Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Seriously doubt that you are a dentist.
Fine by me. I am not a dentist then. It doesn't change the truth of my statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
I am a dentist. I get patients all the time who haven't seen a dentist since forever. When I asked why they haven't been to the dentist in so long, the answer was always "I didn't have dental insurance". It's all about value. People will spend money on something if they value it. Everyday I see people in long lines waiting for $8 lattes and $5 muffins but they won't get a dental cleaning if they have to pay anything for it. Whatever, I guess. It's not my mouth.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am a dentist. I get patients all the time who haven't seen a dentist since forever. When I asked why they haven't been to the dentist in so long, the answer was always "I didn't have dental insurance". It's all about value. People will spend money on something if they value it. Everyday I see people in long lines waiting for $8 lattes and $5 muffins but they won't get a dental cleaning if they have to pay anything for it. Whatever, I guess. It's not my mouth.
Preach it my friend. We are the ones trying to help people stay healthy but I have no reason to care about a patient's teeth more than they do. Oh wait, I'm not a dentist so nevermind...

Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
I was told I would need a "deep cleansing" procedure periodically for years to come. I was suspicious, so I went to a Peridontist, and he told me that these folks were running a scam- there was nothing wrong with my teeth or gums. I knew other people referred to the same place where I work, and they were ALL told the same thing!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Hi.. You made a clever decision by seeking a second opinion. I did my dental crown procedure in Sierra Dental, Calgary. I am happy with their service and did not face any discomfort after that. I have consulted nearly 3 dentists before undergoing a treatment.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
How would you find an honest dentist anyway? I'm just disgusted with the dishonesty in the dental profession.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 AM

350 posts, read 415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post

So you are equating the people waiting in line for an $8 latte and $5 muffin with those who "haven't seen a dentist since forever."

At least the coffee shop displays their prices and you don't have to pay $100 to find out how much the latte will cost.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
I've had problem teeth my whole life. Many times I was too financially limited to spend $1000 on a root canal and when I did have money, it was too late (i.e., needed extraction). So, as a circumstance, I am missing quite a few teeth (6 to be exact) but do have caps on 3 others.

I went to a new dentist (she actually took over my old dentist's practice) and I enquired about partials or bridges where viable. She informed that most of my teeth could not be salvaged, that my crowns were ready to fall out, and even the good teeth I had were destined to rot in the next few years. She suggested removing them all, getting either a mouth full of implants (hmmm 24 teeth x $3000 = $72000) or a few implants as anchors and partials. But, she wanted to do a deep cleaning first. What!!???

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
So you are equating the people waiting in line for an $8 latte and $5 muffin with those who "haven't seen a dentist since forever."

At least the coffee shop displays their prices and you don't have to pay $100 to find out how much the latte will cost.
Read the post again. The point is that if you place value on something (like coffee), then you will gladly pay for it. If you place no value on something (cleanings or in your case apparently dental examinations), then any price is too high.

The coffee shop can display their prices because 1) A latte is a commodity that is made the same way for everyone 2) They have only one price list. A dentist does not know what type of cleaning you need (coronal polishing, full-mouth debridement, scaling and root planing, etc.) until they do an examination (visually and radiographically). Also, a dentist who is in-network with multiple insurance companies has several different fee schedules they are contracted with. Let's say you and your friend both need the exact same type of cleaning, but you have Delta Dental and your friend has Metlife. The fee for the same type of cleaning will be different because the two insurance companies have set different fees for the same procedure.

Most dental offices will give you a range of fees for a given procedure if you call and ask, but there is no way of knowing exactly how much your treatment will be until you are examined.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've had problem teeth my whole life. Many times I was too financially limited to spend $1000 on a root canal and when I did have money, it was too late (i.e., needed extraction). So, as a circumstance, I am missing quite a few teeth (6 to be exact) but do have caps on 3 others.

I went to a new dentist (she actually took over my old dentist's practice) and I enquired about partials or bridges where viable. She informed that most of my teeth could not be salvaged, that my crowns were ready to fall out, and even the good teeth I had were destined to rot in the next few years. She suggested removing them all, getting either a mouth full of implants (hmmm 24 teeth x $3000 = $72000) or a few implants as anchors and partials. But, she wanted to do a deep cleaning first. What!!???

You do not need an implant for each missing tooth. You can have a full-set of non-removable teeth anchored in by as few as four implants per jaw.

If you go the partial route, then a deep cleaning for the teeth you are trying to save makes sense. If you are going to have all the teeth removed, skip the deep cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health