Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 08:40 AM

316 posts, read 303,628 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago, at my last dental check up, I was told I'd need a mouth guard due to increased grinding/clenching. My dentist, whom I trust, offered to make a custom one. I'd need to schedule a separate visit to have the mold taken and it would be about 2 weeks after that before I'd have my new mouth guard.

I was hesitant, since I never liked the feeling of my retainer (as a teen) and other sports guards I've used over the years. And the idea of sleeping with something in my mouth was a bit off-putting! So she suggested I purchase an OTC guard to just give it a try.

I've adjusted really well to the over-the-counter brand I found and was wondering whether I could just stick with it long-term versus having a custom one made. The OTC one is very sleek and I'm guessing is much less bulky than the custom one.

It never occurred to me to ask my dentist whether an OTC one is good enough long term, so here I am, looking for insight from anyone who might have experience with this. I'd like to preserve my natural teeth for as long as possible, so if a custom guard would be more beneficial than I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 10:56 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Ask your dentist who knows your situation best. Take the OTC guard to an appointment so she can evaluate it. The material a particular OTC nightguard uses might not stand up to long term grinding/clenching pressure. You can generate an awful lot of pressure that gets repeated every single night. You could crack or even break it. There are different brands and I don't know what materials they each use. I ended up using one brand while travelling when I managed to forget to pack my custom one. I found it bulky and annoying compared to my custom guard that was shaped and trimmed down to fit my teeth very closely.

FWIW, I've used custom night guards for many years. I've found them very easy to tolerate after a couple of nights. The relief I got because of them was significant which reinforced forming the habit. It soon became quite automatic. You are lucky OP. When I first started using custom guards they were about 3 times the price to make! Of course, YMMV.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Mine has lasted about 5 years so far, I return it to the dentist when getting my checkup and they clean it with some special machine. It's expensive, about $700 then, but with my insurance I only had to pay half that. The store ones may be better than nothing, but the molded one is a perfect fit and keeps the teeth aligned all night.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:57 PM

Thank you both for responding.

Parnassia - that's exactly my concern...whether the OTC material will stand up to continued use. The product I bought actually contains 2 guards and is marketed to last for a full year (by replacing at 6 month mark). I don't have another appointment scheduled until my usual 6 month cleaning visit. Do you think I can wait to address the issue at that point or do things really go downhill quickly with clenching/grinding? I haven't struggled with morning headaches or tooth pain at all and my dentist certainly didn't give me a sense of urgency about the situation.

Hemlock140 - I'm so happy to hear yours have lasted that long! I was worried it was going to be a regular/yearly cost. The estimate I had gotten from our insurance plan was around $600, with us having to pay half.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Thank you both for responding.

Parnassia - that's exactly my concern...whether the OTC material will stand up to continued use. The product I bought actually contains 2 guards and is marketed to last for a full year (by replacing at 6 month mark). I don't have another appointment scheduled until my usual 6 month cleaning visit. Do you think I can wait to address the issue at that point or do things really go downhill quickly with clenching/grinding? I haven't struggled with morning headaches or tooth pain at all and my dentist certainly didn't give me a sense of urgency about the situation.

Hemlock140 - I'm so happy to hear yours have lasted that long! I was worried it was going to be a regular/yearly cost. The estimate I had gotten from our insurance plan was around $600, with us having to pay half.
I don't see how anyone could predict how long one would last...we don't have your mouth. Guess you'll have to find out for yourself. Unless you want to consult with your dentist sooner than your next appointment. As for not knowing how much you are actually grinding, your dentist can tell from looking at your teeth. FWIW, I ground my teeth for years without knowing about it. My dog (the only being who shares my bed ) didn't complain about noise and I didn't consistently wake up with jaw pain or headaches. My teeth were still damaged.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-13-2021 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2021, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Besides the damage to the teeth, I found that I would sometimes be awakened in pain having bitten the inside of my cheek while sleeping. Most of my tooth damage was old fillings from when I was a teen, and some that were big and left thin walls that could break. If your teeth are in otherwise good condition the store bought guard should be fine until your next appointment.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:53 PM

314 posts, read 195,676 times
I've been using the OTC night guards for more than 5 years now, originally recommended by my dentist. Each unit gets rinsed & dried every morning, then replaced whenever the material shows signs of deterioration or it no longer feels right. The ones I've used tend to yellow and harden over time so that's my indication it's time to make a new one. The key to proper fit on these is following the directions precisely. FWIW I've found that wiggling my jaw slightly during the molding process keeps it from being too tight which would wake me up during the night. I actually think because I'm so used to inserting it before I drift off each night it helps me relax, sort of like a gown-up pacifier...

Old 08-13-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
I actually think because I'm so used to inserting it before I drift off each night it helps me relax, sort of like a gown-up pacifier...
I can relate. It is also reassuring (ie relaxing) to know I'm no longer crushing my teeth to bits all night long. I've also found brushing my teeth and putting my mouthguard in earlier in the evening helps keep the urge for midnight snacking down too!

Old 08-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
I've been using the OTC night guards for more than 5 years now, originally recommended by my dentist.
Happy to hear the OTC guards have worked for you for so long!

My youngest has a cleaning next month so I'll speak to my dentist at that visit to clarify the benefits of custom vs OTC.

Thank you all for the input.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
My dentist and dental hygienist recommended a custom night guard duriing my regular 6 month appointment this morning. So, I did a search here and came up with this thread.

They both said they wear one every night. The hygienist said that most people who try the OTC route end up being unhappy with them and convinced me to make an appointment for a custom one. There is no doubt I'm hard my teeth. I've cracked several in half which now have crowns. She said even the crowns show wear from grinding now. I can also feel new wear on the backsides of my front teeth.

Getting older is beginning to suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health