Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 08:16 AM

21 posts, read 30,405 times

Advertisements

It has recently come to my attention that I grind my teeth at night. My dentist has suggested I begin wearing a mouthguard at night to prevent further damage to my teeth. I don't really want to do this. Anyone grind their teeth in the past? How did you stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
For me the mouthguard has made a huge difference, much less damage to my teeth from the grinding. I don't know of any way to actually stop. It only took a few weeks to get used to remembering to us it, and I sleep better with it because I'm no longer aware of the grinding. They are available off the shelf, but having mine made by the lab after the dentist took impressions made it fit perfectly.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 30,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For me the mouthguard has made a huge difference, much less damage to my teeth from the grinding. I don't know of any way to actually stop. It only took a few weeks to get used to remembering to us it, and I sleep better with it because I'm no longer aware of the grinding. They are available off the shelf, but having mine made by the lab after the dentist took impressions made it fit perfectly.
How long have you been wearing it? How long do you think you will be wearing it for?

Old 12-21-2023, 09:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I could not wear it. Mine was also made by the dentist (impressions+lab). I used meditation, positive affirmations, mindfulness techniques, yoga, walking outside etc. It took me some time (months) to get rid of this unpleasant habit.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:56 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I have ground my teeth for decades. For me anyway it isn't something intermittent or temporary because it seems to be triggered by long standing malocclusion issues. My bite's a mess. Should have had braces when I was a kid but my tight-fisted father couldn't be convinced the problem was bad enough because my smile "looked" OK . I'll probably grind my teeth forever.

Sometimes people who are under unusual stress over a specific period of time will clench their jaw/grind their teeth while asleep. It's one way the body tries to relieve tension. If the stress ends up being dealt with the grinding stops. Unfortunately, the person who grinds can't always tell whether they do or don't unless they also have jaw pain. If you share your bed with someone they may hear it. Unfortunately, my dogs never brought it to my attention .

I've worn various types of nightguards for many years too. A custom-fitted guard may only need a few nights to get used to and incorporate into your nighttime routine. There are DIY self-molding types and "one size fits all" OTC drugstore options but they tend to be bulkier, don't fit as well, and end up harder to ignore. I've tried a couple but didn't like them.

I didn't know I ground my teeth until I went to a dentist because of TMJ (Trans Mandibular Joint) symptoms. I was waking up with a sore jaw, aching face, headaches, day after day. He examined my teeth and found a lot of physical damage from grinding. A person can exert enough pressure on their teeth they can actually create creases and stress fractures in the tooth, even break them! He built me a nightguard (back in the days when there were fewer options than there are now) and I felt relief within a couple of days. It made such a huge difference it was well worth getting used to! The dentist also arranged a few sessions with a PT who taught me several jaw/neck/shoulder stretches that also helped relieve pain and muscle tension. Most of the dental work I've needed done has been to repair physical damage from grinding. It can get expensive so don't ignore it.

Nightguards work if you wear them. Not only do they protect your teeth from grinding damage directly, they can also change the angle of your jaw enough to reduce how often or hard you grind even if it doesn't actually stop the process. Even if you still go through the grinding motions, the guard will prevent damage to the tooth's enamel. These days a dentist can take a mold of your teeth and have multiple sets of nightguards made by labs that manufacture those clear braces in just a few days. They're much less expensive than the old true custom types.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-21-2023 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-21-2023, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago33 View Post
How long have you been wearing it? How long do you think you will be wearing it for?
It's been about 15 years, and my wife got hers about 8 years ago. She had to replace it for some reason but mine is the original. When I visit the dentist for cleanings I bring it and they use an ultrasound washer on it.
I don't think I would ever not use it. Now if I anticipate another question related to "relationships", we keep a plastic tray on both nightstands to drop it into if we decide to have some activity before sleeping.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:08 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
I use Sleep Right Dental Guard and love it. I like it much better than the custom one from the dentist which made me clench down so hard my jaw ached in the morning.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:20 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's been about 15 years, and my wife got hers about 8 years ago. She had to replace it for some reason but mine is the original. When I visit the dentist for cleanings I bring it and they use an ultrasound washer on it.
I don't think I would ever not use it. Now if I anticipate another question related to "relationships", we keep a plastic tray on both nightstands to drop it into if we decide to have some activity before sleeping.

No, we weren't going to ask.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
My first mouth guard was a bust. It fit over my lower teeth & literally fell out of my mouth at night.

The technology has improved. The one I have now fits snuggly over my upper teeth. It was created by a 3D printer, believe it or not.

It was really necessary, because the tooth grinding, in addition to wearing off the enamel, & grinding down the teeth, was also loosening my teeth.

I sleep better now & don’t have the sore jaw & headaches from grinding. I’ll be wearing a mouthguard for the rest of my life. The way this one was made was a huge, positive difference. So, I would recommend it. I can’t think of how to stop grinding your teeth while sleepinng. My daughter has one as well.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:00 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
I had my first night guard made around 7 years ago. It was heavy acrylic, fitted to my mouth from a mold. It finally cracked a few weeks ago. My retainer for my lower teeth is also in lousy shape, so my dentist said he'll set me up with 4 full sets (upper/lower) of retainers. The top one will work fine as a mouth guard even though it'll be a little thinner. But since the kit comes with 4 of them, the combination will last longer than 7 years.

These are also acrylic, just not as thick as a traditional acrylic mouth guard.

I'm so used to wearing them at night, that when I forget to put them in I spend around 20 minutes in bed feeling like I just can't get to sleep, and eventually remember why and get up and put them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health