Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 8,152 times

Advertisements

My spouse has made an appointment for me to see a dentist about straightening my teeth - she called someone we know and set it up and then told me. I haven't been to a dentist in many many years due to a traumatic experience and now outright embarrassment. My dental health has suffered but I am so embarrassed at the condition my teeth are in that I am beyond scared seeing someone I know. Furthermore, straightening is not the issue, I know I will need to have multiple teeth removed - I have lived in pain and fear all this time and have not even been able to speak with my wife about it. She is making me go because she says my teeth look ridiculous for a business professional(my main issues are teeth you cannot see that are cracked and broken). I don't know what to do. I haven't been able to go to a dentist because years ago I was having cavities filled and when I told the guy I was in pain he stated it wasn't his problem and that I did it to myself. He continued to work on my as I had tears streaming down my face and his assistant suggest he stop for a moment, he told her I was a baby and should just deal with it and be embarrassed for acting that way. I left absolutely mortified and haven't been able to visit a dentist since. I have tried but every time I freak out thinking what they will think of me. How can I even face someone I know - just writing this has me freaking out. I know I need the help but am absolutely mortified, scared and embarrassed. Is it better to reach out to the dentist and just have a conversation at the first meeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 83,577 times
Sorry to hear about your last experience, the way that dentist treated you sounds absolutely unacceptable. Reach out to a different dentist and have a conversation about your last experience and your concerns. You've let that traumatic experience cement a fear of going back to the dentist in your brain, but the longer you hide from that fear..the stronger the fear gets. Best way to deal with fear is face it directly on.. exposing yourself to the fear...and eventually your brain will start to recognize it as a normal situation and not a threat. Try not to drink too coffee before the appointment as it can aggravate anxiety (and your bladder, lol)

Old 09-23-2021, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have always hated going to the dentist, and at times have gone way too long between visits. I always had to pay for it with fillings, crowns, and implants. I finally learned my lesson and now I'll call and get an appointment as soon as I have any pain, because waiting only ,makes it worse. What might start out as needing a simple filling can end up with a root canal if you wait too long. Now as miserable as it is to think about going in, I consider the alternative, which will be much worse in time, pain, and cost. You might be able to make an appointment to just discuss with your dentist, but they may insist upon a checkup and X-rays. My dentist has a consultation room where we will discuss a treatment plane when there is extensive work required.
You might also consider asking for Nitrous oxide when getting the treatments. I only had that once, for an extraction and bone graft, and it's instant sleep and wake up when done. No pain, no anxiety.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:57 AM

178 posts, read 82,559 times
They have gotten a lot better. But know what you mean. Took me years to go back.

They even teach in dental school. That people rate dentist the highest. Based on how friendly and pain free they make it.

And lets face it. Average person does not know if they had good dental work or bad. They just rate on the above.

Dont let you mind actually make yourself feel more pain. But they are still used to that.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:05 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
First of all I'm so sorry that happened to you. That sounds horrible.

Let me tell you my story and it might make you feel better. We didn't go to a dentist growing up. I'm not sure why - my mother had a full set of dentures in her 50's. I saw a dentist for the first time at 16 - my gums were bleeding. Wasn't terrible but wasn't pleasant either. I didn't go again until I was in my mid 30s. The dentist was shocked that my teeth were in such good condition - no cavities, but obviously a lot of plaque and tartar build up. I still didn't get the concept of having regular cleanings and checkups until I a friend who was a hygienist and she convinced me to see the error of my ways. I was around 50 at this point.

I went to her and it took multiple visits to get my teeth clean and my gums in better shape. She was as gentle as she could be and totally non-judgmental about my prior neglect. She educated me on the importance of oral health - it's not just about your teeth, although preserving your teeth and gums as you get older will save you a lot of trouble and a lot of money.

The longer you wait, the worse it will get and the more expensive dental work will be. One thing you might consider is finding someone who will do sedation dentistry. I think the industry has changed and the dentists know they need to address people's fears if they want to help them.

If you're not comfortable going to the dentist your spouse selected, do some research and find one that gets great reviews and possibly does the sedation as well.

5 years ago, i finally had all my wisdom teeth removed - all 4 at once! I picked an awesome oral surgeon and I was knocked out for the procedure. I would never have thought I could face that years before.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,745 times
I suggest speaking to the dentist and the hygienist before the day of your appointment. Explain your fears, just like you explained it in your post here.

Ask what they can do to help you feel less afraid. If this dentist does not appear to be patient and calm and ready to take the extra time you will need, than find a dentist better suited to you.

There are dentists that specialize in anxious patients.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:00 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieBonVoy View Post
My spouse has made an appointment for me to see a dentist about straightening my teeth - she called someone we know and set it up and then told me. I haven't been to a dentist in many many years due to a traumatic experience and now outright embarrassment. My dental health has suffered but I am so embarrassed at the condition my teeth are in that I am beyond scared seeing someone I know. Furthermore, straightening is not the issue, I know I will need to have multiple teeth removed - I have lived in pain and fear all this time and have not even been able to speak with my wife about it. She is making me go because she says my teeth look ridiculous for a business professional(my main issues are teeth you cannot see that are cracked and broken). I don't know what to do. I haven't been able to go to a dentist because years ago I was having cavities filled and when I told the guy I was in pain he stated it wasn't his problem and that I did it to myself. He continued to work on my as I had tears streaming down my face and his assistant suggest he stop for a moment, he told her I was a baby and should just deal with it and be embarrassed for acting that way. I left absolutely mortified and haven't been able to visit a dentist since. I have tried but every time I freak out thinking what they will think of me. How can I even face someone I know - just writing this has me freaking out. I know I need the help but am absolutely mortified, scared and embarrassed. Is it better to reach out to the dentist and just have a conversation at the first meeting?
The most they would do at your first appointment is take x-rays and maybe clean your teeth. They will then set out a treatment plan which you can agree to or not. As far as dental anxiety during a procedure, ask for Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)

Old 09-25-2021, 07:30 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Valium. I took 10 mg the night before and 20 mg the morning the oral surgeon pulled 2 wisdom teeth with a local, and he could have pulled all my teeth and it wouldn't have bothered me. Until afterward. Then I would have been mad.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
For most of my life I had to have multiple numbing injections (for the same spot) and I would still feel pain, but lately there is a numbing gel used before the injection which now works perfectly with only one.

If it really bothers you to see someone you know do a little research for a dentist that "caters to cowards". These practices are fantastic and will help you with your dental health which is more important than most people realize.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about since there so many who are terrified to go to the dentist. The last dentist you saw should be ashamed of himself.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
You should be seeing a general dentist before the orthodontist, and I am sure you will hear the same advice from the ortho. They want your teeth in good shape before they start treatment.

Ask around for recommendations, a good idea is to ask your doctor or their nurse - medical professionals know who is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health