Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 05:16 PM

19 posts, read 19,478 times

Advertisements

Haven't been to the dentist in 4 years. But for the past 2 years i have this tooth that has been bothering me. The tooth doesn't look bad but been having some sensitivity and mild pain. One thing i have noticed is when i floss around the tooth the gums are a little painful and i feel a notch on top of the tooth near the gum. Food seems to be getting stuck there when i floss. Is it possible the tooth can be infected or could there be a cavity near the gum? I think im gonna try to go to the dentist next week finally and have it checked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 01:29 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover308 View Post
Haven't been to the dentist in 4 years. But for the past 2 years i have this tooth that has been bothering me. The tooth doesn't look bad but been having some sensitivity and mild pain. One thing i have noticed is when i floss around the tooth the gums are a little painful and i feel a notch on top of the tooth near the gum. Food seems to be getting stuck there when i floss. Is it possible the tooth can be infected or could there be a cavity near the gum? I think im gonna try to go to the dentist next week finally and have it checked out.
Its been bothering you for 2 years? Way past time for the dentist! In general, the longer you ignore a problem the worse it gets and the more you'll pay to fix it.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:42 PM

20,108 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I knew a guy that never went to the dentist until he was in great pain. His latest trip the dentist told him he needed $40K worth of dental work, he asked the dentist to do $40 dollars worth.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 19,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Its been bothering you for 2 years? Way past time for the dentist! In general, the longer you ignore a problem the worse it gets and the more you'll pay to fix it.
Yeah i know im dumb. But the last time i was as the dentist i had a root canal that failed that got infected and had to be extracted. Since i don't really want to go thru another root canal im probably just gonna get it extracted. But i hope it is only a small cavity that can be filled but if it's not then im not doing another root canal. Thei infected root canal was the worst pain ever don't want to go thru that again But on the bright side i am saving up money. Recently, i bought myself a brand new car with cash. My next step is to save up a little more money for a while and get a couple implants since i am already missing 2 teeth and if this one has to be extracted then that will make it 3.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:25 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Early diagnosis and treatment of teeth save your teeth and save you a lot of pain. Delaying the treatment increases the problem as well as the dental expenditure.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover308 View Post
Yeah i know im dumb. But the last time i was as the dentist i had a root canal that failed that got infected and had to be extracted. Since i don't really want to go thru another root canal im probably just gonna get it extracted. But i hope it is only a small cavity that can be filled but if it's not then im not doing another root canal. Thei infected root canal was the worst pain ever don't want to go thru that again But on the bright side i am saving up money. Recently, i bought myself a brand new car with cash. My next step is to save up a little more money for a while and get a couple implants since i am already missing 2 teeth and if this one has to be extracted then that will make it 3.

You need to get your priorities straight.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:00 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taknitaka View Post
Oh, how do I get to the dentist? I know there's a problem, but I'm really scared.
You are not alone. Many people are afraid of the dentist. But, nothing will get better if you don't MAKE yourself go, despite your fear. If you don't face the problem it will get worse and so will your anxiety. That's no way to live. Facing fears is empowering and hands you more control instead of letting the fear control you. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. Do you have insurance? Its possible your carrier could recommend a local dentist who has a good reputation with more anxious patients. There are short-acting anti-anxiety meds that can make a dental appointment less worrisome. The dentist might provide you one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-27-2021 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 05:47 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taknitaka View Post
Oh, how do I get to the dentist? I know there's a problem, but I'm really scared.
How have you gotten there before? Have you gone before? I was never scared but never loved going either. I went a lot in my early years but as I've gotten older I've changed my sugar intake and carbs and have not been in many years. I take supplements that keep my gums healthy and have Cut out sugars Majorally....

Old 10-27-2021, 06:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You are not alone. Many people are afraid of the dentist. But, nothing will get better if you don't MAKE yourself go, despite your fear. If you don't face the problem it will get worse and so will your anxiety. That's no way to live. Facing fears is empowering and hands you more control instead of letting the fear control you. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. Do you have insurance? Its possible your carrier could recommend a local dentist who has a good reputation with more anxious patients. There are short-acting anti-anxiety meds that can make a dental appointment less worrisome. The dentist might provide you one.
I don’t think dental procedures and anti-anxiety medications are a good combination since epinephrine tends to be used with other anesthetics. There are lots of dentists who offer sedation dentistry, however. If you know you will be nervous, I’d say go with one you know offers sedation.

FWIW, I dated a guy who was so phobic of the dentist that he let a tooth rot in his mouth. It was so painful that he was popping Vicodin like candy for 2 months. Once he finally got it extracted (it was black), he then went through Vicodin withdrawals. This was like 15 years ago when Vicodin was easier to obtain. I could never figure out how a trip to the dentist was better than MONTHS of pain followed by drug withdrawal symptoms.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:15 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t think dental procedures and anti-anxiety medications are a good combination since epinephrine tends to be used with other anesthetics. .

are epinephrine and anxiolytics contraindicated? I don't think they are. I always ask for no epinephrine and its never a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health