Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 06:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That's a fair point to make. But the fact that its a great money maker doesn't mean that's why it is the standard of care, which you seem to be suggesting. It may be because, in their experience and the experience of others they network with, it "seems to work" better than not doing it in their clinics, in certain cases. And probably there are some greedy dentists who overuse it, so caveat emptor, get a 2nd opinion if uncertain, and all that.

But this kind of unproven "seems to work" medical recommendation isn't limited to deep cleaning, or even dentistry though, even in circumstances where there is little money to be made.
He's commenting on a thread about deep cleaning, with "ammunition" to prove the wrong point. The report he cites isn't about deep cleaning. It's about routine perio maintenance, which is a different procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 10:29 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Some are recommending the deep cleaning as a preventative now. Do I need it now? No, but chances are I will at some point. No thank you.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
He's commenting on a thread about deep cleaning, with "ammunition" to prove the wrong point. The report he cites isn't about deep cleaning. It's about routine perio maintenance, which is a different procedure.
If you read the full Cochrane report (not just the summary), it states that they can't make an evaluation of scaling as treatment because there is no study that compares it to a control population...It has merely been accepted by the medical community as THEE way to treat periodontal disease....You're free to fantasize about their motives. Mine is that it's strictly the economic incentive.

I submit that subgingival plaque (the stuff they try to scrape off) is a RESULT of periodontal disease, not the CAUSE....I'm perfectly willing to change my opinion if anyone can show me a prospective, controlled study that shows pts with existing periodontal disease lose fewer teeth after scaling than those who don't do it.

Old 02-10-2024, 12:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you read the full Cochrane report (not just the summary), it states that they can't make an evaluation of scaling as treatment because there is no study that compares it to a control population...It has merely been accepted by the medical community as THEE way to treat periodontal disease....You're free to fantasize about their motives. Mine is that it's strictly the economic incentive.

I submit that subgingival plaque (the stuff they try to scrape off) is a RESULT of periodontal disease, not the CAUSE....I'm perfectly willing to change my opinion if anyone can show me a prospective, controlled study that shows pts with existing periodontal disease lose fewer teeth after scaling than those who don't do it.
As treatment FOR A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

I read it. If you want better data, then it behooves you to seek it out. Maybe go to dental school. Tufts is accepting new students for the next semester.

Old 02-10-2024, 04:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

I read it. If you want better data, then it behooves you to seek it out. Maybe go to dental school. Tufts is accepting new students for the next semester.
In other words, you can't provide the proof we need. Thanks for your uninformed opinion.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:39 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
More info to argue about

https://jada.ada.org/action/showPdf?...2815%2900334-7

Evidence-based clinical practice guideline on the nonsurgical treatment of chronic periodontitis by means of scaling and root planing with or without adjuncts

Scaling and root planing. For patients with chronic periodontitis, clinicians should consider SRP as the
initial treatment (In favor, Box 1). We note that the strength of the recommendation is limited because SRP
is considered the reference standard and thus used as an active control for periodontal trials and there are few
studies in which investigators compare SRP with no treatment.

CONCLUSIONS
A multidisciplinary panel convened by the ADA CSA presents clinical practice guidelines on the nonsurgical
treatment of chronic periodontitis by means of SRP with or without adjuncts on the basis of a systematic review of
the evidence. For patients with chronic periodontitis, SRP showed a moderate benefit, and the benefits were
judged to outweigh potential AEs. We voted in favor of SRP as the initial nonsurgical treatment for chronic
periodontitis.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:00 PM

62 posts, read 14,662 times
Just talked to my dental hygienists about your question and she said it averages about 250 a quadrant and varies around the country.
She explained this is for people who get items stuck into deep tissue and have dental disease so it is needed and not a rip off.
The reason it happens is people do not take care of their oral health early on in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health