Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 56,713 times

Advertisements

I have a crown on my back tooth. Lately food has been getting caught in between the tooth. Also, when I floss, the floss sometimes gets caught. The dentist said the crown is cracked and must be replaced. The tooth does not bother me. Do I need the whole crown replaced or can it be glued or something? This dentist loves to do crowns. He is also recommending a crown for another tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanslett View Post
I have a crown on my back tooth. Lately food has been getting caught in between the tooth. Also, when I floss, the floss sometimes gets caught. The dentist said the crown is cracked and must be replaced. The tooth does not bother me. Do I need the whole crown replaced or can it be glued or something? This dentist loves to do crowns. He is also recommending a crown for another tooth.
I would have to say get a new crown.. Food will keep getting lodged in which will lead to bacteria growth underneath.... I would have to suck it up and get a new crown.... Probably cost you in the range of 700-1000.00...I know I just had one put on on a molar!! Ugh.

I feel your pain!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 54,897 times
If I have a hole in the crown, and I have the crown for only a year and half, should the dentist be responsible for fixing the crown?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Legally? No - unless he offered some kind of parts warrantee on the crown - which is not anything I've ever heard of. It's more likely that you ate something you shouldn't have eaten and it broke the crown.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 AM

105 posts, read 618,311 times
Unfortunately, it sounds like you need a new crown. Once a crown is cracked the structure and support is lost. You would not want to jeopardize the tooth underneath ESP. on a molar because it gets a lot of use. I have had extensive dental work btw. In your situation you do not know where this crack is and there may be parts you cannot see. I am also assuming this is a porcelain type of crown in which case you would definitely want to replace it because they are more likely the shatter in more than one place if it is already damaged. Best of luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanslett View Post
I would have him show you where the crown is cracked in a mirror. It may have just gotten a rough spot and a bit of grinding will do the trick maybe not.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 54,843 times
I have a cavity at the base of my crown. It was not there 6 months ago and does not show on an xray but "catches" with the dentist's probe. Can this be filled or do I need a whole new crown? Two dentists, two different answers.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
It really depends. I had a bridge, and needed a root canal, and they were able to drill right through the porcelain and metal without having to remove the bridge. But then I had a some decay on one of my molars and they had to remove the old crown to get to the damage. It sounds like you'll have to weigh the risks vs. rewards of each. Make sure you get a detailed explanation from each dentist so you have as much information as possible when making your decision.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times
I have one more suggestion and this is what I have done. When I went to two different dentists and got two different estimates (one for $5K and one for $8K) I decided to go to a dental school, which is not for profit and supervised by real dentists. This way, I know I am not getting ripped off and only getting the work done I need. Might be an option to consider to get a third unbiased opinion.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 40,452 times
My crown just fell off when I was eating a stewed chicken thigh..........a metal prong is sticking up......what do I do now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health