Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 05:06 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times

Advertisements

Well, Mom came back from a new dentist yesterday. It was just x-rays & examining. She needs to return 3 more times (eh!) to do some work (crowns, deep cleaning, fill cavities). They didn't ask her to gargle wi/ whatever solution I thought ALL dentists do these days...the iodine solution poster illtaketwoplease mentioned in post # 7 . However she knew to rinse w/ hydrogen peroxide before she left the house & as soon as she got back home.

My Mom said their equipment seemed older than her previous dentist. W/ the x-rays, they had to do it in about 5 different locations in her mouth, but the previous dentist was much less.

When I asked her if she felt safe there, she said honestly she doesn't feel safe anywhere, but they did the best they could (she hoped)! She goes back next Monday.

Thanks for all the comments, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 08:54 PM

39 posts, read 31,230 times
I don't believe anyone has caught COVID-19 from dental work.

I would add that in February last year (2020) my dental hygienist had a mean cough during my cleaning. Didn't notice it at first. I asked her if she had a cold and she ignored my question. Next time I will simply walk out whether COVID-19 is going on or not.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:47 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKANEHI View Post
I don't believe anyone has caught COVID-19 from dental work.

I would add that in February last year (2020) my dental hygienist had a mean cough during my cleaning. Didn't notice it at first. I asked her if she had a cold and she ignored my question. Next time I will simply walk out whether COVID-19 is going on or not.

Woah, severe or minor cough, if it's consistent, I'd be very fearful & say, I'm just going to have to reschedule.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, Mom came back from a new dentist yesterday. It was just x-rays & examining. She needs to return 3 more times (eh!) to do some work (crowns, deep cleaning, fill cavities). They didn't ask her to gargle wi/ whatever solution I thought ALL dentists do these days...the iodine solution poster illtaketwoplease mentioned in post # 7 . However she knew to rinse w/ hydrogen peroxide before she left the house & as soon as she got back home.

My Mom said their equipment seemed older than her previous dentist. W/ the x-rays, they had to do it in about 5 different locations in her mouth, but the previous dentist was much less.

When I asked her if she felt safe there, she said honestly she doesn't feel safe anywhere, but they did the best they could (she hoped)! She goes back next Monday.

Thanks for all the comments, guys!
I have never rinsed with any solution and have had many dentists over the years. If it is the antiseptic mouthwash, most don’t like you to swish it around your mount anymore. If I had a specific area of need, the preference has been to apply it separately with a q-tip to that area.

Bitewings are also the standard x-ray in 4-5 places. The panorama is much more expensive and tends to be done only once every several years.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:40 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have never rinsed with any solution and have had many dentists over the years. If it is the antiseptic mouthwash, most don’t like you to swish it around your mount anymore. If I had a specific area of need, the preference has been to apply it separately with a q-tip to that area.
Just had an old leaky filling replaced yesterday. Most of their protocol hasn't changed over the past year (pre-screening upon arrival, masks, temp check, not sitting in a common waiting room, dental staff masked, gowned, face shields, gloved, etc) except the mouth rinse. I asked about that. Dentist explained that depending on the procedure, they use dental dams to isolate the area of work and apply an antiseptic with a swab.

The dentists I've used over the past few years also do bitewings more routinely than the panoramic. That's often done as part of establishing a new patient's record.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-31-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 02:28 PM

204 posts, read 128,123 times
We've gone to the dentist for our regular cleanings starting July of last year. Prior to the appointment, we are asked to complete a pre-screening. My hygienist was dressed in scrubs, disposable robe, hair net, booties, gloves, plastic shield over her face and N95 mask. Since COVID, we have been asked to sanitize our hands and do a special oral rinse right before the cleaning. Our dentist's office really went above and beyond with their cleaning routine (which was great pre-COVID), so we weren't concerned. Having said that, there is always a risk. I can see putting off a regular cleaning, but if there is an ongoing problem then it's best not to postpone it.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
See this just confuses me. I have been running around doing normal stuff (just not going to work) since March of 2020 -- I even had a colonoscopy.

And never got covid. Just had an antibody test.

But I hear of some people picking it up at a gathering or at the supermarket... how is that possible.

This is why I think I could be naturally immune.
Must be your high levels of Vitamin D.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:46 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I've been to the dentist 4 times since November 2020 including twice in the last 2 weeks and don't have it yet

Old 09-26-2021, 06:13 PM

183 posts, read 454,381 times
If covid infections are aerosolized (checks notes, they are 100%), how is it safe to sit in a dental chair after some random person(s) were there before you?

Please dentists, let us know. I need specifics.

I called mine and they told me the patient treatment room would "settle" for 15 minutes and they would wipe down the counter tops. They literally have no other covid measures in place. I was also told patient masking was discontinued due to people getting vaccinations.

Last edited by saintpetegirl; 09-26-2021 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 07:35 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
If covid infections are aerosolized (checks notes, they are 100%), how is it safe to sit in a dental chair after some random person(s) were there before you?

Please dentists, let us know. I need specifics.

I called mine and they told me the patient treatment room would "settle" for 15 minutes and they would wipe down the counter tops. They literally have no other covid measures in place. I was also told patient masking was discontinued due to people getting vaccinations.

That's probably cuz you're in Florida. If you want to be extra extra careful find a dentist that still requires masks.

But as long as the staff are masked your risk is verrrrrrry low, and since you've been vaccinated (right?) its even lower.

ttps://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-05-17/odds-of-catching-covid-at-dentists-office-very-low-study
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health