Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times

Advertisements

Our combined bill for gas and electric averages about $100/month, and water is about $20/month for an 1800 sq. ft. house with four people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Our combined bill for gas and electric averages about $100/month, and water is about $20/month for an 1800 sq. ft. house with four people.
Wow. Well done, you. Secrets, please. One day, I'd love to "wrap" our unfinished basement and replace our windows, but I doubt even then our bills would be as cheap as yours. Do you have grass? I loved our xeriscape that we had in Arizona and would happily replace our front yard grass with xeriscape but the HOA says that's a no-no.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
. . . Do you have grass? I loved our xeriscape that we had in Arizona and would happily replace our front yard grass with xeriscape but the HOA says that's a no-no.
FYI, Colorado law does not allow an HOA to require grass or prohibit xeriscaping. After the drought and water restrictions of 2002, it became clear that action was needed. In 2005, the Colorado legislature enacted Section 37-60-126(11)(a) of the Colorado Revised Statutes. It provides that:

Quote:
Any section of a restrictive covenant that prohibits or limits xeriscape, prohibits or limits the installation or use of drought-tolerant vegetative landscapes, or requires cultivated vegetation to consist exclusively or primarily of turf grass is hereby declared contrary to public policy and, on that basis, that section of the covenant shall be unenforceable.

A "restrictive covenant" in the statute is defined as
Quote:
any covenant, restriction, bylaw, executive board policy or practice, or condition applicable to real property for the purpose of controlling land use, but does not include any covenant, restriction, or condition imposed on such real property by any governmental entity.

So talk to your HOA.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Hmmm. Good question. I'm not sure I have any secrets, and I don't do anything crazy, like turn off the water heater for most of the day or make everyone take Navy showers, but here's a description of our household.

We have a very small yard and drought-tolerant grass. We use our sprinkler system very sparingly. I capture water from the roof in a rain barrel for irrigating our vegetable garden, and I capture the warm-up water from the shower on the potted plants.

Our power bill is low in the summer because we do not have air conditioning. We have only one electric garage door opener, and we've trained ourselves to use it only for pulling the car in and out. Right after we moved in, we increased our roof vents and insulated our garage walls to keep the upstairs bedrooms cooler in the heat of summer. We also checked all our outlets to make sure that none were "leaking" electricity.

Our dryer runs on natural gas, and we have a low water-usage, front-load washer. We do not have any extra appliances, like a freezer or microwave, just the basic range, fridge, and dishwasher, which we use sparingly. We have our computer on a power strip, which we turn off at night, and we do not have a television.

That's all I can think of right now.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
FYI, Colorado law does not allow an HOA to require grass or prohibit xeriscaping. After the drought and water restrictions of 2002, it became clear that action was needed. In 2005, the Colorado legislature enacted Section 37-60-126(11)(a) of the Colorado Revised Statutes. It provides that:

So talk to your HOA.
Funny that you would say that because we just got our semi-annual HOA newsletter and in there was an article written about that very same law you mentioned and how our HOA still says we can't do it. They listed a bunch of rules and bylaws and even used the fact we're in unincorporated Arapahoe County as another reason. Our HOA included in the newsletter the rules about grass (must be front and back and HEALTHY (meaning "not dead" I presume)) and also the rule that everyone must have at least TWO trees in their front yard.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Funny that you would say that because we just got our semi-annual HOA newsletter and in there was an article written about that very same law you mentioned and how our HOA still says we can't do it. They listed a bunch of rules and bylaws and even used the fact we're in unincorporated Arapahoe County as another reason. Our HOA included in the newsletter the rules about grass (must be front and back and HEALTHY (meaning "not dead" I presume)) and also the rule that everyone must have at least TWO trees in their front yard.
So if you would really like to have xeriscaping, perhaps you should attend an HOA meeting and start to make noise.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Hmmm. Good question. I'm not sure I have any secrets, and I don't do anything crazy, like turn off the water heater for most of the day or make everyone take Navy showers, but here's a description of our household.

We have a very small yard and drought-tolerant grass. We use our sprinkler system very sparingly. I capture water from the roof in a rain barrel for irrigating our vegetable garden, and I capture the warm-up water from the shower on the potted plants.

Our power bill is low in the summer because we do not have air conditioning. We have only one electric garage door opener, and we've trained ourselves to use it only for pulling the car in and out. Right after we moved in, we increased our roof vents and insulated our garage walls to keep the upstairs bedrooms cooler in the heat of summer. We also checked all our outlets to make sure that none were "leaking" electricity.

Our dryer runs on natural gas, and we have a low water-usage, front-load washer. We do not have any extra appliances, like a freezer or microwave, just the basic range, fridge, and dishwasher, which we use sparingly. We have our computer on a power strip, which we turn off at night, and we do not have a television.

That's all I can think of right now.
Wow. Again, well done you. We don't have a lot of appliances either but our HOA said specifically we weren't allowed to "collect" rainwater.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Wow. Again, well done you. We don't have a lot of appliances either but our HOA said specifically we weren't allowed to "collect" rainwater.
Once again, there is Colorado law that controls this. The HOA does not. In this instance, the HOA is right though. With some very few exceptions, Colorado water rights laws prohibit collecting rainwater.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Once again, there is Colorado law that controls this. The HOA does not. In this instance, the HOA is right though. With some very few exceptions, Colorado water rights laws prohibit collecting rainwater.
I thought they just changed the law recently to allow rain barrels.

I love HOAs that think they're above state law. But what are you going to do? Say you rip out your lawn. The HOA makes your life a nightmare and you wind up spending thousands of dollars either defending yourself or suing them.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:

So talk to your HOA.
I didn't know that Colorado had a statewide law that covered this. That's great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver