Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 01:32 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I just "officially" retired but still have medical, dental, and vision insurance through my employer December 2022.

Out of curiosity, I googled "dental insurance" to see what options I might have as of January 2023, although I wasn't expecting much, given that dental insurance is generally very poor in the U.S. (if you can get it at all).

All that came up were a bunch of "dental discount plans" that listed discounts off participating dentists' "regular" prices for things like cleanings, check-ups, etc. No actual insurance plans.

But since dentists don't -- as far as I can tell from my own experiences and those of friends/family members -- publish their prices anywhere, then how do you know you're even GETTING the discount offered by said "dental discount plans"? Am I missing something or are the "discount plans" basically meaningless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 01:46 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OK, let me try again. To those of you who HAVE dental discount plans (instead of insurance): since dentists don't -- as far as I can tell from my own experiences and those of friends/family members -- publish their prices anywhere, then how do you know you're even GETTING the discount offered by said "dental discount plans"?

Seems like the only way you'd know is if you got a price first, then said "but I have this discount plan" and wait for the dentist's response. I suspect the dentist would say "We needed to know that before we did the work." Or am I being cynical?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:21 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
I'm not sure I have the correct answer.

But, I think they have codes for the dental work they do. So, may be they could write the corresponding code next to the price on your estimated bill. Then do the research on the internet, and go from there.

I was kind of wondering the same thing when I just got charged for my dental work I had done.

Hope I made sense lol.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
There is dental insurance.
I have Kelsey medicare advantage,there is an option for taking out dental insurance,there is a wait period,max and premium per month.
those dental plans you referred is just a discount,why cant you ask the company which sells these plans how it works

Old 08-12-2021, 11:17 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
How do dental discount plans work?
With discount plans, members pay an annual fee up front instead of monthly installments or premiums like traditional dental insurance. You are given a dental discount card, which you present at each dentist visit to get the lower prices on services.

These plans don't reimburse the dentists as regular insurance does. Instead, you pay the dentist directly. But remember, you must use a dentist in your plan’s network in order to get any discounts. Otherwise you’ll pay full price.

Full explanation:
https://www.humana.com/dental-insura...discount-cards

Old 08-13-2021, 08:30 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
A few dental discount plans like DentalPlans online state the regular prices, I believe. Or call a few of these companies and ask, tell them you are thinking of purchasing their plans.
The thing is, they list a code number and use technical terms that custmers dont know. Including me. You would have to look up every medical word. Every tooth is numbered. Prices vary based on location, I think? Have you tried asking the dental staff directly?

Old 08-15-2021, 12:42 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
There is a "schedule of fees" for dental services, that the insurance/plan company has for its in-network providers. That schedule of fees is usually less than "reasonable and customary" fees for various goods and services.

For instance:

If I need a root canal, the endodontist might have his usual cost be $1200 including post and porcelain-on-high-noble-metal crown. But because he's a network provider on my plan's list, he can't charge me more than $800, which would be a savings of $400.

That's just one example. You'd check with your plan's "schedule of fees" to see what is covered, and for how much, AND how much your selected dentist has agreed to charge you as an insured customer.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:29 PM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Many other customers visit the dentists and when your regular dentist provide you with a discount you know it. You get benefited by having a family doctor or dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health