Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 PM

90 posts, read 253,379 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I met with a periodontist earlier in the week regarding the possibility of an implant on tooth #12 (upper left, 1st premolar). He mentioned the main goal is to effectively stop my teeth from shifting further, which could result in more bone loss. He also recommended that after the implant I have some orthodontic work to straighten the rest of my teeth and prevent future bone loss.

I am curious, however, if the end goal is to realign my teeth, stop further shifting and bone loss, can I simply forgo the implant and go straight to the orthodontic work? Because the missing tooth is not visible, the esthetics of having the implant, to me, are nil.

I am also in need of a sinus lift if I go the implant route and that's something I'd really rather not do (The YouTube videos are....omg scary! It looks like they're carving pumpkins!!!). I suppose I am trying to get from point A to C without the necessity of an invasive procedure such as a sinus lift. I did read, however, that having your wisdom teeth extracted is, in actuality, more surgically invasive than a sinus lift (Kind of hard to believe, though. Again, those YouTube videos!). I did have all four wisdom teeth removed when I was a teen and had zero complications from it. No swelling, very minimal pain, etc. But that was also ~20 years ago. Some people I've seen a few days after the sinus lift surgery look like balloons from the swelling and I just don't want to go through all that if I absolutely don't have to.

I just thought I'd ask and see if this is even a possibls option or if anyone has any advice.

Many thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 12:14 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
I think sinus lifts are insane.

Ask about a partial. It won't prevent loss from the missing tooth but it will prevent teeth shifting. I'm supposed to be getting a Nesbit partial any week now for a missing molar...

Old 05-15-2021, 12:28 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
A sinus lift is no big deal. It’s just a type of bone graft that accompanies the implant placement procedure.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 PM

I guess my main question is, if the ultimate goal is to prevent further bone loss and shifting teeth, can't I just get something like Invisalign? Wouldn't that solve both problems?? I read that shifting teeth and spaces between is what causes bone loss. Straight teeth = strong bones. Having half a missing tooth is not what I'm worried about. You cannot even see it.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:50 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
You won't be able to move/rearrange any of your teeth near the implant once you have an implant. Always do the braces/invisalign first. Any teeth near the implant will not be able to move because the implant will be in your jawbone (unmovable). If you want your teeth straightened, you need to have that done first. Your dentist should have known that. If you look at the invisalign site I think it mentions, cannot be done with dental implants in place.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:19 PM

Good to know, toodie. Thank you.

I am still trying to discover, however, if getting Invisalign would supercede the need for an implant completely. All I'm worried about is any futher bone loss and shifting teeth. From what I have read online, straight teeth seem to solve both issues, but having confirmation would be fantastic.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:42 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
A sinus lift is no big deal. It’s just a type of bone graft that accompanies the implant placement procedure.

Have you had one?

Old 05-15-2021, 07:46 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Have you had one?
Yup. Four implants. Two sinus lifts.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Good to know, toodie. Thank you.

I am still trying to discover, however, if getting Invisalign would supercede the need for an implant completely. All I'm worried about is any futher bone loss and shifting teeth. From what I have read online, straight teeth seem to solve both issues, but having confirmation would be fantastic.
I have not had an implant or sinus lift so am talking from just what I know. A sinus lift is something I would try to avoid. The sinus lining can be easily permeated because it's thin and fragile, which could lead to chronic sinus infections in some people. Sometimes if there's a sinus lift done, a person needs to have a bone graft, also, which means more money and time.

Upper teeth meet lower teeth and form a correct "bite." If one tooth is missing, when you bite down, there will be a bite irregularity.

Just be sure if you're going to straighten your teeth, don't get an implant before doing that.
I would consider going to an orthodontist for an opinion. Probably will explain things pretty well, and they also use invisalign.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:49 PM

Yes. If I can avoid the implant and the sinus lift surgery, that would be ideal. My regular dentist does do orthodontic work, so I'm a little surprised they haven't/didn't mention Invisalign as a possible alternative. I certainly will need to inquire and find out for certain. Even if Invisalign is as costly as the entire implant process would be, I'd 100% rather go that route, assuming it would solve my dilema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health