Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times

Advertisements

I've got two kids, ages 11 and 13. I'd love for them to be on a regular schedule for dental visits (and maybe ortho), but they both have trouble with gagging...leading to vomiting, even...during any dental work. It's unpleasant and embarrassing for everyone involved. Thankfully, they seem to have inherited "good teeth" so we haven't had any dental problems, but we all (even they) agree that they can't go indefinitely without preventative care.

Without going into great detail just now (unless you want me to), do you have any suggestions as to how to make this experience more palatable () for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
What has the dentist suggested? I'm sure this isn't the first time they've had to deal with it.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What has the dentist suggested? I'm sure this isn't the first time they've had to deal with it.
You would think so...and the dentist is a pediatric dentist. The hygienist doing their cleanings also seemed to think it was weird.

The only thing the dentist suggested "for next time" was to make an early appointment and bring them in before they've had anything to eat or drink. I can see where that would minimize what might come up, but it doesn't address the problem. I was hoping someone here would have a more practical suggestion or two. Certainly my kids aren't the only ones who have ever experienced this...???

Old 11-13-2019, 05:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Do they gag & vomit in other situations? taking pills? eating new foods/specific foods? drinking carbonated drinks? when the doctor has them open their mouth and say "ahhh"? In stressful situations? If they overeat? ???

I would discuss this with their pediatrician. If she doesn't have any suggestions you may need to see a GI doctor, especially if they gag in other situations. It may be some type of throat or tonsil issue. Or it could be a stress issue. Or a psychological issue. Or sensitivity/texture issue. Or related to that specific dentist/hygienist. Or something completely different.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
You would think so...and the dentist is a pediatric dentist. The hygienist doing their cleanings also seemed to think it was weird.

The only thing the dentist suggested "for next time" was to make an early appointment and bring them in before they've had anything to eat or drink. I can see where that would minimize what might come up, but it doesn't address the problem. I was hoping someone here would have a more practical suggestion or two. Certainly my kids aren't the only ones who have ever experienced this...???

I searched Google and found lots of articles about gag reflex and dental work. There are things that the dentist can do to help, including using a spray to numb the area that triggers the gag reflex, and allowing the patient to sit upright in the dental chair rather than reclining. Lots of other tips also.

https://www.brigliadentalgroup.com/b...entists-chair/

https://patch.com/illinois/downersgr...-visits-easier

If your dentist cannot help, than try calling around to other dentists that may know more about this problem.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:48 PM

Thank you so much, daliowa...those articles are very helpful!

Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Thank you so much, daliowa...those articles are very helpful!

You're welcome. Another thought, there are dentists that specialize in fearful patients. A dentist like that should have more patience, and know how to make the patient more comfortable.

Let us know how things turn out.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:37 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
My daughter had the same problem but y dentist was very patient and laughed aloud to make my daughter comfortable and less embarrassed. He suggested for her not to eat anything 4 hours before her appointment and this helped a lot. She still felt gagging but did not threw up after that. She has to go for regular sessions for braces and this really helped.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
My daughter had the same problem but y dentist was very patient and laughed aloud to make my daughter comfortable and less embarrassed. He suggested for her not to eat anything 4 hours before her appointment and this helped a lot. She still felt gagging but did not threw up after that. She has to go for regular sessions for braces and this really helped.
Thanks for sharing this! Glad to hear that not eating ahead of time was a help. We'll definitely try that along with some of the other ideas I got from the links posted above. We're approaching needing braces here as well, so that's been on my mind.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:15 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
I have the same issue; gagging, not vomiting. I just need to also swallow a lot.
Maybe taking breaks often? I don't know why I do it but I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health