Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 12,152 times

Advertisements

Is there a law against having BBQ grills on the balcony in Denver? Please advise looking to purchase a grill and want to be sure I get the right one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,679 times
what do you mean "on the balcony"? A house, business, condo, apartment, etc..?

I know certain complexes and HOAs restrict certain things. I've never seen an apartment complex that allows a charcoal grill, some allow gas grills

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Default Data are your friends

Grills and Barbecues on Balconies read the rules at DenverGov

Quote:
Grills and Barbecues on Balconies

Denver’s Fire Code consists of the International Fire Code and specific Denver Amendments to that code. The base International Fire Code does not permit barbecues on balconies, period--no exceptions. However, the Denver Amendments do allow barbecuing on balconies with small, controllable amounts of fuel. Click here for a copy of this code section/amendment.

For new construction, we encourage developers to put natural gas connections for barbecue grills into new residential complexes. For existing buildings, the Denver Amendments provide an exception by which people can barbecue with a 1-lb. cylinder of propane (enough for two or three cooking sessions) and one extra 1-lb. bottle. No permit is required. Charcoal barbecues are not allowed on any building balconies.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM

473 posts, read 848,909 times
When I lived in a high rise the rule was a small propane tank (like camping size) was permitted. I believe these are still ok.

That makes sense, as open fires and large multiple propane tanks in a high rise or multi unit building could be a big hazard.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
I had a tenant once, who took a nap after grilling his lunch on the balcony. I was called to the scene by the police department. The 4 unit town home was burnt to the foundation. The winds picked up during his nap, caught the wood shake roof on fire. He lost everything. No renters insurance.

The other 3 owners were put up in the Embassy Suites hotel for 125 days while they reconstructed the town homes.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,003 times
It varies from complex to complex also. I've lived in complexes in Denver and surrounding cities that do not under any circumstances permit grills on the balconies. Not even the little ones.

Check with your property management.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:57 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
You need to contact management/landlord first

Old 04-28-2022, 08:18 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrajensen View Post
Hello,
I live in a condo with a patio and so I have no backyard. I cook a steak right now in a cast iron pan and an electric oven using a technique like this. It tastes ok but when I cook steak it fills the whole house with smoke. I also wanted to cook pork chops and grilled chicken. I have an electric grill. I was wondering if buying a propane grill for a single person will make any difference to the taste of food vs cooking it in an electric oven?
I don't have any cooking tips for you, but I hope you have a working smoke alarm and a range hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: