Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 10:14 PM

652 posts, read 520,982 times

Advertisements

I purchased some mouthwash and I bought a small plastic container. So I just refill the container with mouthwash and I place it in my backpack. My dilemma is that I drink out of the container whenever I want to gargle some of the mouthwash. I'm wondering if drinking out of the container each time is unhygienic? Wouldn't there be some backwash? Is there a better method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 07:26 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I purchased some mouthwash and I bought a small plastic container. So I just refill the container with mouthwash and I place it in my backpack. My dilemma is that I drink out of the container whenever I want to gargle some of the mouthwash. I'm wondering if drinking out of the container each time is unhygienic? Wouldn't there be some backwash? Is there a better method?
You seem to be asking about a thing that only requires a little bit of common sense. But sure I'll bite:

Pour a capful of the mouthwash into the cap of the trial-sized mouthwash (you do know you can buy those for like a buck in most pharmacies right?).

Open your mouth, put the flat of the back of your tongue on your upper palate to keep liquids from pouring down your throat. Tilt your head back slightly, and dump the cap over so the capful of liquid falls into your mouth. Swish and rinse. Your cap never touches your mouth.

"But...but...the cap is too SMALLLLLLLLLL"

Well hey - surely somewhere in your house, you have a cap of some bottle that's bigger than the trial size cap. Maybe it's the cap to a plastic orange juice container. Maybe it's the cap to a jelly jar. Who knows! Again - this is common sense, no McGuyver stuff necessary here. Find a cap. Clean it. Keep it in your backpack. Use that to fill it with whatever liquid you're needing from one moment to the next.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:31 PM

23,282 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Um, think about this for a moment. You're using the mouthwash for what reason? To make use of its antibacterial qualities, right? Don't you think the active ingredients of that mouthwash will resist the unhygienic nature of "backwash" for quite a while? Especially if you only carry a small amount with you. You will probably use up that volume of mouthwash long before it would succumb to the scary effects of backwash. However, if you were planning to spit the "used" mouthwash back into the container over and over that will pose a very different problem!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-20-2022 at 01:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2022, 03:15 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
"But...but...the cap is too SMALLLLLLLLLL"
When I travel and take a small bottle of mouthwash with me I also take a plastic dispenser cup from a bottle of cough medicine or Nyquil. I use the little cup and then wash it out after using it. Works for me!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 07-20-2022 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2022, 04:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Stores like Walmart, Target and some supermarkets have "Travel Size" products including mouthwash. I keep one in my backpack and when empty fill it from the big bottle in the master bath.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
It's like worrying you are going to infect a disinfectant. Just swallow. It's not going to kill you. No innuendo intended.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Stores like Walmart, Target and some supermarkets have "Travel Size" products including mouthwash. I keep one in my backpack and when empty fill it from the big bottle in the master bath.

I like this idea. That's what I do with hand sanitizer. I just refill the travel size from the jumbo bottle. But I'm not sure the travel size is safe for reuse (ex: BPA safe). What I will do is use my small plastic container and fill the cap with the mouthwash. I didn't think it would be big enough to fill the mouthwash. I tried it and it's fine.

I usually have a lot of onions for lunch so I make it happen to gargle with mouthwash afterwards.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:10 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Don't gargle with mouthwash. You could end up with ulcers. Mouthwash is a rinse, meant to be used in your mouth, not in your throat.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Don't gargle with mouthwash. You could end up with ulcers. Mouthwash is a rinse, meant to be used in your mouth, not in your throat.

Oh, yes, I never gargle. I used the wrong word. I just swish it in my mouth. I would be obnoxious if I gargled at work.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:24 PM

23,282 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post

I usually have a lot of onions for lunch so I make it happen to gargle with mouthwash afterwards.
If your primary concerrn is bad breath, there are these things called breath mints

What about these? No need to haul potentially spillable liquids around:

https://www.vitacost.com/listerine-p...%20care_makeup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health