what ifs..' covered and be sure of what to do in a worst case scenario.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
The challenge is that most people don't know what good dentistry is. All they know is did it hurt and does it look good.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 280 times
I recommend you Confidental Studio dental Clinic in Dominican Republic
State of the art office, great team of dentists and located in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health