Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 11:09 AM

7,769 posts, read 3,360,986 times

Advertisements

I have one very expensive tooth. I had a root canal and a crown. Then, a year later it became inflamed. So, my dentist sent me over to the oral surgeon. They wanted to try to save the crown so they drilled into. Nope, that didn't work... Then, it needed an implant followed by another crown (insurance doesn't pay to crown the same tooth twice). Implant was an interesting experience. I think it is probably the gold standard over a bridge. However, I agree with someone above citing their age. I'm not sure at nearly 80 I would go to the expense of a crown. They do tell you that you start losing bone if you don't do an implant (and it distorts your face).

I gather money is no object; do the implants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 08:15 PM

2,718 posts, read 1,222,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The best option will depend on the rest of your teeth surrounding the tooth that needs to be removed. Your dentist will either advise you, or send you to an oral surgeon who will advise you.

Some people are good candidates for a bridge; the surrounding teeth are healthy enough to be used as "anchors" for it. Some people are not good candidates for that, in which case an implant is recommended since it doesn't need anchor teeth.

Some people are bad candidates for implants, because their bone is unhealthy and can't support the fixture. In that case, a bridge is advised. If the bone and adjoining teeth are both bad, they might suggest a flipper, which is an old-school denture with wires that wrap around the teeth next to the space, and the fake tooth is obviously fake but at least it fills in the empty gap.
That is what I wanted but my Dentist told me they don't make them anymore. Not sure I believe her. Well after getting the expensive cheezy bridge called the flexible partial bridge that has a sort of rubbery claw on each side of the fake tooth I couldn't stand it. That damn thing kept squeezing my gums on the inner and outer sides. The pressure from chewing made the bottom of that thing act like a suction cup.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:31 AM

6,180 posts, read 4,573,145 times
Not sure it's true that if you don't do an implant you lose bone and distort your face. Also not true they don't make flippers anymore. All sales push, IMHO.

I have a bridge and three implants, and don't get me started on genetics, or the cost. The bridge is just fine, but if and when it goes, that's four teeth involved. The implant is one. There is a lot of time involved and not much difference in the cost, depending on a lot of things, but overall I'd vote for implants. If something happens to one, it's ONE. The dentist said I didn't have enough bone. I went to the oral surgeon who said I had plenty. So far so good - on both the bridge and the implants.

So whatever feels better to you, or is more in your budget, that's the right thing. The outcome in both cases is nice looking, functional teeth.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:43 AM

3,482 posts, read 2,477,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Not sure it's true that if you don't do an implant you lose bone and distort your face. Also not true they don't make flippers anymore. All sales push, IMHO.

I have a bridge and three implants, and don't get me started on genetics, or the cost. The bridge is just fine, but if and when it goes, that's four teeth involved. The implant is one. There is a lot of time involved and not much difference in the cost, depending on a lot of things, but overall I'd vote for implants. If something happens to one, it's ONE. The dentist said I didn't have enough bone. I went to the oral surgeon who said I had plenty. So far so good - on both the bridge and the implants.

So whatever feels better to you, or is more in your budget, that's the right thing. The outcome in both cases is nice looking, functional teeth.
If you don't replace the tooth with /something/ then yes - eventually your bite will change, the bone loss will shift the other teeth in the mouth, and your appearance will change as well. Whether an implant or a bridge that you wear except when you're sleeping (unless it's a permanent bridge which is attached 24/7), doesn't matter so much as long as it's something to keep the -other- teeth from moving toward the gap in your gumline.

If you don't have enough bone, they'd usually do grafting before the implant. If the bone is diseased, then they wouldn't do grafting because it'd just get resorbed into the diseased bone and become diseased as well.

If a bridge comes loose or cracks, they just remove it and replace it with a new one. Only time they'd do something other than that, is if the anchor teeth under the bridge are bad and need replacing. And then they could either expand the bridge and grind the adjacent teeth to accommodate the crowns, or pull them all and give you a partial denture, or implant the bunch of them.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:18 AM

7,266 posts, read 4,640,175 times
Most people need a sinus lift if they’re getting implants on the top. They can also use cadaver bone if you don’t have enough. As someone that’s had both bridges and implants I would get the bridge since you are only replacing one tooth.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:27 AM

2,718 posts, read 1,222,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

I am curious as to which Insurance would, if any, help pay for dental implants. I have private dental Insurance and Medicare. I have two front teeth that will need to be replaced/crowned but not sure about the other front around them but I see they will go on me too. I have no clue what is best I only know those needles in the front top are just to scary to go through again.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I am curious as to which Insurance would, if any, help pay for dental implants. I have private dental Insurance and Medicare. I have two front teeth that will need to be replaced/crowned but not sure about the other front around them but I see they will go on me too. I have no clue what is best I only know those needles in the front top are just to scary to go through again.
Implants are considered elective, not medically necessary. So you shouldn't expect any insurance to cover the cost of implants. However, some Medicare Advantage plans offer a dollar amount toward medical expenses not already covered. Usually it's something like $200-500/year. You could use that to offset the cost.

Also remember even with other kinds of procedures - there's usually a waiting period. You can't go to a dentist, find out what you need done, and THEN sign up for insurance and expect them to cover it. You get the insurance first - wait anywhere from 6 months to 18 months (depending on the plan and the company), and THEN get the diagnosis and treatment schedule.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:57 PM

23,456 posts, read 19,122,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faibas View Post
Hi, if I had my wisdom teeth removed, should I get an implant?
No one here would have any idea. Talk to the dentist who knows the anatomy of your particular mouth/jaw. Because of their bite, for some people, wisdom teeth are actively involved in chewing food. For others they aren't. Some people don't even have wisdom teeth or they never erupt. They're considered "vestigial teeth". Implants are expensive. Can't imagine someone spending all that $ to replace a non-essential tooth.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...3-wisdom-teeth

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faibas View Post
Hi, if I had my wisdom teeth removed, should I get an implant?
You don't need your wisdom teeth. So no I wouldn't get them replaced.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,578,903 times
I would go with the recommendations of a dentist, especially when it's a less expensive and less painful solution. I have 4 implants now, but at $4-6,000 apiece, and insurance paid only about 1/3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health