Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 04:38 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times

Advertisements

Lately, I saw posts on my local community board regarding seeking out dentists that don't do DEEP cleanings, even if it's recommended to the patient. In fact, some are a bit put off by it and don't buy into it and find it rather scammy.

One mentioned when she relocated to a new state, that she did routine cleanings, so she was always on top of that. Then when she relocated, she was told she needed a deep cleaning. She found that odd and wanted a 2nd opinion, and even posted on her local community board to find a good dentist that isn't scammy or a dentist that only does regulard cleanings even if a deep cleaning ordered.

I've seen quite a few postings of people that are anti-DEEP cleaning and find it a bit sketchy that this is done.

Some say, "All the dentists do 'deep cleainings' here, it's a rip off!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 04:56 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Some say, "All the dentists do 'deep cleainings' here, it's a rip off!"
I believe it is a scam. But faced with EVERY DENTIST I saw insisting I needed it done, and their passive aggressive failure to treat if I wouldn't do it, I finally gave in.

Though I will absolutely refuse in the future if another dentist tells me I need it done.

I had "pockets" of 4 and 5 and I know those are too low to have it done but they insisted.

I really think dentists are about to put themselves out of business because pretty soon most people are just not going to go any longer.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I believe it is a scam. But faced with EVERY DENTIST I saw insisting I needed it done, and their passive aggressive failure to treat if I wouldn't do it, I finally gave in.

Though I will absolutely refuse in the future if another dentist tells me I need it done.

I had "pockets" of 4 and 5 and I know those are too low to have it done but they insisted.

I really think dentists are about to put themselves out of business because pretty soon most people are just not going to go any longer.
Let me ask you this, after a full dental eval., did you have bone loss at all?

Right, but if you read about peoples' experiences of LEGIT having to have it done, due to obvious periodontal disease, there may be no choice. It's either that or bone/tooth loss. Pick your poison.

A quick google search revealed this:

Measure the pocket depth of the groove between your gums and teeth by placing a dental probe beside your tooth beneath your gumline, usually at several sites throughout your mouth. In a healthy mouth, the pocket depth is usually between 1 and 3 millimeters (mm). Pockets deeper than 4 mm may indicate periodontitis. Pockets deeper than 5 mm cannot be cleaned well.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:06 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Most dentistry is a scam these days. They want to squeeze as much money as possible out of you while they have you in their chairs.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Most dentistry is a scam these days. They want to squeeze as much money as possible out of you while they have you in their chairs.
maybe dentists are frustrated politicians.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:46 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I have VERY honest dentist and he never does DC. One before was pushing it twice a year.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:59 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
The problem with deep pockets is the dentist can't get that deep under the gum to clean it, without doing an actual "deep cleaning." Deep would be 5 or higher. If you have a 4, the dentist should point it out as a hot-spot worth watching. Sometimes you get a little inflammation and it goes away. But if that 4 turns into a 5 or worse at the next appointment, then it's time to do something about it.

I had a deep cleaning last year, all 4 quadrants, there was definitely inflammation and I have had bone grafting for bone loss in the past. But then I had to switch dentists, and the new dentist wanted to do one quad, and it was only 5 months after the last one. So I told her no, let's just put a little antibiotic around that one questionable tooth, and if it remains a 5 (doesn't get worse) or gets better on its own at the next appointment, I'll just be more vigilant about flossing in that spot, or avoid eating popcorn for a month (that's usually the culprit for me - the kernels get stuck between the gum and the tooth and it gets inflamed!).

I also have one spot that's typically a 7, but that's an implant tooth, so there's no actual tooth, it's just a screw, and so the gum recedes in that spot. There's really nothing to "do" about that, the screw's nice and tight in the bone and isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The problem with deep pockets is the dentist can't get that deep under the gum to clean it, without doing an actual "deep cleaning." Deep would be 5 or higher. If you have a 4, the dentist should point it out as a hot-spot worth watching. Sometimes you get a little inflammation and it goes away. But if that 4 turns into a 5 or worse at the next appointment, then it's time to do something about it.

I had a deep cleaning last year, all 4 quadrants, there was definitely inflammation and I have had bone grafting for bone loss in the past. But then I had to switch dentists, and the new dentist wanted to do one quad, and it was only 5 months after the last one. So I told her no, let's just put a little antibiotic around that one questionable tooth, and if it remains a 5 (doesn't get worse) or gets better on its own at the next appointment, I'll just be more vigilant about flossing in that spot, or avoid eating popcorn for a month (that's usually the culprit for me - the kernels get stuck between the gum and the tooth and it gets inflamed!).

I also have one spot that's typically a 7, but that's an implant tooth, so there's no actual tooth, it's just a screw, and so the gum recedes in that spot. There's really nothing to "do" about that, the screw's nice and tight in the bone and isn't going anywhere.
From what I understand, people resist the deep cleaning, and demand just a regular cleaning, from their dentist regardless of what's good for them.

Mainly the motivation here is the cost. But really, is that the solution?

Old 03-26-2021, 04:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
From what I understand, people resist the deep cleaning, and demand just a regular cleaning, from their dentist regardless of what's good for them.

Mainly the motivation here is the cost. But really, is that the solution?
Penny wise, pound foolish.

That's not to say that everyone needs a deep cleaning.

But sometimes, you do. And if you do, and refuse to get one, then you're basically encouraging decay and degradation of the bone structure of your mouth, which could lead to rotting teeth, abscesses, teeth that come loose and fall out, teeth that crack, bleeding gums, sinus problems, and possibly even septic infections that can travel to the brain.

And even THAT isn't a guarantee. You could need a deep cleaning, not get one, and never feel anything more traumatic than an occasional headache and need a root canal or two.

That's the problem with dentistry. You really can't predict what WILL happen. You can only predict what COULD happen, then consider your own dental history and habits, and come up with a logical, reasonable assumption based on that, of what will PROBABLY happen to YOU.

If you have a history of needing dental work, and the dentist says get a deep cleaning, you should probably get a deep cleaning. If you've had regular checkups including x-rays and probes for decades and come out squeaky clean with no trouble spots all that time, and a new dentist in a new location suddenly says you need a deep clean, well maybe you need a second opinion.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Penny wise, pound foolish.

That's not to say that everyone needs a deep cleaning.

But sometimes, you do. And if you do, and refuse to get one, then you're basically encouraging decay and degradation of the bone structure of your mouth, which could lead to rotting teeth, abscesses, teeth that come loose and fall out, teeth that crack, bleeding gums, sinus problems, and possibly even septic infections that can travel to the brain.

And even THAT isn't a guarantee. You could need a deep cleaning, not get one, and never feel anything more traumatic than an occasional headache and need a root canal or two.

That's the problem with dentistry. You really can't predict what WILL happen. You can only predict what COULD happen, then consider your own dental history and habits, and come up with a logical, reasonable assumption based on that, of what will PROBABLY happen to YOU.

If you have a history of needing dental work, and the dentist says get a deep cleaning, you should probably get a deep cleaning. If you've had regular checkups including x-rays and probes for decades and come out squeaky clean with no trouble spots all that time, and a new dentist in a new location suddenly says you need a deep clean, well maybe you need a second opinion.
I agree. I have a history of gum surgeries. I skipped going to the dentist for a year after I moved and was then told I needed a deep cleaning. Since I’ve already had 4 gum surgeries, I figured I’d pay the extra money for that as opposed to having yet another gum surgery in the future. My dad had not been to a dentist in 30 years and was told he needed a deep cleaning. I am pretty sure after 30 years, it’s a safe bet that you need a deep clean. FWIW, I was on a slightly more frequent cleaning schedule for about a year after the deep clean and am now back to regular semi-annual cleanings. Gum graft surgery is not pleasant (I’d rather do a root canal, frankly) and I don’t want any more. My mom goes to quarterly cleaning sessions now and I think my dad’s ramped up too, so I think I just have pretty bad gums in my genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health