Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:57 AM

315 posts, read 299,401 times

Advertisements

So I had veneers put in about 3 months ago. After that I have been brushing the veneers and not my real teeth which sit under the veneers.

Being that I have been drinking coffee, soda, beer, etc for the past 3 months don't the liquids seep onto the surface of my real teeth which are covered by the veneers. So if this is so and I have not brushed the "real teeth" for a while is this not very bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 09:21 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
How would you brush the "real teeth"? Wouldn't you have to remove the veneers to do that? Are you brushing the back of your veneered teeth and in between them? Do you floss between the veneered teeth?

Adding: maybe you are talking about something other than veneers? I have a few veneers (I don't like them) and they are not removable for me to be able to brush the tooth underneath.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:50 PM

315 posts, read 299,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
How would you brush the "real teeth"? Wouldn't you have to remove the veneers to do that? Are you brushing the back of your veneered teeth and in between them? Do you floss between the veneered teeth?

Adding: maybe you are talking about something other than veneers? I have a few veneers (I don't like them) and they are not removable for me to be able to brush the tooth underneath.
Even though veneers are not removable when you drink beer or other beverages does the liquid not sip into the surface of the veneers, or are the veneers sealed super air tight?

Old 12-12-2023, 01:51 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Ask your dentist?

Old 12-12-2023, 01:54 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Brush your teeth/veneers and kill the bacteria.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:00 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
From what little I've read about veneers (a sibling got some) the veneer doesn't cover the entire tooth, so some parts of the natural enamel will still be exposed to food, saliva, and consequently, plaque bacteria. The problem isn't that things penetrate the veneer material itself (unless it is an old veneer that's wearing out...veneers don't last forever), just that the entire tooth isn't completely sealed over. You still need to brush and floss all sides of veneered teeth just as carefully as you would if they were natural. If not more carefully. In fact, as part of the veneer preparation, some of the natural tooth surface may have been ground down. That could actually leave the tooth more vulnerable to decay.

Didn't the dentist who applied your veneers explain any of this to you? If you aren't brushing or flossing your veneered teeth OP you're headed for trouble!

How you would ever manage to brush the natural tooth underneath its coating of veneer I can't even imagine.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-12-2023 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-12-2023, 03:05 PM

6,339 posts, read 2,889,808 times
The cement that seals veneers can deteriorate and leak so you need to keep an eye on their condition or bacteria will get in and the tooth will decay.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:49 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Even though veneers are not removable when you drink beer or other beverages does the liquid not sip into the surface of the veneers, or are the veneers sealed super air tight?
My veneers are sealed super air tight, but they don't cover the back of the tooth so I really spend a lot of time at night on my dental hygiene. I use a flosser to get underneath 2 permanent bridges I have, I floss every tooth, I brush with an electric toothbrush, I use a water pic and then I rinse with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide/mouthwash. I feel my teeth and veneers get cleaned with this process. I did have 2 veneers fall off after about 12 years, I think it was due to a new permanent bridge I got that changed my bite. I replaced one veneer with a crown and one veneer was glued back on, I never feel confident that this second one will stay on and this happened a few years ago. If this one falls off again, I will replace it with a crown.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2023, 12:18 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
why would you get veneers instead of fixing your Natural teeth? Isn't that just a band aid to cover up bad looking or stained teeth? I always wondered that.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:36 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
why would you get veneers instead of fixing your Natural teeth? Isn't that just a band aid to cover up bad looking or stained teeth? I always wondered that.
Well, yes, a veneer is a cosmetic cover up. No one claimed otherwise. What makes a tooth "bad looking" may be more than color. It could be unusually small, chipped, discolored because of something structural (not just a surface stain), result of some previous medical treatment or long term medication, etc. The shape and size may be an issue. Can't do much to "fix" that other than replace the tooth itself or cover it up...in other words, apply a veneer!

https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-veneers

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-13-2023 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health