Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeradio1 View Post
I am in NC and have never had any luck finding a dentist who doesn't want to irradiate me so I can have tartar removed.I think it has been over 20 years since I had a cavity, so all those x-rays have yielded no gain for me. Gain for the dentist? Definitely. X-ray equipment is expensive and the dentist doesn't want to have that bill to pay for years to come.
Last few times I went for cleaning I started refusing xrays, then subsequent visits, they had me sign waivers which I did, but now I don't even visit dentists as I've changed so much about what I put in my mouth and also the toothpaste I make up. I am 80 and did my time in many dental chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I agree. I don't want my dentist to be able to pay his bills and afford modern state of the art equipment. Like you, I prefer my dentist to practice in the dark ages. My dentist washes his gloves to re-use them which means he is not wasting my money on buying new gloves.
Is that true Dr. Toofache, or pulling our leg?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I am only letting them do x-rays every other year now. They have never found anything with their x-rays in all the years I have been having them..... And I am no spring chicken.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM

20 posts, read 28,891 times
I try to avoid x-rays as long as possible. Doctors do cleaning with no x-rays.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:18 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeradio1 View Post
I am in NC and have never had any luck finding a dentist who doesn't want to irradiate me so I can have tartar removed. The common denominator in this scenario is you - YOU are the problem, not the dentists. I think it has been over 20 years since I had a cavity, so all those x-rays have yielded no gain for me. X-rays are used to detect more than just cavities, doctor. Gain for the dentist? Definitely. X-ray equipment is expensive and the dentist doesn't want to have that bill to pay for years to come. On average, an insurance company pays me about $40 for a set of bitewing x-rays, which most patients get once a year, so in 20 years I would have received $800 from taking x-rays on you. My sensor that is needed to take x-rays costs >$10,000 and sure as heck won't last 20 years. Yep, all us greedy dentists are making a killing off these x-rays.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
What is it with people who refuse dental x-rays? Do you think you will glow in the dark or what, do you also refuse to fly?

Quote:
Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs) XrayRisk.com : FAQ

Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
People refuse blood transfusions (mostly Jehovah Witness, but others too).. Does the surgeon refuse to do their surgery? No. They have patient sign a wavier.
Would a car mechanic refuse to change your oil if you don't agree to replace your bald tires? No.
Dentists should jump down from their ego, offer patients services and accept patient's choice. I bet they'd come out ahead financially with repeat customers.
There's a difference between refusing treatment versus refusing diagnostics. X-rays are used by the dentist to as a diagnostic aid to evaluate the state of your gums/bone and determine what type of cleaning (treatment) you need. In your above example, you can certainly refuse a repair recommendation made by your mechanic. What you can't do, however, is demand that they repair your car without letting them look at it first to see what needs to be done.

It has nothing to do with ego - it is about liability. Dentists spend a lot of time and money to get their license, and they are not about to jeopardize that just because some patient wants them to do their job below the standard of care so the patient can save a few bucks or has some irrational fear of dental x-ray radiation. Sure you may find a few dentists willing to do that and have you sign some BS waiver which any decent lawyer will beat if it ever ends up in court - they are also the same ones who usually waive co-pays (read: commit insurance fraud) so I'm sure they are practicing to the standard of care in all aspects of dentistry .

Your comment about repeat customers is laughable. I am willing to bet most of the ones on this forum who tout about refusing x-rays for years have been through multiple dentists over the years. Why do you think that is? It's because no dentist wants a practice full of people like that. They are happy to show you the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health