Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,945 times

Advertisements

The pain, OMG, the pain. I had a root canal about 4 years ago on tooth 14 and have been on a slew of antibiotics ever since. The pain would subside for a bit, but never really go away. It would throb at night and certain sticky foods would make it hurt like a mofo. I decided to see a new endodontist for the retreatment. I thought he was just going to go in and clean things up and re-fill it. The tooth has a fairly new crown on it (the gums swelled so much before the first root canal that it popped off the crown.) Instead, he went in, found a crack in the natural tooth that was leading into one of the canals. He told me this would mean I would need to get it extracted and get an implant. But instead he drilled out the crack, filled all of the canals with a septic/medicine, and put a temporary filling back in to let it sit for 6 weeks. It hurts so much worse now than it did before - I can hardly stand it! I screamed in pain when a rogue pea got over in that side of my mouth today. It throbs day and night. My cheek is even sensitive to touch. I had that part of retreatment done just 3 days ago. I didn't expect to be pain free immediately (well, actually I thought they would just repair the root canal and I'd be done and nearly pain free!) but I definitely didn't expect to be in MORE pain than before.

Experience with a two-part retreat? How long does the pain last after part 1? I am not sure I am going to make it 6 weeks.

I am super worried that I am going to do all of this and still have to get the tooth extracted and get an implant. It would be like being in labor for a week and then having a C-section after all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 07:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,037 times
Get it yanked, nothing else will work. If it's not a front tooth and you don't have the money, don't bother getting an implant, just leave a gap.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 364Days View Post
The pain, OMG, the pain. I had a root canal about 4 years ago on tooth 14 and have been on a slew of antibiotics ever since. The pain would subside for a bit, but never really go away. It would throb at night and certain sticky foods would make it hurt like a mofo. I decided to see a new endodontist for the retreatment. I thought he was just going to go in and clean things up and re-fill it. The tooth has a fairly new crown on it (the gums swelled so much before the first root canal that it popped off the crown.) Instead, he went in, found a crack in the natural tooth that was leading into one of the canals. He told me this would mean I would need to get it extracted and get an implant. But instead he drilled out the crack, filled all of the canals with a septic/medicine, and put a temporary filling back in to let it sit for 6 weeks. It hurts so much worse now than it did before - I can hardly stand it! I screamed in pain when a rogue pea got over in that side of my mouth today. It throbs day and night. My cheek is even sensitive to touch. I had that part of retreatment done just 3 days ago. I didn't expect to be pain free immediately (well, actually I thought they would just repair the root canal and I'd be done and nearly pain free!) but I definitely didn't expect to be in MORE pain than before.

Experience with a two-part retreat? How long does the pain last after part 1? I am not sure I am going to make it 6 weeks.

I am super worried that I am going to do all of this and still have to get the tooth extracted and get an implant. It would be like being in labor for a week and then having a C-section after all of it.
You shouldn't have to be in that much pain for any length of time. And as I see it severe pain is an indication that something isn't right. Both my husband and I each had intolerable pain during the process of a two or three part root canal, and went back to our dentists to get help. What they explained to us is that some of the bacteria that cause the infections (abscesses in both our cases, maybe yours as well) produce gas as a by product of their metabolism. If the area of infection is sealed off
(by fillings in cracks, canals, covering by temporary fillings, etc) so that the gas cannot escape to the atmosphere, the gas builds up in and near the pocket of infection. This causes pressure on the tissues and nerves in that area, causing pain. As the amount of gas increases, the pressure and pain intensify.

I'm not sure exactly what the dentists did to alleviate this, but it had the effect of relieving the pressure and pain somewhat till the root canal could be completed. Maybe they drilled a small hole or something in one of the filled areas, fillings, (or the tooth??) to allow that gas to escape. It was a bit of a relief, whatever they did. Though we didn't have to wait for six weeks to have the root canal completed.

I had intense pain from an abscess under a tooth on which I had a root canal. That pain really didn't improve until I had the root canal, though it was still painful afterwards as well. IIRC it took about a week afterwards for me to feel human again.

I can't say that for sure it's trapped gas from the bacteria causing your infection that is responsible for the pain, but IMO your endodontist should be able to help you out with that pain.

I don't know what, or if you've gotten in the way of pain meds for that tooth, but in any case I found that Oragel helped a bit in taking a bit of the edge off the pain. I also took Motrin around the clock, with Motrin PM to help me sleep at night. Didn't take the pain entirely away, but helped somewhat. Though that kind of pain certainly justifies using some narcotic type pain relief, I didn't take it because that stuff makes me sick sick sick. Though I probably would have had I not known narcotic meds would make me intensely nauseated and tossing every cookie I had eaten in the previous month.

Anyhow, check in with your endodontist. And best of luck with that tooth.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:05 PM

Thank you both for the feedback. The endodontist told me on the day of the procedure that it would hurt worse than it had since he'd been in there drilling and poking, but to stay on the Tylenol/ibuprofen combo as needed. Well, I was maxing the OTC meds out (overdoing it, actually) and still not even touching the pain. I am walking around with my finger shoved in my gumline to try to apply pressure - looking like an idiot. I expected pain, but this unbearable - can't think about anything else - kind of pain was not doable. I talked myself out of calling him sooner thinking this is what he meant when he said the pain would be worse initially. I called him today and he started me on Clindamycin and gave me Tylenol w Codeine 3. I have two doses down, and still isn't touching the pain. Hoping for sleep tonight. I really just want this tooth removed... I fear this is my life until it's gone.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:59 AM

233 posts, read 155,218 times
Default root canal

Quote:

I was suckered into a cpl root canals not knowing how unhealthy they are, after I had my stroke and told a friend, she was a retired holistic dentist, and she told me, she didn't know of any stroke victims who also didn't have serious dental issues, so I got a CAT scan of my mouth, and there it was, root canals that had to come out, and a cpl leaking amalgams , so I got a holistic dentist, and had them removed as well as the amalgams, and they were replaced with composites.....so I reco getting a consultation with a holistic dentist, they are like detectives, and are good at what they do.....use Yelp dot com to search for one in your zipcode, even the pain meds they use will blow your mind....best wishes

k

Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:

Dentist here. I am confused - if the endodontist told you that the tooth needed to be extracted, why would he/she put a temporary filling in and let it sit for 6 weeks? What are they hoping to accomplish? Why not send you right over to the oral surgeon the minute the crack was identified? I suppose there could be concerns of the surgeon achieving profound anesthesia on a "hot tooth" but that is really for the surgeon to decide.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
I was suckered into a cpl root canals not knowing how unhealthy they are, after I had my stroke and told a friend, she was a retired holistic dentist, and she told me, she didn't know of any stroke victims who also didn't have serious dental issues, so I got a CAT scan of my mouth, and there it was, root canals that had to come out, and a cpl leaking amalgams , so I got a holistic dentist, and had them removed as well as the amalgams, and they were replaced with composites.....so I reco getting a consultation with a holistic dentist, they are like detectives, and are good at what they do.....use Yelp dot com to search for one in your zipcode, even the pain meds they use will blow your mind....best wishes

k
So you were "suckered" into root canals, but you don't feel like you were suckered into having root canal treated-teeth removed along with all your amalgam fillings just because a single dentist told you she personally didn't know of any stroke victims who also didn't have dental issues and provided no scientific evidence to support her claim? OK.

On a side note, everyone on my street has Bermuda grass on their lawns. We have never had a tiger roaming on our street. Therefore, I highly recommend you pay me to rip up your lawn and re-seed it with Bermuda grass ASAP lest you want to be the victim of a tiger attack.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Dentist here. I am confused - if the endodontist told you that the tooth needed to be extracted, why would he/she put a temporary filling in and let it sit for 6 weeks? What are they hoping to accomplish? Why not send you right over to the oral surgeon the minute the crack was identified? I suppose there could be concerns of the surgeon achieving profound anesthesia on a "hot tooth" but that is really for the surgeon to decide.
Hi Bart, I also was confused. He told me if he drilled into the crown and found a crack that he would stop, seal it up and send me to my dentist to complete a plan for an extraction and implant. However, when he got in there and actually found a crack leading into one of the canals, he drilled it out and filled it with meds. He said that the natural tooth was cracked into a canal, so he made a second hole there, and now one of my holes looks like a figure 8. All are filled with meds and I feel like I am dying.

He did call in Clindamycin and Tylenol with Codeine 3, so I am slightly better. I mean, I can close my mouth today, so that's a bonus. Yesterday I could only suck on ice chips all day long. This is the second endodontist I've been to, and he has the better reputation in our area (of which we don't have many choices, sadly).

I don't know why he tried this when he said he'd do the exact opposite. I also don't know if I will make it six weeks, or beyond. Do you use these two part retreatments? He says that they are 75-80% effective, but I am not a fan thus far.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post

k
How old were these amalgams? They don't last forever no matter who does them. If/when they show signs of failure they are often replaced with composites...by unwashed run of the mill non-holistic dentists. What your stroke had to do with anything couldn't say. If you had damaged, inflamed, infected teeth and didn't get them taken care of (by having root canals done when they were indicated) that alone can increase your risk for a stroke. However, no one here knows what other stroke risk factors you also had. High BP, smoking, etc. You didn't bother to mention that.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
Quote:

Hello. I know this is old but was curious what the outcome of all this was? I’m currently going through something similar as far as completing the first part of my retreatment and now being in excruciating pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health