Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 10:59 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I waited too long to get a crown once, the tooth fractured and cost $770 to remove.
Me too and ended up having to have ANOTHER root canal done and get the crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 02:49 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I waited too long to get a crown once, the tooth fractured and cost $770 to remove.
Oh no I have a cracked tooth and the darn thing is right smack in the front. The most noticeable to see and the most painful for numbing injection

My dentist is really good she got it where it will hold for a while but to put a crown on before I lose the tooth is hard for me since I now fear that needle in that area and the color will not match. My teeth are yellowish she said it's age. So to have that tooth match the other teeth in the front I picked the color and she said no I can't have that color it's too white. Then her receptionist even comes out with you can't have chicklet white teeth. Yeah time for a new dentist as much as I like this one. Problem is it is extremely expensive to put me under light anesthesia without needles in my mouth. I think it is called sedation dentistry it's insane what they charge. I miss the days when it was done in the dentist office when removing impacted teeth.

Last edited by staystill; 03-28-2024 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: last paragraph

Old 03-28-2024, 04:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I waited too long for a crown on one tooth after a root canal. Yada, yada, yada, the tooth broke and had to get a much more expensive implant.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Oh no I have a cracked tooth and the darn thing is right smack in the front. The most noticeable to see and the most painful for numbing injection

My dentist is really good she got it where it will hold for a while but to put a crown on before I lose the tooth is hard for me since I now fear that needle in that area and the color will not match. My teeth are yellowish she said it's age. So to have that tooth match the other teeth in the front I picked the color and she said no I can't have that color it's too white. Then her receptionist even comes out with you can't have chicklet white teeth. Yeah time for a new dentist as much as I like this one. Problem is it is extremely expensive to put me under light anesthesia without needles in my mouth. I think it is called sedation dentistry it's insane what they charge. I miss the days when it was done in the dentist office when removing impacted teeth.
Your teeth are yellowish, but you picked a bright white crown, and somehow that's a criticism against the dental office?

Also, you have chosen not to have a dental plan. So you have to accept that the prices are going to be pretty high. Dental plans reduce the cost for the patient, because the dentist contracts with the plan company to provide treatments at a "bulk rate." They get more patients by offering discounts to people on that plan.

Lastly, conscious sedation requires facilities that are equipped to handle medical emergencies, while the lidocaine shot only requires that they have an epi-pen handy for allergic reactions. That equipment isn't cheap and most patients don't need it, so the cost has to be covered by fewer people - each paying more. It also requires that the facility has the necessary (and also not cheap) permits and licensing to keep controlled substances on the property, and the necessary security and secure storage of those substances.

Ask your dentist if he could do this weird "cheek trick" - he'd gently pinch the cheek, between the cheekbone and the jawline, and sort of shake it briskly, making it feel like it's vibrating. He does that with one hand while using his other hand to administer the injection. There's also a mechanical device that looks like a cosmetic eye roller, that can be rubbed just above the outer corner of the eyebrow. And that vibrates.

It's partly psychological, and partly neurological. It's basically a distraction that your nerves respond to. If they do it right, you don't even realize they've just injected the lidocaine at all. You just don't feel it go in, or the burn, or the needle coming back out again.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:45 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have had two root canals and went quite a while before getting crowns on them, with no problems. I eventually wound up with 8 crowns, they are all excellent and feel like normal teeth, only one is a bit too light in color. I was offered the chance to have it re-done but it's not a front tooth so I declined. Not too many people peering into my mouth anyway.

About the anesthesia, I had a dentist who did the cheek trick and it resulted in a sore injection spot, as it is moving your tissues over the point of the needle. Most dentists should be using a numbing gel on your gum before the injection.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:05 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have had two root canals and went quite a while before getting crowns on them, with no problems. I eventually wound up with 8 crowns, they are all excellent and feel like normal teeth, only one is a bit too light in color. I was offered the chance to have it re-done but it's not a front tooth so I declined. Not too many people peering into my mouth anyway.

About the anesthesia, I had a dentist who did the cheek trick and it resulted in a sore injection spot, as it is moving your tissues over the point of the needle. Most dentists should be using a numbing gel on your gum before the injection.
It's usually done on the opposite cheek. In the OP's case, his injection was going in the front, so either cheek would be fine. Nowhere near the injection site. You could also do a spot on the outer thigh, but that'd require a second person in the room (logistics).

Old 03-29-2024, 10:57 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Get the crown. Properly done it is like a normal tooth.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:30 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
You know you've found a great Endodontist when they can do a root canal without anesthesia....or a Dentist that can prep and place a crown without it.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:04 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
You know you've found a great Endodontist when they can do a root canal without anesthesia....or a Dentist that can prep and place a crown without it.

Well if the nerve is dead it isn't going to hurt.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Was a trained dental assistant in my past life. Two main reasons for a crown after a root canal. The dead tooth will eventually discolor to a gray. A dead tooth will be more brittle and crack. It's already a compromised tooth, may have had deep filings etc. A crown may save what's left of the tooth/root structure holding in your jaw/upper bone. If it cracks the next step is extraction.

Regarding the lidocaine injections for numbing. It's all about technique. The dentists are taught but not all have patience. The slower injections, the lidocaine is injected as it goes in a numbs the tissue ahead of it. The juggling helps it disperse a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health